Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 09:43 AM

17 posts, read 6,314 times

Advertisements

Wow - you guys are giving me a lot to consider and a lot of great information - thank you SO much!!

A few of you mentioned Squirrel Hill? What about the High School in this zone? My oldest son will be going into 6th grade so only a few short years from having to worry about HS's. Don't get me wrong, we would love to be in the city (we've been living in downtown Rome for 5 years and love city living) but schools are our #1.

Also - my husband's co-workers all live in North Hills area and told him to stay north due to traffic?? Now looking at a map, that doesn't necessarily make sense to me given his office location, but again - I know nothing of the area/traffic patterns.

We have friends that grew up in Pittsburgh and raved about Mt. Lebanon, but then we heard traffic from that area is horrible?

A 30-40 minute commute isn't so bad for my husband - we're used to Rome traffic and before Rome, we both commuted to NYC from NJ so we're used to it, but obviously if there are options that meet our needs and cut out the commute - then great!

Thanks again for all your feedback - it helps tremendously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:50 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
Taylor allderdice is the high school for squirrel hill. Its the best ranked city school. https://discoverpps.org/allderdice

From the north, you can guarantee a no tunnel commute into the city. From the south/west and east, you Typically have at least one tunnel to go through and in all fairness, they do get pretty backed up.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghviaRome View Post
Wow - you guys are giving me a lot to consider and a lot of great information - thank you SO much!!

A few of you mentioned Squirrel Hill? What about the High School in this zone? My oldest son will be going into 6th grade so only a few short years from having to worry about HS's. Don't get me wrong, we would love to be in the city (we've been living in downtown Rome for 5 years and love city living) but schools are our #1.

Also - my husband's co-workers all live in North Hills area and told him to stay north due to traffic?? Now looking at a map, that doesn't necessarily make sense to me given his office location, but again - I know nothing of the area/traffic patterns.

We have friends that grew up in Pittsburgh and raved about Mt. Lebanon, but then we heard traffic from that area is horrible?

A 30-40 minute commute isn't so bad for my husband - we're used to Rome traffic and before Rome, we both commuted to NYC from NJ so we're used to it, but obviously if there are options that meet our needs and cut out the commute - then great!

Thanks again for all your feedback - it helps tremendously!

Squirrel Hill is a nice area, more urban feeling than North Hills area to me and more walkable depending on exactly where. In terms of schools, SH will be Pittsburgh City SD. You will likely have larger schools, ratings vary but Allderdice HS ranks well, there are also magnet schools you can apply for but no guarantees. (see below for SH School info link).

One thing I will say is people from one side of the river tend to think highly of their side which is why your husband's coworkers likely recommend that area. Schools are generally ranked well there though. Also consider what activities your kids enjoy, smaller schools may not offer as much as middle or larger. Are you from NJ originally? That is where I grew up, exit 63.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/lar...pittsburgh-pa/

Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 AM

755 posts, read 472,738 times
Mt Lebanon or Upper St Clair are excellent districts. Mt Lebo is a bit more diverse and there is no district transportation. We have friends in Mt Lebo who really like the area and the schools. I live in the South Hills and the commute from there would average about 30 minutes. Squirrel Hill to the S Side can take that long or longer on a bad day, but I am guessing it would be closer to 20 mins average, the evening commute being worse due to certain bottlenecks. There's good bus service between the two nodes.

Another option is to take the light rail from Mt Lebanon to Station Sq and then either walk/bus/bike the rest of the way.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:01 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Traffic in Pittsburgh can't compare to New York or Rome. There are a few annoying choke-points because of the topography and rivers. Your husband's co-workers were probably referring to the lack of a tunnel on the route into the city from the north hills, whereas the southwestern and eastern suburban commuters have a tunnel to contend with, which does cause backups.

I can vouch for Squirrel Hill, and my brother and his family lived in the North Allegheny School District and were happy. It all comes down to your gut feeling. You really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far. Squirrel Hill has a big international population, is near the universities and medical complexes, great access to parks, museums, and libraries, and you can meet people from all over the world. There's lots of things to occupy and educate kids in the neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Squirrel Hill is a nice area, more urban feeling than North Hills area to me and more walkable depending on exactly where. In terms of schools, SH will be Pittsburgh City SD. You will likely have larger schools, ratings vary but Allderdice HS ranks well, there are also magnet schools you can apply for but no guarantees. (see below for SH School info link).

One thing I will say is people from one side of the river tend to think highly of their side which is why your husband's coworkers likely recommend that area. Schools are generally ranked well there though. Also consider what activities your kids enjoy, smaller schools may not offer as much as middle or larger. Are you from NJ originally? That is where I grew up, exit 63.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/lar...pittsburgh-pa/
Yes! Exit 114 (Holmdel).

And it's funny you say that - we have heard that people are particular about their sides of the river and don't tend to move from one to the other! I guess there's something to be said about loyalty and pride

I'm not sure city schools are what we're looking for, but they're not totally off the table.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Colfax feeds to Allderdice for grades 9-12. I would say Allderdice is the best of the neighborhood high schools. It's not bad, but it draws from a mixture of wealthy and poor neighborhoods. You can see the differences if you look at the aggregate test scores. Frankly if you're white or Asian, it's a good school, but it doesn't serve 40% or so of students who are black very well on the whole. I've heard from parents there really is minimal interaction between the two student bodies though - kids get tracked quickly on "college prep" or otherwise and then barely see one another.

Lots of Colfax parents make the choice to send their kids in 9th grade to one of the city magnet schools for high school - either CAPA (creative/performing arts) downtown or the Science & Technology magnet in Oakland.

Quote:

Basically the commute to the North Hills would be almost all highway driving, but - depending upon the time - that could be heavily congested. In contrast with Mt. Lebanon it would be all surface driving, so it's going to be around the same driving commute time no matter the day.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Traffic in Pittsburgh can't compare to New York or Rome. There are a few annoying choke-points because of the topography and rivers. Your husband's co-workers were probably referring to the lack of a tunnel on the route into the city from the north hills, whereas the southwestern and eastern suburban commuters have a tunnel to contend with, which does cause backups.

I can vouch for Squirrel Hill, and my brother and his family lived in the North Allegheny School District and were happy. It all comes down to your gut feeling. You really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far. Squirrel Hill has a big international population, is near the universities and medical complexes, great access to parks, museums, and libraries, and you can meet people from all over the world. There's lots of things to occupy and educate kids in the neighborhood.
Thank you! That's really helpful - and you're so right....it does come down to a gut feeling, which is so hard because we've never been there! Most times as you drive through an area or look at houses/neighborhood - you can get a "feel" and I can't get the "feel" from across the ocean, unfortunately! I just want to choose the right area for our kids!

Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Thank you! That's really helpful - and you're so right....it does come down to a gut feeling, which is so hard because we've never been there! Most times as you drive through an area or look at houses/neighborhood - you can get a "feel" and I can't get the "feel" from across the ocean, unfortunately! I just want to choose the right area for our kids!
While it doesn't in any way substitute for the real thing, Google Street View is your friend here.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 AM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I just don't want to see someone else end up like RCLMA. He moved to the South Side and commutes to Beaver. He hates his commute, and now I think that's a large reason why he doesn't like living here.

The bottlenecks Pittsburgh has are incredibly frustrating for navigating around.

I mean from Squirrel Hill to the South Side Works you can actually just hop onto I-376 (Parkway East) inbound and stay right in the onramp lane to get off the Glenwood exit in a few minutes. There's then usually a choke point between Bates/Second/Hot Metal, but that choke point is usually 10 minutes at most. So even with heavy traffic it's usually a 20-minute commute between South Side Works and Squirrel Hill.

I just feel like traffic will be a bear getting to South Side Works from Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, or the Avonworth area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh