Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Meanwhile I just bought a 130-year-old house that is structurally-sound and just needs some mechanical and cosmetic updating. Contrariwise there was just an article about a bunch of homeowners in South Fayette Township who bought new construction homes from Ryan Homes that are already falling apart. Sometimes newer isn't always better.
Welcome to home ownership. Don’t worry you will spending more than you think to upkeep a 130 year old house. Your definition of better is much different than mine and most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
I can see how you'd think that is a poor opinion with a certain perspective, but I don't want 99 million from the federal government (population dependent) for a bus line.

Regarding your other point, about the housing being under-maintained, I think of that as a plus! It gives me the opportunity to buy cheap houses and improve them.
Pittsburgh wants to be a big city wants big city stuff. Yet folks on this board are ok with the stagnation. Why on earth would or should the feds write that big check for a rapid bus line. It just doesn’t make sense. You cannot have both. A good quality of life is a safe area where families want to live. A vibrant business district with things to do. Infrastructure is constantly being maintained because of the tax revenue being brought in. Pittsburgh doesn’t fit that right now. My opinion on quality of life is much different than those posting on here. Again if Pittsburgh was always small like around 100,000 residents I can see the argument. You have infrastructure in place to serve way more than that. I don’t want to see bridges crumbling or closed because there is no money to fix. Plus if you think that is going to be attractive to outsiders think again.

I’d rather live in a vibrant city of 40,000 with a solid and growing tax base, safe for families, decent wages and infrastructure that is kept up. Not many want to live in a city that once held nearly 700,000 residents that is unable to maintain infrastructure, continuously losing families and school age children with roads that haven’t been repaved in decades and bridges needing totally redone before they crumble. And residents that think and feel this is a relevant and vibrant city, yet are ok with decline and medicority. Hows that livable and a good quality of life?

I think this city can do much better. It really needs to decide what it wants to be. Are we going to shrink responsibility and be come a good small city or do we still want to be considered a big important city. You can’t have both.

Why do you job growth is currently so low in Pittsburgh? If you are an outsider wanting to expand or start a business this town is a tough sell and for the reasons I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 04:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
I am a native Pennsylvanian with family all over the state. I currently reside in Southeast Pennsylvania which is BOOMING. By all metrics the 5 Philadelphia area counties are on fire. Growth. Money. Projects. Jobs expanding everywhere you look.

From my observations with Pittsburgh is their is a continuation in blue collar decline while the white collar economy continues to expand and both are fighting on top of each other and reflects the job numbers. It really tells the American story of the new 21st century economy.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:15 AM

527 posts, read 320,122 times
Philly benefits from healthy non domestic in migration and good natural change (many more births than deaths). It doesn't do well with domestic migration, where it continues to bleed.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Philly also benefits from NJ. NJ is so bad at so many things that many people move across the boarder to PA to escape. Commutes to their jobs are not much different. I grew up in NJ, I know more people from growing up that now live around Philly than still live in NJ.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:51 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Pittsburgh and Buffalo have more jobs than 20 years ago. Cleveland and Detroit do not.

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Cleveland

Detroit

Examining job growth since the end of the last recession misses the bigger picture, given that Cleveland and Detroit still haven't fully recovered from two recessions ago.

Aggregate job growth (December 2000-December 2019)

+40,600 in Pittsburgh
+9,600 in Buffalo
-60,200 in Cleveland
-185,200 in Detroit

Percent job growth (December 2000-December 2019)

+3.5% in Pittsburgh
+1.7% in Buffalo
-5.3% in Cleveland
-8.3% in Detroit

Old 03-02-2020, 03:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Pittsburgh and Buffalo have more jobs than 20 years ago. Cleveland and Detroit do not.

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Cleveland

Detroit

Examining job growth since the end of the last recession misses the bigger picture, given that Cleveland and Detroit still haven't fully recovered from two recessions ago.

Aggregate job growth (December 2000-December 2019)

+40,600 in Pittsburgh
+9,600 in Buffalo
-60,200 in Cleveland
-185,200 in Detroit

Percent job growth (December 2000-December 2019)

+3.5% in Pittsburgh
+1.7% in Buffalo
-5.3% in Cleveland
-8.3% in Detroit
Nice to see the real picture. This really shows the story as Pittsburgh is way ahead of all its peers. Thanks for posting some facts. Longer sample statistics are key for real trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh