Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning to move in together come this August, but we have a commute issue. We need to find a place that is about an equal commute to Beaver Falls (for him) and to Oakland (for me). We were thinking about some of the neighborhoods off of 279-S, but other people have suggested trying places around Route 65. I'm from the North Hills, so that is really the only area/roads that I am familiar with. We are looking for a place with reasonable rent as well as the best commute for the both of us. Any suggestions will be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:14 PM

136 posts, read 166,996 times
Hmm...I think the only suggestion I can come up with is Moon Township.

He could commute up 60 N to Beaver Falls (probably about 20 miles from Moon). If I'm not mistaken, I think Beaver Falls is the last exit on 60 before it becomes tolled so that would be good news.

And you could commute the Inbound Parkway West (60/22/30/I 279/376) to Oakland (probably about 15 miles)

I think Moon would be right in the middle of both commutes. You're close to the Airport and neighboring Robinson Twp. has tons of shopping and restaurants. Moon Twp. is also home to Robert Morris University so there should be some affordable housing to rent.

I'm not too familiar with what is around Route 65...it seems to me with your commutes you would want to be closer to an expressway but maybe someone else may have a better suggestion?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM

31 posts, read 164,788 times
Default middle of the road commute

In that area, depending on your price range are: Bellevue, Avalon, Emsworth, Sewickley (all along 65), Moon Twp, McKees Rocks, and you could also consider Greentree, Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Beechview, or Robinson Twp (farthest).

Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,983 times
Default place to live near I79 and Oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml87 View Post
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning to move in together come this August, but we have a commute issue. We need to find a place that is about an equal commute to Beaver Falls (for him) and to Oakland (for me). We were thinking about some of the neighborhoods off of 279-S, but other people have suggested trying places around Route 65. I'm from the North Hills, so that is really the only area/roads that I am familiar with. We are looking for a place with reasonable rent as well as the best commute for the both of us. Any suggestions will be welcomed!
Hi there,
An ideal solution to your needs is Thornburg borough. It is approx. 1 mile from I79 off of Rte 60, and 30 min from Oakland if driving (less if traffic is light). Another option is the PAT busway that goes from the Crafton area to Oakland. It is small community that is 15 minutes to the Robinson Mall and 20 minutes to downtown Pittsburgh and 25 minutes to the Pittsburgh Airport.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 33,654 times
go robinson or moon... easy parkway access for both of you.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
Live in the north... oakland commute is tough from anywhere else, like robinson or moon during rush hour. If you're doing off hours, it matters much less. Doubt it matters much whether you are on 65, 279, or 79... should be good regardless.

We live in Ross Township, commute to Oakland is 15-20minutes without traffic, 30mins during rush hour. Getting to beaver falls wouldn't be hard either. Sewickley, Wexford, etc would all be fine.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM

136 posts, read 166,996 times
agreed that the North Hills has a much smoother commute. Wish I could afford the property taxes to live there

Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 PM

31 posts, read 164,788 times
Default property tax woes

Keep in mind that your property taxes within Allegheny County are going to about the same for the same priced house no matter where it's located. Your property taxes are based on the market value of the home. If there's a large discrepancy between current valuation and your purchase price, it's a high probability that the school district will apply for the county to reassess the value, based upon the recent transaction price. So just try to keep in mind what the new tax amount would be, and budget for it.

You can reduce costs in other ways, though. If you buy a house that's been kept up well, including plumbing, electrical and roof updates, and you maintain a fire extinguisher, smoke detectors and other safety features, you could have some really good savings on your homeowners insurance.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,434 times
I lived in Moon for a number of years...45 minutes to Downtown in rush, 30 to Beaver Falls. Avoid the Parkway at all costs no matter what in rush hour. I tried it 10 or so times over a few years and it took well over an hour each time. The best commute from Moon to the city is through Kennedy Township, over the McKees Rocks Bridge, and then into town via the Fort Duquense bridge. An alternative would be to go all the way down Carson from the Rocks and up onto the Fort Pitt Bridge, but Carson gets backed up often.

Having said all that- I think somewhere off of 65 would be a poor choice- 65 is horendus in the morning for driving to the city and only hurts the drive out to Beaver County. The Moon commute isn't any better or worse than the towns along 65 (Sewickley, Ben Avon, Bellevue) but the commute to Beaver County is great from Moon with it's easy access to 60.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,762 times
If you lived in a Van down by the river that would make for a pretty good commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh