Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:17 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
To your first point that is just your opinion. They are a more economically healthy city and received rescue money. Pittsburgh did not because it is smaller than 500,000 residents.

To your second point. That is about as lame as an argument about how much better this city is because it’s more dense. Btw all of that infrastructure you speak of in Pittsburgh is dated and was built when the city had over 500,000. It’s going to be interesting how much the city will be able to maintain those things post pandemic. I guess you never heard of Ohio State or their football team. Their college campus alone probably has more enrollment than all college campuses combined in the region. Ohio Health and Ohio state medical center are very good hospitals. However the Cleveland clinic is the best around. 2 hrs drive from both cities.

To your third point, it’s coming and they will pass us in metro population. Pittsburgh shoots itself in the foot with development. It is a city wrapped in red tape. The fact the FNB tower fell through is devastating. That is a great company. The hill will stay vacant now. Good luck managing the budget deficit.
Yeah, I've heard of OSU. In fact, if you live in Columbus, you might say its all you ever hear about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 02:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Yeah, I've heard of OSU. In fact, if you live in Columbus, you might say its all you ever hear about.
Kinda like here with the Steelers. Interesting to see if people can still afford the tickets here.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Kinda like here with the Steelers. Interesting to see if people can still afford the tickets here.
Stillers tickets won’t be a problem. Bucs may have to pump crowd noise into the park, though.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don’t see anything wrong with that. While I despise OSU football, it’s an awesome atmosphere.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
To your first point that is just your opinion. They are a more economically healthy city and received rescue money. Pittsburgh did not because it is smaller than 500,000 residents.

To your second point. That is about as lame as an argument about how much better this city is because it’s more dense. Btw all of that infrastructure you speak of in Pittsburgh is dated and was built when the city had over 500,000. It’s going to be interesting how much the city will be able to maintain those things post pandemic.
This isn't factually correct.

The T was constructed in 1984, at which time Pittsburgh population was probably less than 400,000.

Also its not "dated", its a second generation light rail. It was built around the same time Portland and San Diego were building theirs. I don't think mighty Columbus is going to be starting one after their city population has passed 1 million.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:32 PM

179 posts, read 106,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I don’t see anything wrong with that. While I despise OSU football, it’s an awesome atmosphere.
100%. I went to an OSU game with some friends that were fans, it's wild. Lots of fun.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
In a smaller town, I'd agree with you. Imagine living in a 1 million population city where the talk of the town is....a college. Its really awkward.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
In a smaller town, I'd agree with you. Imagine living in a 1 million population city where the talk of the town is....a college. Its really awkward.
If you’re a football fan like I am, it sounds awesome....and most anyone that lives there or moves there should expect it. Been that way for decades.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:25 PM

994 posts, read 502,206 times
Quote:
In a smaller town, I'd agree with you. Imagine living in a 1 million population city where the talk of the town is....a college
The Atlanta metro is approaching 6 million and arguably UGA is talked more than the pro teams.

Quote:
Columbus needed to install infrastructure suitable for a 2 million plus metro-they didn't do it (big surprise). There's not even a train station there.
Most cities are woefully inadequate with transit, including Pittsburgh, though Pittsburgh does rank very high for usage.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
The Atlanta metro is approaching 6 million and arguably UGA is talked more than the pro teams.

Most cities are woefully inadequate with transit, including Pittsburgh, though Pittsburgh does rank very high for usage.
First part seems more like a strike against Atlanta more than anything else. It still doesn't make collegiate sports dominating large metro areas normal.

Second part seems like trying to sweep the fact that Columbus doesn't even have an Amtrak station under the rug of "well, transit is just lacking in American cities in general."

Columbus is in its own special category as a 2 million metro with nearly nothing. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, St. Louis all have substantial systems by U.S. standards. As of right now, the T is a bigger light rail system than Link in Seattle or Metrorail in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh