Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 09:41 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I went to the O a few times when I first moved here, because it was a thing to do. I never really got that it was so beloved.

it is probably a culture thing - its the memory of being with a certain group of people, or just a happier, more innocent time in life, or something like that. the college environment adds to that. i think if the O were downtown, it would be disgustingly dirty and have an unsavory clientele. anywhere else in the city, it might be a venerable establishment, but without that "quality" of it being among the dynamic vibe of the Pitt campus.

Much of Oakland is not THAT crime ridden, by the way. Besides nuisance crimes on those couple of slum streets (Meyran, Oakland Avenue) down in the residential area, it isn't a shambles exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 09:48 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
it is probably a culture thing - its the memory of being with a certain group of people, or just a happier, more innocent time in life, or something like that. the college environment adds to that. i think if the O were downtown, it would be disgustingly dirty and have an unsavory clientele. anywhere else in the city, it might be a venerable establishment, but without that "quality" of it being among the dynamic vibe of the Pitt campus.

Much of Oakland is not THAT crime ridden, by the way. Besides nuisance crimes on those couple of slum streets (Meyran, Oakland Avenue) down in the residential area, it isn't a shambles exactly.

Very much so, I assume the O was a big college draw at some point? I remember my freshman year at Millersville and there was 1 place near campus to get pizza/burgers/etc. I think back on it fondly and how much I enjoyed it. Now I know it was basically garbage food that was a nice change from the even worse food at the cafeteria. Not saying the O was garbage but that I agree it was all a time in someones life.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
I can honestly say the Dirty O was the only business I never visited before 2:00 AM, so my memories are a little foggy.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:07 AM

151 posts, read 348,549 times
"Hey,... mister that's a donut...."

Old 04-19-2020, 12:35 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
A hard skinned hot dog and as many fries as you could ever imagine anywhere and the location. Of course I am thinking back when you could see the Rocky Horror Picture Show down the road. I am getting on in years. I would still stop by the O for a dog if I was ever around there. Not a fan of all the crime in Oakland though.
I'm not that old am I?

Oakland was my home for my first year in Pittsburgh (lived on Joe Hammer Square behind Magee from 1997-98). Going to see Rocky Horror (before King's Court became the Beehive) or shopping at Avalon Exchange (or Tele Ropa )then stopping at the O for some fries....good memories. Later, my ex and I would sometimes stop at the O instead of Fuel and Fuddle after walking down Cardiac Hill after a Pitt basketball game.

Seems like that part of Oakland is just completing the process of turning into an outdoor mall. Good for the students, but horrible for the sake of nostalgia.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:38 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Was only there once, not a fan. I think the nickname of Dirty O was well founded.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:22 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Dang. Only get there about once a year anymore but have tons of great memories from there.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:04 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I remember my freshman year at Millersville and there was 1 place near campus to get pizza/burgers/etc. I think back on it fondly and how much I enjoyed it. Now I know it was basically garbage food that was a nice change from the even worse food at the cafeteria.
Ah, didn't know you were a fellow Marauder!
Are you referring to the Sugar Bowl?

Old 04-19-2020, 06:20 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Ah, didn't know you were a fellow Marauder!
Are you referring to the Sugar Bowl?

Ha yes, the Sugar Bowl. I ate some pretty unhealthy meals there. A favorite was the cheeseburger sub. I'm only a partial Marauder. I went there to play football with the understanding I'd have a chance to play but after training camp I realized it wasnt very likely I would get to play and I should have gone to a division 3. Ah well, I enjoyed my freshman year there. Ended up down in Florida at UCF where I finished.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:56 PM

610 posts, read 746,459 times
I met my husband while at Pitt. He was a fan of Dirty O's; I was not. The food was mediocre.

But sixty years. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh