Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 43,827 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Next Saturday my fiance and I will be visiting the area to look at a few places. I have only set up one appointment and will be doing the rest tomorrow. I was wondering if everyone could put their two cents in on what to ask landlords. What are the basic questions that one should ask to get the best picture of a property before you go there? Sq. ft.? Utility responsibilities? Pets? Those are some basics, but I was wondering if there are some good questions to ask that I wouldn't necessarily think of.
Thanks for your help!

-brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Yes, how big; are pets allowed; and are you responsible for utilities. But ask which utilities. You might also ask if they know what these costs were for any prior tenant. Some include: gas, electricity, heat and water. Others may not.

I'd also be curious about upkeep to the apartment (who is responsible). Does the building have landlord electricity for outside lighting and corridor lights?

Also, if the property has any grounds, who is responsible for its upkeep and to what extent.

Are there laundry facilities in the apartment, building or neighbourhood.

These are some of the issues that have come up for me that I hadn't anticipated.

Good luck on the viewings.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 AM

255 posts, read 1,094,333 times
Red face One More Question

You should also ask about pets being allowed and if so, how much the deposit is and if it's refundable.

Just in case you have two cats who like to run around and play. : )

Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Parking!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM

32 posts, read 99,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhare View Post
Hi all,

Next Saturday my fiance and I will be visiting the area to look at a few places. I have only set up one appointment and will be doing the rest tomorrow. I was wondering if everyone could put their two cents in on what to ask landlords. What are the basic questions that one should ask to get the best picture of a property before you go there? Sq. ft.? Utility responsibilities? Pets? Those are some basics, but I was wondering if there are some good questions to ask that I wouldn't necessarily think of.
Thanks for your help!

-brian
here is a link to find out info on what to ask the landlord and what to inspect before you move into a place.........http://www.tenant.net (broken link)

Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
If utilities are not included in the rent, ask the landlord if they are calculated for each individual unit, or averaged out among the tenants. For example, some complexes just use one gas meter for the whole building and all the residents split the bill. You could be out of town for a whole month, and still come home to a whopping utility bill because you are paying for everyone else's usage. I'd never move into a complex that divides the bill like this.

Before signing a lease, inspect the until you will be getting, make a list of the improvements you want done, and ask the landlord to put it in writing that these will be done before your move in date.

Check out apartmentratings.com to see what current and previous tenants had to say about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh