Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 12:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Most of the tax problem could be solved if Wilkinsburg School District merged into PPS.

The city-side mill rate for Wilkinsburg is higher than Pittsburgh, but not ridiculously so.
The school tax rate is almost $3,000 per $100K of value. Here is what it would look like. If the school would merge, Wilkinsburg would take off for sure, but in a nice manner. If it would become Pittsburgh, it would take off in a more unpleasant manner. At least that is the vibe I get reading wpipkins posts. I could be persuaded pretty easily on my opinion on this however. Only residents know best.

Examples at $100,000 home without homestead:

Wilkinsburg at present.

Local: $1,400
School: $2,950
County: $473

Total Tax: $4,823

Wilkinsburg if they merged school with PPS:

Local: $1,400
PPS: $995
County $473

Total Tax: $2,868

City of Pittsburgh if merged fully:

Local: $806
PPS: 995
County: $473
Library fee: $25

Total Tax: $1826* There would be an increase in wage tax however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 01:41 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
It's true Pittsburgh is funded more with a wage tax, and less with property tax. For a lot of individual residents it would basically cancel out. It would be very good for retirees though, as retiree income is not taxed at either the state or local level.

The big difference however would relate to commercial property owners. Under the current system there is really no incentive for a commercial owner to improve the value of their property at all due to the high mill rate. That would go away with a Pittsburgh tax structure and you could see serious market-rate investment in commercial buildings (and by landlords).

Old 09-17-2020, 07:43 PM
gg

Figure I would throw this on this topic. Might as well. A bunch of nutcases showed up and here it is. Wow. Such bullying from the far left types. They really need to leave and shut up!

https://www.wtae.com/article/abrupt-...eting/34048701

Old 09-17-2020, 08:40 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Figure I would throw this on this topic. Might as well. A bunch of nutcases showed up and here it is. Wow. Such bullying from the far left types. They really need to leave and shut up!

Who’d have thought that shooting at police officers would end the way it did. Another case where cleaning up their neighborhood could solve a lot of these problems.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:19 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:

The family of the dead man never came forward in this case. The family was not fully interviewed or reported on The community as a whole was not in an uproar after the shooting This leads me to believe that the dead mans family severed ties long ago and the community was relieved after his death.

The protesters most likely took up this cause without looking deeper into the case. Pulling guns on multiple people on Penn Ave in one night is brazen and reckless.

These same protesters marched to the mayors home in Blackridge. The mayor came outside gun in hand while her mother opened up a can of whoopass.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The family of the dead man never came forward in this case. The family was not fully interviewed or reported on The community as a whole was not in an uproar after the shooting This leads me to believe that the dead mans family severed ties long ago and the community was relieved after his death.

The protesters most likely took up this cause without looking deeper into the case. Pulling guns on multiple people on Penn Ave in one night is brazen and reckless.

These same protesters marched to the mayors home in Blackridge. The mayor came outside gun in hand while her mother opened up a can of whoopass.
What do you mean, “never came forward”?
https://newpittsburghcourier.com/202...wants-answers/

Old 09-19-2020, 10:54 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
This happened a very long time ago to come forward at this point. That being said, I think wpipkins is spot on as he is often. She is probably coming forward now and see if she can get some wrongful death thing going or maybe just to jump on the anti-police thing? Don't know, but too much time has passed.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:03 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
His mother was interviewed. Of course she wants answers and will defend him. He was a nice young man to his mother but what about the community? I am from the general area and I do not remember anyone speaking out against what occurred. The main reason is he was most likely a cancer in the community. Wilkinsburg has a very young and diverse community oriented police force. If he was such a wonderful person church groups, community organizations, and fellow citizens would have protested. No protest except these BLM impostors that are not from Wilkinsburg.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:20 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
No protest except these BLM impostors that are not from Wilkinsburg.
Ha, ha. They are exactly that.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:25 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
This happened a very long time ago to come forward at this point. That being said, I think wpipkins is spot on as he is often. She is probably coming forward now and see if she can get some wrongful death thing going or maybe just to jump on the anti-police thing? Don't know, but too much time has passed.
Well, that’s why I’m asking him and not you. I respect him but this weird adulation you have for him beats anything I ever saw, and it’s obvious you have nothing to add other than agreeing with whatever he says. He’s not your boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh