Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
OP - Parkway East is how its referred to in traffic reports or news reports. In day-to-day talk you can just call it the Parkway or 376.

Definitely 'in' Squirrel Hill.

For South Side it depends on the context: "John lives in South Side."
"Driving in South Side is miserable during rush hour."
"It's Friday night, I'm going to go get plastered on South Side."
"There are few Yinzer bars left on South Side."
"The homeless love to harass people along the riverfront trail in the South Side."
Like the choices here. I might say "hammered" instead of "plastered", but both work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 12:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm not a pittsburgh lifer, but I have never heard anyone refer to doing anything regarding the South Side without "the" in front. "In South Side" or "On South Side" just sounds wrong to me. The exception would be "dahn South Side" in High Yinzer.
Yes, always “the” and usually “the sahside”.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:39 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
May Pittsburghese yinzer dialect and expressions never die. That's what makes this town the best. Now for some Mahrn ..!

https://archive.triblive.com/news/po...-or-cope-isms/

Old 09-21-2020, 02:11 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm not a pittsburgh lifer, but I have never heard anyone refer to doing anything regarding the South Side without "the" in front. "In South Side" or "On South Side" just sounds wrong to me. The exception would be "dahn South Side" in High Yinzer.
pittsburgh is my town of birth. for some reason, NOT saying "THE south side" doesnt seem right to me. maybe i lost that automatic "in south side". In fact, yes, i do remember having phrased it without the 'the'.

one thing i will not lose is "pop", but i am very conscious of using it, vs. 'soda', because i love the word and its use....but by being conscious of saying it, its not an automatic thing. i might just fall out of that and begin using "soda" by habit someday.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:40 PM

882 posts, read 335,648 times
Also , even though we say the parkway, we don't say the 376 or the 79, like they do in other places (notably, the west coast)

Old 09-21-2020, 03:57 PM

99 posts, read 110,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Same as Pool and Pole.
I have been corrected, several times in my life, when being introduced to a Kyle that I am not pronouncing the name correctly. Apparently, it sounds like I'm saying cow and no matter how many times I try to say it differently I am corrected again. LOL it is pointless for me at this point

Old 09-21-2020, 05:42 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingfool View Post
Lastly, my character drives to Monroeville. How would she refer to the interstate? Would she refer to I-376? Or just say she was taking the interstate? Or three seventy-six?

You need to listen to wpipkins2 or else you'll sound really wrong. Also, be sure to mention the tunnel being slow because everybody does if they go that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh