Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM

22 posts, read 64,532 times

Advertisements

I'm a college-educated female with 15+ years of work experience; I dress well, I'm responsible and hard-working, and I steer clear of drinking, drugs and drama.

I'm looking for a job that pays a competitive salary, provides benefits and doesn't involve running a cash register or flipping burgers.

My degree and experience are NOT in the medical or high-tech field. (I would consider myself a generalist, with expertise in writing and editing.) Is that the kiss of death in Pittsburgh?

Maybe some of you wiser individuals out there can offer your insight. Is finding a job in Pittsburgh all about college/high school connections? Is it all about networking? Do you find certain job sites to be more helpful?

Or is my plan to move to a region with a better economy the best course of action?

No snarky replies, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 AM

299 posts, read 1,010,209 times
I'm not too far out of college - only a few years - but every success I've had in "nailing a job" has been due to networking.

I don't know exactly what your experience is, but Carnegie Museum of Art is currently hiring for a Head of Publications. See Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh | Home for employment opps.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 PM

713 posts, read 1,867,217 times
In western PA, it's all about "who you know" and who you are related to.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,160,000 times
Networking.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,326,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Networking.
Try moving to a city that actually HAS jobs.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:45 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,076,045 times
In 2006 the Pittsburgh region hired new people for over SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND jobs. So let's keep the snarky replies to yourself especially since the original poster specifically asked for it.

Geezus, deja vu.

I agree that networking will help immensely. We've had people on this forum claim they've posted on monster.com (people also not in health-care or technology) and have had half a dozen job offers within 24 hours and other people who post that claim to have been out of work for 18 months. I think A LOT has to do with your level of ambition. My brother has been struggling to find a good job but he's also lazy. In the last few months he FINALLY got a fire under his ass and has been very ambitious with the help of my dad. Since then, he's been interviewed for several EXTREMELY good jobs. Sadly, he has made it more than once to the final two candidates and as luck would have it has lost them. However, SOMEONE is obviously getting them.

I do NOT agree it's about who you know. I have MANY friends from Duquesne who are from Cleveland and Baltimore that don't have ANY connections in Pittsburgh whatsoever (except college buds) and they have been very successful. Good luck to you!!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM

487 posts, read 1,381,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker654321 View Post
I'm a college-educated female with 15+ years of work experience; I dress well, I'm responsible and hard-working, and I steer clear of drinking, drugs and drama.

I'm looking for a job that pays a competitive salary, provides benefits and doesn't involve running a cash register or flipping burgers.

My degree and experience are NOT in the medical or high-tech field. (I would consider myself a generalist, with expertise in writing and editing.) Is that the kiss of death in Pittsburgh?

Maybe some of you wiser individuals out there can offer your insight. Is finding a job in Pittsburgh all about college/high school connections? Is it all about networking? Do you find certain job sites to be more helpful?

Or is my plan to move to a region with a better economy the best course of action?

No snarky replies, please.
What is your area of expertise? In what field is your college major? In what field is your experience? I'm having trouble determining what you are looking for ... and perhaps your prospective employers are, as well. In today's workforce, specialization in a given area is viturally a necessity ... and I think that holds true in any metro area, not just Pittsburgh.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 PM

46 posts, read 100,132 times
It is who you know, trust me..it is.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:39 PM

23 posts, read 53,205 times
Are you actually in Pittsburgh or are you applying from another location, hoping to nail down a job and then move? I'm in the second grouping and it's tough to get going. Nobody wants to consider you until you're up there and ready to meet in person. Even though I have a degree and experience (also in technical writing), I'm going to just go to a job agency because I need to get something going immediately when my husband and I move up there in mid-June.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 21,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgher4life View Post
It is who you know, trust me..it is.
We just landed two high tech jobs and we don't know a soul in Pittsburgh. So there is hope out there.

I suggest attending job fairs (google/check the newpapers) and directly applying on the websites of companies/institutions that interest you. Make sure in your cover letter you show how your skills could fill the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh