Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,061,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Agree. The Children's Hospital, a lot of East Liberty (same builder?). Heinz Field. The new stuff in the Strip District. Last decent new construction might be PNC Park in 2000 but taxpayers were fleeced for it and Three Rivers Stadium still held an odd charm.

The Children's Hospital? It's not an un-attractive structure. I think they kept the old St. Francis - they didn't knock that down and build anew, did they?

Three Rivers was a dump.

I disagree with just about everything stated in this thread! Some of the new construction in the city is very nice, some not bad, some - 'well, it'll do'.

Probably everything from the 1950s/60s had its detractors THEN for ugly new architecture.

Case in point - the USX Tower (or whatever its called these days). No one thinks that is an ugly building? I think it is beautiful actually (very goth or darkwave!). I can imagine there were some who thought it fugly - being so big, and black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 10:41 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Loved 3 Rivers Stadium.

Loved the Civic Arena.

Love PNC Park, but when it was being built, and still to this day can’t believe the Pirates got their own stadium.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:33 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I disagree with just about everything stated in this thread!
i swear there's a massive reading comprehension problem is this country - or people are just generally angry

the title of the thread is "What's your least favorite building in the city?" - that's a question, so the proper response would be "My least favorite building is...."

YAC - i'm trying to post stuff that doesn't instantly lead to disagreements - how am i doing so far?

Old 10-19-2020, 12:20 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,061,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
i swear there's a massive reading comprehension problem is this country - or people are just generally angry

the title of the thread is "What's your least favorite building in the city?" - that's a question, so the proper response would be "My least favorite building is...."

YAC - i'm trying to post stuff that doesn't instantly lead to disagreements - how am i doing so far?

BPS, how is that confrontational? I gave my opinion, and it differs from all others. sorry if you took it that way.

i didnt answer the question word for word, but i didnt think i strayed from the topic at hand.

are you just out of college, maybe? 'i disagree' NE 'i hate you and you must die'.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:28 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Quote:
BPS, how is that confrontational? I gave my opinion, and it differs from all others. sorry if you took it that way.

i didnt answer the question word for word, but i didnt think i strayed from the topic at hand.

are you just out of college, maybe? 'i disagree' NE 'i hate you and you must die'.
“You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to szug-bot again.”

Old 10-19-2020, 12:43 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,963,530 times
Quote:
The Children's Hospital? It's not an un-attractive structure. I think they kept the old St. Francis - they didn't knock that down and build anew, did they?

Three Rivers was a dump.

I disagree with just about everything stated in this thread! Some of the new construction in the city is very nice, some not bad, some - 'well, it'll do'.

Probably everything from the 1950s/60s had its detractors THEN for ugly new architecture.

Case in point - the USX Tower (or whatever its called these days). No one thinks that is an ugly building? I think it is beautiful actually (very goth or darkwave!). I can imagine there were some who thought it fugly - being so big, and black.
The USX Tower and plaza was showcased in the movie version of the WIZ. I always loved this building. It was larger than life when I was a child. I vividly remember the escalators and views. My aunt worked for US Steel in the 70s and 80s and I was there often.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The USX Tower and plaza was showcased in the movie version of the WIZ. I always loved this building. It was larger than life when I was a child. I vividly remember the escalators and views. My aunt worked for US Steel in the 70s and 80s and I was there often.
Worked in USX for a few years and just being in there makes me nervous. The big long escalator from ground level to the upper lobby elevators. The security army you have to get through to visit an office. Not sure if the day care is still in the basement but I always felt sad for those little tikes, spending all day in a windowless day care. Then the Top of the Triangle Restaurant up 65+ floors?? The eerie parking garage world underneath. The building just raises my blood pressure.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:04 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,963,530 times
Quote:
Worked in USX for a few years and just being in there makes me nervous. The big long escalator from ground level to the upper lobby elevators. The security army you have to get through to visit an office. Not sure if the day care is still in the basement but I always felt sad for those little tikes, spending all day in a windowless day care. Then the Top of the Triangle Restaurant up 65+ floors?? The eerie parking garage world underneath. The building just raises my blood pressure.
Its is not welcoming. The building is strong and cold.....I always loved this building. I used to eat lunch and study at the top of the triangle. I loved taking in the view from the top. The night views were equally impressive.

Post 9/11 changed things until the Starbucks opened on the second level. I frequented that Starbucks since I could use the underground walkways to access it year round. I miss that place.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:15 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,560,117 times
Just a side note. At the former USX campus in Monroeville, there is a 2 story replica of the USX Tower.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:15 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,398,722 times
Quote:
Did you ever go into the big service elevator, that is my favorite part of the building. We use to bribe the operator with blueberry muffins to anseer our calls. They also have a truck turntable in the loading dock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh