U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-14-2021, 03:18 PM
 
4 posts, read 392 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was just wondering why are the curriculum different in different school districts? Who decides or sets the academic content for a particular grade in a school district? Example: The content for an English class in Penn Hills School district is different than that at Hampton School district for the same grade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2021, 03:26 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
36,625 posts, read 47,310,707 times
Reputation: 47542
The main reason is that Pennsylvania has a "bottom up" system that allows local districts wide latitude to design and implement curriculum.

Contrast that to Maryland where the MD State Department of Education issues a Voluntary State Curriculum for all subjects. The catch is that adopting them isn't "voluntary", although the better ranked school systems (which, unlike Pennsylvania are County based) have more leeway in how they're presented in class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2021, 04:49 PM
 
68 posts, read 20,515 times
Reputation: 120
Until Nixon started federal "revenue sharing" with state and local governments in the 1970s, schools were all funded and run at the local level. A federally controlled curriculum wasn't attempted until Bush 2. No Child Left Behind is a disaster from what I understand and accounts for a lot of the brainwashability of the snowflakes. Teaching to pass the government test has consequences apparently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
 
4 posts, read 392 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the explanation! I had no clue that the 'system' worked differently in different states..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:45 AM
 
527 posts, read 101,808 times
Reputation: 306
Worse than that is textbooks. Though it's changing now with the advent of digital text, the board of education in Texas basically sets the curriculum for the rest of the country. The sheer voluminous number of books that they purchase means that the book publishers can't profitably afford to make other versions for other states. If they decide in their history books to whitewash slavery for example,most of the country's history books also do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:36 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
36,625 posts, read 47,310,707 times
Reputation: 47542
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Worse than that is textbooks. Though it's changing now with the advent of digital text, the board of education in Texas basically sets the curriculum for the rest of the country. The sheer voluminous number of books that they purchase means that the book publishers can't profitably afford to make other versions for other states. If they decide in their history books to whitewash slavery for example,most of the country's history books also do.
Actually California has more throw weight when it comes to textbooks. If you think they have a rightward slant you need to look at some from the last 20 years.

The influence of states directly on textbooks has really been diminishing. The big players in textbook development now are Pearson Education as well as the Gates Foundation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:02 AM
 
4,981 posts, read 3,541,185 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually California has more throw weight when it comes to textbooks. If you think they have a rightward slant you need to look at some from the last 20 years.

The influence of states directly on textbooks has really been diminishing. The big players in textbook development now are Pearson Education as well as the Gates Foundation.
*sigh* you do realize you are deflating the strategy of 'blame everything and everyone else' for the problems of some people? its just so much easier that way, knucklehead!


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:12 AM
 
2,642 posts, read 1,956,678 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
*sigh* you do realize you are deflating the strategy of 'blame everything and everyone else' for the problems of some people? its just so much easier that way, knucklehead!


Get over yourself. It easier to deny and accuse. Knucklehead
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
14,685 posts, read 7,413,027 times
Reputation: 2811
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
*sigh* you do realize you are deflating the strategy of 'blame everything and everyone else' for the problems of some people? its just so much easier that way, knucklehead!


Double Bingo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
14,685 posts, read 7,413,027 times
Reputation: 2811
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Get over yourself. It easier to deny and accuse. Knucklehead
It’s easier to accuse than to take responsibility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top