Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 08:01 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times

Advertisements

Well maybe people will get their wish without affordable housing being built. The city is emptying out and properties are on the market longer in the city. Maybe prices will drop and go back to what it was. Housing will be affordable with a mostly vacant business district. If nobody knows what Lawrenceville was like pre 2010 take a drive over to westmoreland county and visit vandergrift. You will see a mostly vacant business strip with similar housing.

I think the Pittsburgh economy is in dire straights and headed nowhere fast. It looks like WV gets it at least they are trying. Pittsburgh wants to punish those with money and buying power that revitalized a neighborhood. Talk about progress. Half step forward and two back.

So why can’t PA do a program like WV? Not sure if ya all realize it but PA is not viewed in a positive light either. It’s viewed as old, expensive, corrupt and a slow slog of a state government by outsiders. For a big state it is an economic stinker and not much to write home about with population growth either. I think a program like this is something PA should do. Getting people to move here, live and pay taxes is the key. You want them to settle and have kids here. Doing affordable housing in a nice neighborhood that doesn’t need it just to satisfy grievance by locals helps to encourage poverty and endless cycles of stagnation and underachieving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 08:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Well maybe people will get their wish without affordable housing being built. The city is emptying out and properties are on the market longer in the city. Maybe prices will drop and go back to what it was. Housing will be affordable with a mostly vacant business district. If nobody knows what Lawrenceville was like pre 2010 take a drive over to westmoreland county and visit vandergrift. You will see a mostly vacant business strip with similar housing.

I think the Pittsburgh economy is in dire straights and headed nowhere fast. It looks like WV gets it at least they are trying. Pittsburgh wants to punish those with money and buying power that revitalized a neighborhood. Talk about progress. Half step forward and two back.

So why can’t PA do a program like WV? Not sure if ya all realize it but PA is not viewed in a positive light either. It’s viewed as old, expensive, corrupt and a slow slog of a state government by outsiders. For a big state it is an economic stinker and not much to write home about with population growth either. I think a program like this is something PA should do. Getting people to move here, live and pay taxes is the key. You want them to settle and have kids here. Doing affordable housing in a nice neighborhood that doesn’t need it just to satisfy grievance by locals helps to encourage poverty and endless cycles of stagnation and underachieving.
Not sure who’s arguing this, but 42 is still better than 48, but maybe WV will actually be able to move up with some programs and help you folks down there out.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy

Old 04-13-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Not sure who’s arguing this, but 42 is still better than 48, but maybe WV will actually be able to move up with some programs and help you folks down there out.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy
And I’m sure Philly and Harrisburg have the most to do with making PA 42 and not dead last.

WV had been able to deliver vaccines much better than the rest of the nation. Pa has been incompetent at doing the same. Many people pay attention to those little nuggets.

Regardless if you read the thread responses you would see who it’s directed to.

I was happy for this program. I figured it would give you the opportunity to trade in your mobile home and tin foil hat up in Butler for a modest home and a musket across the border.

Then again WBR barely makes it out of the city limits. You would need a big generator with more power to help receive those radio waves.

Or maybe you can move to Lawrenceville so your liberal brother mtndew guy can pay half price to be your neighbor while you pay more.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
And I’m sure Philly and Harrisburg have the most to do with making PA 42 and not dead last.

WV had been able to deliver vaccines much better than the rest of the nation. Pa has been incompetent at doing the same. Many people pay attention to those little nuggets.

Regardless if you read the thread responses you would see who it’s directed to.

I was happy for this program. I figured it would give you the opportunity to trade in your mobile home and tin foil hat up in Butler for a modest home and a musket across the border.

Then again WBR barely makes it out of the city limits. You would need a big generator with more power to help receive those radio waves.

Or maybe you can move to Lawrenceville so your liberal brother mtndew guy can pay half price to be your neighbor while you pay more.
Except you were talking about the economy and now you’re deflecting to vaccine rollouts, which isn’t going to make the economy ranking change. PA no doubt has a lot of issues and has a lousy economy, but it’s certainly better than WV.

I couldn’t be paid to live in WV but it’s a great place to visit. Hopefully this and other programs will get it out of the bottom of the country in economy standings. Y’all could for sure use the help.

Couldn’t be paid to live in the city, but it’s also a great place to visit.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 PM

198 posts, read 80,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Because the average income single family home owner bolts to a location that is cheaper with more space and better schools. Telling them that there is another tax for affordable housing only means more will leave.
Perfect. Buy their houses, tear them down and build apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
The developer will make money even with the affordable housing requirement. Forcing working class families out, while bringing in single people with higher paying jobs, is ultimately a recipe for disaster. It's not sustainable for a place like Pittsburgh. What IS sustainable is giving the middle income families a safe, affordable place to live with half decent schools.
Working class families are being forced out because housing is too expensive. Housing is expensive because supply is constrained. Supply is constrained because neighborhoods have mostly single family homes and no longer have any undeveloped land to expand outwards. Explain how making high density housing more expensive to build helps.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post

Working class families are being forced out because housing is too expensive. Housing is expensive because supply is constrained. Supply is constrained because neighborhoods have mostly single family homes and no longer have any undeveloped land to expand outwards. Explain how making high density housing more expensive to build helps.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I still don’t get the logic. Let’s give a discounted home to somebody who cannot afford it in a desirable neighborhood. Put the burden on those that develop the property or actually have the money to purchase it. Is this all just to help that person who cannot afford the neighborhood feel good about themselves? I am just trying to understand.

Meanwhile there a dozens of city neighborhoods needing revitalized and pretty much bordering Lawrenceville. Why can’t this be done there? Why can’t people buy a house they can afford and take public transportation or ride the bike lane to Lawrenceville?

It’s just ridiculous. SCR bought a house he could afford in Marshall Shadeland. What is wrong with doing what he did?

Old 04-14-2021, 08:55 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:

Working class families are the key. Else you end up with poor folks living in poor neighborhoods, and well paid young singles living in expensive apartments. Many of those young singles will move to the suburbs once they start a family because the schools aren't good in the city as a result of the average earning family being forced out. The politicians then cater even more to get the votes of the poor and the young. They ignore the family because the family has options to leave. Why wouldn't they?

Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
I still don’t get the logic. Let’s give a discounted home to somebody who cannot afford it in a desirable neighborhood. Put the burden on those that develop the property or actually have the money to purchase it. Is this all just to help that person who cannot afford the neighborhood feel good about themselves? I am just trying to understand.

Let's say for a minute that yes, that's the reason. To help people feel good about themselves. How/Why would that bother you?

Old 04-14-2021, 11:03 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:

I know that is true in most coastal areas, but I think that Pittsburgh is different. It costs lots of money to build high density housing and the dense housing we have here is much more expensive than single family homes in the less popular areas.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Let's say for a minute that yes, that's the reason. To help people feel good about themselves. How/Why would that bother you?
You are rewarding comfort and mediocrity with something they could not afford or attain at their current status without intervention. You are putting the greater burden on somebody who can afford that house and or a developer that is in business to make money. It drags everybody down.

Are you going to give somebody the ability to practice medicine because it’s what they wanted to do never mind they can’t pass classes to become a doctor?

It bothers me for sure. If you can’t afford it then that’s how it is nobody should get a reduced fare to make them feel better.

Hard work and dreams got people out of living in company housing and shopping at the company store. Make sacrifices work hard and take advantage of opportunities. If you can afford the neighborhood so be it. If you can’t then move elsewhere. It’s that simple and it’s been done for generations. Life isn’t fair and not every career path allows you to own a home in a desirable area or take a lavish vacation every year.

I’m against freebies in prosperous places. Build affordable housing in neighborhoods needing help and revitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh