Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 489 times

Advertisements

Good morning. I know there have been other posts about people moving to Pittsburgh and recommendations, but I am moving alone and do not have to worry about schools for my kids. I’ll be working from home, so do not need to worry about a commute either. I am planning on moving to the Pittsburgh area around August/September of this year. I grew up in PA, but Northeast of Pittsburgh, in Elk County. I visited the area last week but didn’t get to see as much as I wanted to. I saw someone posted with answers to basic questions, so going to copy and use that format below.

I liked Mt. Lebanon, but a lot of people are telling me I need to look in the North Hills. Had a nice downtown area and seemed very walkable. I have family around PA, so looking for somewhat easy access to interstates/main roadways. Also, somewhat close to the airport for when I do need to travel and for when my kids come to visit.

When are you moving? End of August/early September
Where are you coming from? Houston, TX
Why are you moving? Looking to move closer to family in PA
Where will you be working? From home
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Looking for 2BR minimum. Ideally a townhouse or duplex. If an apartment, a top floor…no one above me. (Having a neighbor that used to jump rope every day above me jaded me for life! LOL) Budget ideally would be $1,400 including my utilities. Rent does not need to include all utilities.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single. 60 y.o. Kids are grown and away from home.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Not needed but nice. Would like a patio or deck.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Prefer calm and quiet. Not looking for a party area!

What do you want to be closest to?
Downtown area where I can walk to. Patronize local businesses.
Fitness/Health Club
Basic services (healthcare, supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion, or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I don't really care as long as a place is tolerant of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 09:59 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
With that list of criteria you are pretty much free to chose where you want to live fully based on the feeling you get in the area. You could rent a house or duplex in the a city neighborhood of Brookline or even the East End (although might be harder for that price point). You could move to a place like Dormont, and if you chose the right spot, you can walk to Brookline or Lebo depending on where you end up. Being able to walk to small business gets harder the farther out you go as those places just arent designed for much walking, although it can be done in some areas.

The no kids and no commute really take the limiting factors out of it decision and leaves a lot more to what kind of shops you want to be close to and the general vibe of the area you are looking for.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:34 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Mount Lebanon has some nice apartments around the Beverly Road area. Walkable to that business district and uptown Mount Lebanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh