Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 09:15 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

I know back in the 80's and 90's it was a thriving mall that many people went to, when did Century III Mall all the sudden start to decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 09:52 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I know back in the 80's and 90's it was a thriving mall that many people went to, when did Century III Mall all the sudden start to decline?
The further decline of West Mifflin and the Mon Valley coupled with the opening of the Waterfront. This started in the late 90's early 2000's.

Century III was huge but did not have the high end selection like other area malls.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The further decline of West Mifflin and the Mon Valley coupled with the opening of the Waterfront. This started in the late 90's early 2000's.

Century III was huge but did not have the high end selection like other area malls.
That's too bad Century III didn't have a high end selection like the other area malls, is South Hills Village and Ross Park Mall the more upscale malls in the area?

What do you think of the Waterfront Mall?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
That's too bad Century III didn't have a high end selection like the other area malls, is South Hills Village and Ross Park Mall the more upscale malls in the area?

What do you think of the Waterfront Mall?
Ross Park established itself as the upscale mall of the region. South Hills Village is a nice mall and has been updated over the years. I remember trick or treating at South Hills Village mall in the late 70s and early 80's. I vividly remember the exotic bird cages suspended from the ceiling. This was before the mall had a food court.

The Waterfront is very useful. It is open air and full of the stores and restaurants that a family would need. It is also a good location for friends and family to stay while in town. There are several hotels on site and the Waterfront is centrally located.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:52 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post

1999 was the beginning of the end of Century 3.

Parkway Center Mall went down the tubes in 2002 when Robinson mall opened.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:27 PM

220 posts, read 146,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
1999 was the beginning of the end of Century 3.

Parkway Center Mall went down the tubes in 2002 when Robinson mall opened.
That sounds about right. Any other malls like that?

Old 05-04-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
Not as big as Century III.

Allegheny Center Mall across from downtown converted to offices and tech space.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
I really liked Parkway center. It was two levels filled with stores and a 3rd partial level. The mall was in the city. It was built in 1982 and officially closed in the early 2010s.

W is right about Allegheny Center.

I remember when north hills village and northway malls were enclosed as well. I think north hills village went open air in the early 2000s and northway mall in the later 2000s. You had 3 enclosed malls on McKnight road on a 2.5 mile stretch of road. Of course Ross park is the remaining enclosed mall of the three. Northway Mall had a decent food court and I don’t remember north hills village much at the end. It was like a one level parkway center at the end and then target moved in and it just ended up open air strip shopping.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:15 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I really liked Parkway center. It was two levels filled with stores and a 3rd partial level. The mall was in the city. It was built in 1982 and officially closed in the early 2010s.

W is right about Allegheny Center.

i guess i was never at Parkway Center Mall in its heydey. i NEVER remember a buzz there - even back in the early 1990s eating at Chi-Chis (my first experience ever w/ mexican food - it was a food orgy, i tell you!).

huh - i had no idea it was filled w/ 2 levels!

i am a fan of allegheny center. i think it is a cool looking structure and hopefully they can retain and increase tenants and put that building to good use.

i see the failing of parkway center mall and the Kaufmann's building downtown as indicative of the type of leadership we have had in this area. in some cities, leaders will fight, plan, orchestrate to help resurrect dying projects. they've done nothing for K'mans, and i am not aware of anything for Parkway Center Mall, unless letting it and its surrounding pavement rot is some contrived plan.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i guess i was never at Parkway Center Mall in its heydey. i NEVER remember a buzz there - even back in the early 1990s eating at Chi-Chis (my first experience ever w/ mexican food - it was a food orgy, i tell you!).

huh - i had no idea it was filled w/ 2 levels!

i am a fan of allegheny center. i think it is a cool looking structure and hopefully they can retain and increase tenants and put that building to good use.

i see the failing of parkway center mall and the Kaufmann's building downtown as indicative of the type of leadership we have had in this area. in some cities, leaders will fight, plan, orchestrate to help resurrect dying projects. they've done nothing for K'mans, and i am not aware of anything for Parkway Center Mall, unless letting it and its surrounding pavement rot is some contrived plan.
Parkway Center was two full levels with a 3rd partial floor. They had 5- anchor stores at one time and the mall at its peak employed 1,500 people. It was 500,000 square foot. There was a full food court on the lower level that closed in 1999. I found this video on you tube in 2010. KDKA did a story on it. It wasn’t the size of Ross park but I bet it was on par with Allegheny center. Anybody that walks in there can see it was an old mall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWCP6Ecgl0

There is a Facebook page dedicated to parkway center mall with the shops and grand opening 11/4/82. There was old ads from the mall on that page as well.

You are right about the city and the kossman development. The issue with parkway center mall is that it was built on a trash dump that was filled. The main structure underneath had joints that could expand when the ground would settle. In 1982 this area was a little more than a crawl space. In 2010 they said the joints expanded so much you could fit a tractor trailer down there and it wouldn’t get stuck. That’s how
Much the ground sunk. It was unsalvageable. I remember walking in there right before it closed and the floor would shake due to the parkway traffic.

FYI the mall had 80 tenants total tenants at its peak according to KdKA.

It’s a shame on many counts. The leadership of this city over the past decades is amazing.

Last edited by Independentthinking83; 05-04-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh