Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,600,132 times

Advertisements

OK forum, I now have three separate pizza topics to discuss with everyone, so it seems worth a new thread. I'm especially hoping people will chime in with info about new or new-ish places to try, but really all Pittsburgh pizza news is welcome.

1) Driftwood Oven just announced via Facebook that they will open a restaurant at 3615 Butler Street. I am torn, because we love them and wish then all good things, but I am not sure if this means they will stop operating a food truck. That would make me a little sad, because they were one of our favorites at Grist house and we don't really go to Lawrenceville all that much. Still it's great to see them grow, and I think they will do really well.

2) The new Badamo pizza will be opening next to El Burro soon, which is awesome for the North & Federal intersection. I have never eaten at their Mt Lebanon location -- anyone have any recommendations about what they do well?

3) OK, this isn't exactly new, but we finally made it to Benny Fierro's on the South side and loved it. Fantastic for a quick slice.

What other new pizza places should be on our radar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
I have had a couple of Driftwood Pizzas and really liked them. I will now be concerned that they might have two locations. That usually is a bad thing. Owners need to make the pizza with pride, not some kid on a cell phone.

We seem to like the same kind of pizza. I have no other recommendations for you though.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Never as good as New York pizza.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
I've never had pizza at any of those places, but when they open in L'ville, I'll try Driftwood. Thanks, RPT.

I like Pizza Taglio in East Liberty. My favorite is the Greenpointer. Pizza Taglio Restaurant

Old 11-25-2017, 07:53 AM

I'm partial to Luciano's, both the McCandless location and the one on Rt. 228 in Soulless Adams, right next to Soulless Cranberry.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've never had pizza at any of those places, but when they open in L'ville, I'll try Driftwood. Thanks, RPT.

I like Pizza Taglio in East Liberty. My favorite is the Greenpointer. Pizza Taglio Restaurant
I liked Taglio the first time and didn't the second time as it wasn't prepared very well and undercooked. I think the key to any pizza shop is having the owner cook the pizza or someone that has skin in the game, or you will just get some kid that is more interested in texting and rushing the pizza so they can get back on the phone with their friends. When Vincent's had a line out the door it was him that made every pie and he made them with pride. There was a pretty good little pizza shop in Aspinwall called Casa del sole and when the old man owned it and made all the pizzas it was pretty good for Pittsburgh, but he retired and now it isn't the same. Mostly raw pizza, which I hate and people that just don't care all that much.

Driftwood is one of my favorite pizzas, but I have only had two pizzas there, so that isn't enough for me to really go crazy over it yet. It isn't NYC style, but it is good quality and cooked well, at least the two pizzas I have had. If they expand and get some kids making pizza, it will probably not be very good, but we shall see.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Soulless Adams, right next to Soulless Cranberry.
This made me laugh out loud. Sounds like it would be perfect on a commercial or a billboard.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 AM

Not sure who coined the Soulless Cranberry term, but it always cracks me up.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not sure who coined the Soulless Cranberry term
Wasn't it SCR?

Old 11-25-2017, 09:22 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,600,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Wasn't it SCR?
I think he started it on here, but I could swear I have heard it in real life too.

gg, about Driftwood, where is the other location? I thought they just had the food truck that would come to breweries like Grist and Roundabout, and now they are converting the business to a restaurant in Lawrenceville. From the Facebook post it definitely looks like the two young guys who own the operation will be showing up at the Lawrenceville location themselves. They did say that the food truck will stop showing up at Roundabout while they get the restaurant ready to open, but I am not sure if that means the food truck is officially retiring. Anyway -- curious to know where you had their pizza, but I don't think they are over-expanding, not yet anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh