Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 07:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Police staffing woes dominate city Public Safety budget talks

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202212010117

Old 12-02-2022, 08:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Ross Township is hiring new police officers right now for over $73,000/year to START.

Why work for much less in the city while having to patrol dangerous neighborhoods like Homewood or Marshall-Shadeland where the residents don't want the police there anyways?

Old 12-02-2022, 08:10 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ross Township is hiring new police officers right now for over $73,000/year to START.

Why work for much less in the city while having to patrol dangerous neighborhoods like Homewood or Marshall-Shadeland where the residents don't want the police there anyways?
Bingo…and especially with the way folks cry about the police in the city. They don’t get paid enough to deal with such nonsense, the folks that don’t want them in their neighborhoods, protesting when folks think they’re big meanies, folks defending and enabling criminals while blaming the police, etc… With such a shortage, folks will be dealing with more violent crime, fending for themselves, reaping what they’ve sown, etc…

Old 12-02-2022, 09:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The mother of the 4 year old was out on bond. She is charged with attempted murder of two teenagers on Apple Street earlier this year. If she would have been incarcerated she would’ve saved her babies life.

There was a powerful statement made by a Lincoln resident on WPXI.
So sad.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:21 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Police staffing woes dominate city Public Safety budget talks

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202212010117
Scary reading..

"On Jan. 1, there were 912 sworn officers on the city’s payroll. As of Thursday, that number was down to 836, said Acting Chief Thomas Stangrecki. The city budgets for 900 uniformed officers each year. COVID and other hiring freezes over two years kept new recruits from being added to the force.

“I’m just going to assume we’re going to lose the same number next year, which will put us at 725,” said Councilman Anthony Coghill.
Two academy classes are in the works — one for recruits who have already received some type of law enforcement training and one for truly new recruits.
Academy classes, though, are generally held to around 30 to 35 recruits.
That class will not begin until August, Mr. Schmidt said, and it would be roughly a year before those officers are patrolling the streets."
__________________________________________________ _________
beginning of 2022: 912 officers
beginning of 2023: 836 (loss of 76 officers, 92% of initial strength)
beginning of 2024: potential loss of another 76 officers = 760 officers (83% of initial strength)
beginning of 2025: potential loss of another 76 officers + addition of 55 graduated recruits (assuming the recruit classes will suffer from some attrition) = net loss of 21 officers = 739 officers (81% of initial strength)

Two years from now, we could potentially have 20% fewer officers patrolling the streets of Pittsburgh. The police are already overwhelmed and crime is already out of control in this city.. can you imagine the effect of losing one out of every 5 officers??

Old 12-03-2022, 06:22 AM
gg

Quote:

A city officer can work a lot of overtime to gain more income, but I agree. Why would anyone want to work in a place they are not welcome? Police are welcome in the suburbs. I guess the city is going to lose even more officers, but as new graduates from our 2 academies graduate, they will need to find jobs. Only. a handful will get the suburb full pay jobs. Some will start out at like $15 an hour and some will go to the city.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:24 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:

I think criminals do not want police present. Residents, parents and seniors definitely want the police.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:32 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Scary reading..

"On Jan. 1, there were 912 sworn officers on the city’s payroll. As of Thursday, that number was down to 836, said Acting Chief Thomas Stangrecki. The city budgets for 900 uniformed officers each year. COVID and other hiring freezes over two years kept new recruits from being added to the force.

“I’m just going to assume we’re going to lose the same number next year, which will put us at 725,” said Councilman Anthony Coghill.
Two academy classes are in the works — one for recruits who have already received some type of law enforcement training and one for truly new recruits.
Academy classes, though, are generally held to around 30 to 35 recruits.
That class will not begin until August, Mr. Schmidt said, and it would be roughly a year before those officers are patrolling the streets."
__________________________________________________ _________
beginning of 2022: 912 officers
beginning of 2023: 836 (loss of 76 officers, 92% of initial strength)
beginning of 2024: potential loss of another 76 officers = 760 officers (83% of initial strength)
beginning of 2025: potential loss of another 76 officers + addition of 55 graduated recruits (assuming the recruit classes will suffer from some attrition) = net loss of 21 officers = 739 officers (81% of initial strength)

Two years from now, we could potentially have 20% fewer officers patrolling the streets of Pittsburgh. The police are already overwhelmed and crime is already out of control in this city.. can you imagine the effect of losing one out of every 5 officers??
Sharp decline. Pittsburgh probably doesn't need that many officers anymore though. Heck the police were protested right out of their newly renovated police station located in East Liberty, so they hang out down on Washington Blvd in peace and away from the action. If I was an officer, I think I would prefer the Washington Blvd location. Just chilll down there where they are welcome by deer and other wildlife. They cyclists on the track like the officers there since they have bikes laying around, so theft would probably be low.

I am thankful Trump didn't get elected so you can get around the city now without the protesting that went on daily for the 4 1/2 years. Easier to get around and police don't have to deal with that anymore. What a drain on the city, but the protesters got their way. "F the police!!" "F the police!!" Good for them! Right?

Here's to a bloody holiday season. I just read a bunch of "teens" (you know the ones) shot up a homeless man downtown with BB guns and slapped him around. He died, but no charges so far. Just BB guns, so just kids having some fun.

Happy holiday season to all.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:44 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I think criminals do not want police present. Residents, parents and seniors definitely want the police.
There were staged anti-police rallies throughout the city daily for 4 1/2 years. I NEVER ONCE saw any resident of the city say they "want the police" or counter protest the wonderful protesters we all lived with for those 4 1/2 years. Where are these residents that "want police"? I at least rode up to a few officers in their patrol cars listening to the anti-police idiots yelling with megaphones to f the police and stated to the two officers, "not everyone feels that way" while I was rolling my eyes and shaking my head at the young idiots yelling and screaming because Trump was president, but they were yelling and screaming against the police since they are clueless young college kids that are barely out of their diapers. Where are these non-vocal residents that want police? Never heard from them, not once.

This year, I am bringing the Zone 5 officers some sweets to show appreciation for what they went through for that 4 1/2 years. It is quiet now since the TDS people don't have to go nuts, but they might run the city streets again due to their organization on Reddit and the like. Barely out of their diapers, but they run the show it seems, not the logical people that are quiet and scared of all the blue and orange haired women with their BLM shirts on.

Have a nice day.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:56 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I NEVER ONCE saw any resident of the city say they "want the police" or counter protest the wonderful protesters we all lived with for those 4 1/2 years. Where are these residents that "want police"? I at least rode up to a few officers in their patrol cars listening to the anti-police idiots yelling with megaphones to f the police and stated to the two officers, "not everyone feels that way" while I was rolling my eyes and shaking my head at the young idiots yelling and screaming because Trump was president, but they were yelling and screaming against the police since they are clueless young college kids that are barely out of their diapers. Where are these non-vocal residents that want police? Never heard from them, not once.
Yeah, I remember some of the protests being held outside of the City-County Building.. the police had a squad of guys wearing riot gear, parked in an unmarked van around the corner. I approached, they were suspicious at first, but cautiously slid the door open - and I told them that I was sorry they have to listen to this (the protest) all of the time, and that the silent majority of people are on their (the police's) side.

Look at how perversely the community responded to Antwon Rose. A teenage thug who engaged in drive-by shootings was beatified, whereas the police officer who (LEGALLY) stopped him was darn near crucified publicly. His life is ruined, while Antwon is now a saint. Instead of using Antwon as a cautionary tale as to what the consequences of teenage boy's bad decisions may be, he's exalted as a blameless victim. And then we wonder why we have such a problem with juvenile gun violence in this community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh