Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 06:54 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
This really isn't statistically anomalous.

About 330 people in the United States suffer a gunshot would every day. That's a per capita rate of one per million. Allegheny County has a population of 1.25 million. So on average the county should see 1.25 gunshot victims per day.

Of course, the county never sees 1.25 shooting victims on any specific day. And while the brain might think the statistical trend should be a bunch of 1's and an occasional 2 to make the average, that's not a normal data distribution. On many days throughout a year it is 0. And days where it's 3 or more are not uncommon. It's like flipping a coin 330 times times. One can expect to see several instances therein of runs of 5 or more heads (or tails) in a row.

Question:
On those days when the number of gunshot victims is 0, does anyone start a thread talking about how that?

Answer:
No.
There shouldn't be anyone shot in the United States at any time. Is there a war going on? Not that I know of.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:06 AM

807 posts, read 617,749 times
Well you can't argue with that, I guess. You want to start confiscating firearms, Lou, if you are so concerned that there not be anyone shot at any time ever?

Old 08-30-2021, 09:02 AM

1,411 posts, read 566,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
This is funny and I mostly agree, but what about that disco?
I was not a fan of disco then, or am I now, but it's certainly better than (c) rap & hip hop, unintelligible mumbling with a loud beat.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:08 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
There are fewer shootings in the County outside the city limits than within. And there are more people outside the city limits than within.

How do your national statistics on shootings explain this? Oh yeah they don't.
Bingo

More riff-raff congregated to the area. Capital punishment for those that take part in the shooting that results in death is a great option, and not seeing the light of day for the rest would be a great start to cleaning these areas up.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
A family leaving a restaurant before 7pm on a Sunday night gets attacked around 18th St for no reason? I am sure there is video, but not out there...yet. Latae Young, 27 and Wesley Brown, 27 both of North Versailles have been charged. I used to think at that hour things are pretty mellow and on a Sunday night. The South Side is really nuts these days. Hope this family is okay. Wow.
Sound like real classy folks. Hopefully in the near future the powers that be, and I use that term very loosely, turn up the punishment for these clowns, especially those who take part in gun violence.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:45 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,551,006 times
Quote:

About 330 people in the United States suffer a gunshot would every day. That's a per capita rate of one per million. Allegheny County has a population of 1.25 million. So on average the county should see 1.25 gunshot victims per day.

Of course, the county never sees 1.25 shooting victims on any specific day. And while the brain might think the statistical trend should be a bunch of 1's and an occasional 2 to make the average, that's not a normal data distribution. On many days throughout a year it is 0. And days where it's 3 or more are not uncommon. It's like flipping a coin 330 times times. One can expect to see several instances therein of runs of 5 or more heads (or tails) in a row.

Question:
On those days when the number of gunshot victims is 0, does anyone start a thread talking about how that?

Answer:
No.

so, you are in effect saying "not enough people are shot in allegheny county to warrant a thread"

when we consider *no one* should be shot, *1* person per year warrants a thread. we average about 1 every 3 days. But that is a hit. there are multiple shots fired per day all across the city according to stats by shotspotter. In the last 10 years there were over 22500 shots fired in pitt, and this does not take into account shots not reported by the system. That is over 2250 shots per year or close to what 6 per day? This could be far far worse than what it is.

so do we recommend the perps take marksman training?

Pittsburgh, is not Chicago, but they are trying harder to make it like chicago, than making it nowhere like chicago.

that of itself is disturbing.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Question:

Answer:
No.
Pretty sure I read here that homicides are on pace to surpass 2008. That’s certainly newsworthy, especially since it wouldn’t be difficult for that number to continue to grow in the near future. The first step in fixing a problem is recognizing there is one.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM

882 posts, read 335,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
There are fewer shootings in the County outside the city limits than within. And there are more people outside the city limits than within.

How do your national statistics on shootings explain this? Oh yeah they don't.

Where's your source on this?

Curious what your sources classify "shootings" as...shots fired? people killed?

And where are you getting your data for the county?

Old 08-30-2021, 10:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Sound like real classy folks. Hopefully in the near future the powers that be, and I use that term very loosely, turn up the punishment for these clowns, especially those who take part in gun violence.
Wow the victim is a 60 year old woman. The husband tried to help and he got hit by the male attacker and then the son got involved. Wow an unprovoked attack of a family of 4 leaving Nakama. Guess the attacker was drunk, but so violent.

What an odd area the South Side has become. It used to be so fun, but now violence is the norm. Even on a Sunday evening before 7PM. Think I will avoid that area even in the middle of the day. It is a destination and I have a feeling the South Side is going to change and the college folks will be looking for another area to be cool to go to. Lawrenceville?

Glad they made an arrest, but they are probably already out by now.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:36 AM

Teen killed after being shot multiple times in Pittsburgh neighborhood

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...IRP2A2EH7LDUU/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh