Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 06:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times

Advertisements

Go here, find Baum and turn on the filter for 1923:

https://gis.pittsburghpa.gov/addresslookup/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 06:21 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
You are giving the reasons for PA, corporate taxes, labor unions, regulation. How is that different than New York State? GM still operates three plants up there. Two in Buffalo and one in Rochester. What about Michigan and the City of Detroit? Stellantis (Chrysler)and GM gutted and completely redid two plants there in the city limits. Or what about Lordstown? Isn’t that a big union area that is regulated? Ohio probably has less corporate taxes, but the places I mentioned are heavy union and just as regulated as PA. There Ford and Chrysler still have assembly plants around Chicago as well.
GM has the Saint Catharine's Engine Plant 30 minutes up the road from Buffalo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ing_Facilities

As for Detroit, look across the border to Windsor: "More than 90 auto and parts manufacturers, including two OEMs – Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Ford Motor Company of Canada – are located in Windsor-Essex." https://perspective.ca/canadas-autom...windsor-essex/

Old 11-22-2021, 07:11 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
GM has the Saint Catharine's Engine Plant 30 minutes up the road from Buffalo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...ing_Facilities

As for Detroit, look across the border to Windsor: "More than 90 auto and parts manufacturers, including two OEMs – Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Ford Motor Company of Canada – are located in Windsor-Essex." https://perspective.ca/canadas-autom...windsor-essex/
And GM has an Engine plant in Buffalo.

But again I don’t see how Pittsburgh was left out and never really had more automotive related manufacturing facilities. Actually the Westmoreland Assembly plant was in a great location. Good access to I-70 and I-80. That links directly with I-75 going west.

One would think at least a components or powertrain plant would be/ remain in the area. Or maybe the poster is right. Erie would probably be the best location for one of those facilities. Automotive just didn’t invest in PA as they did in other nearby states.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:00 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Great informative comments. Thanks.

Kind of related, which Pittsburgh billionaire?? (Scaife?) purchased the longtime nightclub performance venue on Baum and Bigelow just to house his cars? Is it still used for that purpose? Completely forget that story.. (lazy and don't feel like research it...) -- this was in in the late 1990s?

Old 11-22-2021, 09:01 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
And GM has an Engine plant in Buffalo.

But again I don’t see how Pittsburgh was left out and never really had more automotive related manufacturing facilities. Actually the Westmoreland Assembly plant was in a great location. Good access to I-70 and I-80. That links directly with I-75 going west.

One would think at least a components or powertrain plant would be/ remain in the area. Or maybe the poster is right. Erie would probably be the best location for one of those facilities. Automotive just didn’t invest in PA as they did in other nearby states.

if you are wholesale manufacturing autos or major components of such (read frames, powertrains, drivelines) its not so much highway access you want, its rail access. Fisher body by west mifflin shipped them out dozens of 80ft flatcars a day...

pittsburgh, correspondingly never had quick easy access to all the required resources. It took all of pittsburghs available level real estate to process the raw materials into steel and with the rail service and water services, it was prime to barge in coal, rail in ore, and ship out strength steel (bridge buildings etc) stamping plants and small casting plants were never our forte. it could have been different sure, but at the time it was built we needed to make structural steel and rails so we did. we even made boilerplate for locos and such, but it was shipped east to altoona and so forth.

if you wanna see how things shook out in the automotive world which evolved for all intents and purposes 100 years after the structural steel world, look at some name sake towns: Lima, Windsor, cleveland and Tonawanda etc

why did they cast and drill engines THERE (hint: any water nearby?)

Old 11-22-2021, 09:38 AM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
You are giving the reasons for PA, corporate taxes, labor unions, regulation. How is that different than New York State? GM still operates three plants up there. Two in Buffalo and one in Rochester. What about Michigan and the City of Detroit? Stellantis (Chrysler)and GM gutted and completely redid two plants there in the city limits. Or what about Lordstown? Isn’t that a big union area that is regulated? Ohio probably has less corporate taxes, but the places I mentioned are heavy union and just as regulated as PA. There Ford and Chrysler still have assembly plants around Chicago as well.
That's like saying Pittsburgh is a steel mecca because the area still has a couple steel plants remaining.

How many major auto plants did NY and MI have 50 years ago compared to today? Same question for AL and SC.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
That's like saying Pittsburgh is a steel mecca because the area still has a couple steel plants remaining.

How many major auto plants did NY and MI have 50 years ago compared to today? Same question for AL and SC.
Good question I don’t know. But there is a lot still in MI and three in upstate NY. They have been investing a lot of money into those old legacy plants. So much for the unions and costs.

Alabama has five plants. None of which are US based companies. And SC has one plant.

Again I think with CMU here tech and mobility go hand in hand. I’d love to see them try for a faculty in the future

Old 01-11-2022, 09:07 AM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
To add to this topic, Pittsburgh based Argo AI, in partnership with Ford, has announced a major new autonomous vehicle facility..... in Dallas or CA.

Also:

"Electric vehicle company Rivian Automotive Inc., after eyeing Fort Worth, last month selected Georgia for a massive manufacturing site. It is set to invest $5 billion in a campus in the southern state for its electric adventure vehicles, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced in a statement last month. It will create approximately 7,500 jobs."

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...es-dallas.html

This confirms my earlier comments that while Pittsburgh has been a place for some R&D or even headquarters, it is not a prime candidate for major manufacturing of the products. IMHO the region needs to land some of these major manufacturing facilities employing thousands in order to really advance economically.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
To add to this topic, Pittsburgh based Argo AI, in partnership with Ford, has announced a major new autonomous vehicle facility..... in Dallas or CA.

Also:

"Electric vehicle company Rivian Automotive Inc., after eyeing Fort Worth, last month selected Georgia for a massive manufacturing site. It is set to invest $5 billion in a campus in the southern state for its electric adventure vehicles, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced in a statement last month. It will create approximately 7,500 jobs."

This confirms my earlier comments that while Pittsburgh has been a place for some R&D or even headquarters, it is not a prime candidate for major manufacturing of the products. IMHO the region needs to land some of these major manufacturing facilities employing thousands in order to really advance economically.
I couldn’t agree more. Economic diversity is still very much needed in western pa. It leads to suppliers setting up shop nearby and more business expanding. A lot of these plants hire a variety of people with various educational and skill sets providing good pay.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:22 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:

Also:

It still goes back to what I said earlier..."pittsburgh" has almost no flat land, a requirement to build anything of any size. all the flat land was in the flood plain and because it was on waterways, was used for ore processing into materials. look at the real estate requirements for ANY plant...you are only getting that in pittsburgh if you raze downtown, and even still, its all flowing downhill.

you could argue that since the mills are gone (anyone ever run up the mon from the point to braddock locks?) all that land could become manu plants, cept all the developers are turning it into condos and shopping which brings in more money and less EPA complaints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh