Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 03:58 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is happening due to too many teachers being out with COVID for the sub pool to deal with. There's really no alternative to being all remote other than just closing the schools until the teachers get back.

My daughter's school is affected, but she's in 7th grade and thankfully mature enough to leave home alone these past few days. Thankfully my son's elementary school is still open for the moment.
To be fair you and/or your spouse are also in the fortunate positions where if your son's elementary school shut down for the rest of the schoolyear you could probably alternate going into the office or working from home to make sure you are home with him to assist him with his cyber-studies. One mom that I work with does not have that luxury, and this week has been a nightmare for her with her son's school being closed. She and her mother have been alternating taking days off from work to stay home with him as he cyber-learns. If this persists they will both exhaust their PTO stockpile before March.

I really feel like most of the parents online I see who shriek that they want "virtual only" school through June either don't work or can work from home. What about essential worker parents with no safety net who also can't rely upon daycares due to the daycare staffing shortages? If schools go remote only then we need another targeted Federal stimulus that directs funds precisely to essential worker parents who may need to take unpaid leave from work to help their children study from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 05:12 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. Remote learning only so the economy can collapse again as essential worker parents with no safety net are forced back out of their jobs to stay at home with their children to cyber-learn. Sounds brilliant.

Believe it or not some workplaces that are already teetering on the brink of collapse would go over the edge i just one or two more people---parents with no possibility for alternative child-care---had to quit because schools went back to 100% virtual learning.

Not everyone can sit around all day and Zoom in their undies while doing laundry and dishes in between e-mails.
That’s very true but the unvaccinated are the main reason we are still talking about this. Had more people been vaccinated we wouldn’t be dealing with this. Thank your fellow Americans on this one. You know the patriots that stormed the capitol last year. The keyboard warrior mouth pieces that post on here. Those are the folks responsible for this mess. The covey spreaders with no decency, self respect and personal responsibility getting everybody else sick.

I just saw the 7th port authority employee died. Most likely unvaccinated.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:08 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
To be fair you and/or your spouse are also in the fortunate positions where if your son's elementary school shut down for the rest of the schoolyear you could probably alternate going into the office or working from home to make sure you are home with him to assist him with his cyber-studies. One mom that I work with does not have that luxury, and this week has been a nightmare for her with her son's school being closed. She and her mother have been alternating taking days off from work to stay home with him as he cyber-learns. If this persists they will both exhaust their PTO stockpile before March.

I really feel like most of the parents online I see who shriek that they want "virtual only" school through June either don't work or can work from home. What about essential worker parents with no safety net who also can't rely upon daycares due to the daycare staffing shortages? If schools go remote only then we need another targeted Federal stimulus that directs funds precisely to essential worker parents who may need to take unpaid leave from work to help their children study from home.
In 2020/early 2021, we did both indeed work from home during the pandemic while our son was in school. We could do that, but now that my mom is vaxxed/boosted, she doesn't worry about hanging out with our kids like she did back then. She actually drops him off and picks him up from school as it is. I'm sure if it was a short-term thing he could just do online school there now.

My understanding actually is online-only school was much, much more popular among black parents than white parents - both in the district and nationally.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s very true but the unvaccinated are the main reason we are still talking about this. Had more people been vaccinated we wouldn’t be dealing with this. Thank your fellow Americans on this one. You know the patriots that stormed the capitol last year. The keyboard warrior mouth pieces that post on here. Those are the folks responsible for this mess. The covey spreaders with no decency, self respect and personal responsibility getting everybody else sick.

Yes, and the recently retired Deputy Fire Chief, I know firefighters are mostly anti vax as well.:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022...a0ucMSkSt1M2Zw

Old 01-06-2022, 07:28 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

Your narrative doesn’t fit, much like your strawman argument about a few thousand unarmed folks that left peacefully by curfew at 6pm. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...ed-falls-apart

How do you know they weren’t vaccinated?

Old 01-06-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Yes, and the recently retired Deputy Fire Chief, I know firefighters are mostly anti vax as well.:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022...a0ucMSkSt1M2Zw
How do you know he wasn’t vaccinated?

Old 01-06-2022, 08:07 AM

716 posts, read 766,417 times
Quote:

I hear what you're saying, but all this does is underscore how broken the education system is in our country since we cannot disassociate it from childcare. A school's job is to educate, not babysit, and if we want educational outcomes to improve a school cannot and should not focus on both. There is undoubtedly a childcare crisis in the United States. We've had nearly two years to deal with this realization and have made no strides to improve it.

Here's a link to an interesting article about what happens in more civilized places: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/u...are-biden.html

Old 01-06-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yep. Remote learning only so the economy can collapse again as essential worker parents with no safety net are forced back out of their jobs to stay at home with their children to cyber-learn. Sounds brilliant.

Believe it or not some workplaces that are already teetering on the brink of collapse would go over the edge i just one or two more people---parents with no possibility for alternative child-care---had to quit because schools went back to 100% virtual learning.

Not everyone can sit around all day and Zoom in their undies while doing laundry and dishes in between e-mails.
What’s the difference between the economy collapsing this time versus last time when shutting everything down was continuously touted? Zoom was so promoted last time. What’s changed this time?

Old 01-06-2022, 08:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Guys, this shutdown is going to be over and done within a month, max.

The only reason it's happening is too many teachers or other school staff are sick or exposed. Within a week or two, they will all be back. Sure other staff will contract it as well, but we know Omicron peaks rapidly, and then goes away quickly. Hence this isn't going to be an issue into February.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:53 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Guys, this shutdown is going to be over and done within a month, max.

The only reason it's happening is too many teachers or other school staff are sick or exposed. Within a week or two, they will all be back. Sure other staff will contract it as well, but we know Omicron peaks rapidly, and then goes away quickly. Hence this isn't going to be an issue into February.
We're almost two years into "two weeks to flatten the curve". Can you blame people for being extremely skeptical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh