Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 12:31 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,339,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Lots of boomers are retiring and moving to warmer climes.
Always love that excuse, as there’s other states with warmer climates besides Florida, and they’re certainly not moving to California which one can have the opportunity for most any weather they like.

Don’t recall Fitzgerald asking why folks were moving out of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh and moving to Florida and Texas before. How many Boomers moved to Florida in the last 3 years versus 3 years before the plandemic?

Except the weather hasn’t changed the last 3 years since the 3 years prior to the plandemic, hence Florida became the fastest growing state since 1957 and it’s certainly not just muh Boomers moving here, there’s younger folks included. Folks just can’t stop pouring into DeSantisLand from poorly run blue states, and that includes them moving to Texas in droves also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 01:12 PM

194 posts, read 87,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
One bright spot is that given current trends Allegheny County might be larger than Cuyahoga County, OH (Cleveland) soon. We almost did it from 2021-2022, but Allegheny County fell surprisingly harder than expected.

07/01/2020
Cuyahoga County, OH: 1,262,523
Allegheny County, PA: 1,249,524

07/01/2021
Cuyahoga County, OH: 1,247,808
Allegheny County, PA: 1,245,445

07/01/2022
Cuyahoga County, OH: 1,236,041
Allegheny County, PA: 1,233,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Kinda sad when we're comparing with Cleveland on being a better city
As an outsider, I am very surprised the Cuyahoga County and Allegheny County were that close in population.

When I visited Cleveland it felt like a much more dense city and suburbs. I also visited nearby lake county which is the eastern burbs. That also felt more densely populated.

Also, when visiting Pittsburgh I saw how dense it was in the city, but it didn’t seem like the continuous density of cuyahoga county. Meaning once I got past Carnegie towards 79 I thought it was the exburbs and hinterlands. I thought Allegheny County ended before getting on I-79.

Today I looked at a map. I didn’t realize the land size area of Allegheny. According to Wikipedia it’s 730 square miles of land. Then I looked at Cuyahoga and it is 459 square miles of land. Basically land wise Cuyahoga is 61 percent of the size of Allegheny. Then if you threw in lake county it is an additional 227 square land miles with a population of 230,000.

What I am saying is that looks are deceiving. The land of Cuyahoga County and Lake County Ohio is 684 sq miles combined and could fit comfortably inside of Allegheny county together with roughly 46 square land miles to spare, but those counties have a combined population of nearly 1.5 million and are smaller in land area than the entirety of Allegheny. So I guess Allegheny has much underutilized land outside of 3-5 miles of downtown Pittsburgh on the west side.

And Florida just seems to be growing due to retirees.
https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...stimates-show/

Old 03-31-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
And Florida just seems to be growing due to retirees.
https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...stimates-show/
Always love trying to fit this narrative, especially since the number of folks moving here has boomed the last 3 years versus the 3 years prior, and even with some retirees moving here, the median age is still lower than WV. For someone that complains about older folks you obviously live amongst many of them.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:02 AM

194 posts, read 87,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Always love trying to fit this narrative, especially since the number of folks moving here has boomed the last 3 years versus the 3 years prior, and even with some retirees moving here, the median age is still lower than WV. For someone that complains about older folks you obviously live amongst many of them.
Mostly old people over 50 moving from places like California to Florida. It’s safe to say Florida is a retirement home.

The villages are one of the fastest growing metros in the state, but the average age is 60 plus.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...esantis-claims

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-census-2021-8

Old 04-01-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
Mostly old people over 50 moving from places like California to Florida. It’s safe to say Florida is a retirement home.

The villages are one of the fastest growing metros in the state, but the average age is 60 plus.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...esantis-claims

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-census-2021-8
Except it’s more than just old people moving here, and by your age definition, WV is a retirement home with a median age higher than Florida.

According to Florida’s Office of Economic and Demographic Research, our state grew by an estimated 329,717 new residents between April 2020 and April 2021.

According to the Move.org report, 65% of the people who moved were between the ages of 25 and 44 and most people moved between August and October of 2020.

https://florida-edc.org/blog/septemb...here-they-come

Old 04-02-2023, 07:08 PM

369 posts, read 466,047 times
One more data point showing just how bad things have become economically for the Pittsburgh MSA. Contrary to popular belief, at the onset of our ridiculous COVID restrictions this region has lost more residents overall (considering both in-migration and out-migration) to northeast Ohio than it has to Tampa, Charlotte, or Phoenix.

https://ucsur.pitt.edu/perspectives....20230228103131

Old 04-02-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
One more data point showing just how bad things have become economically for the Pittsburgh MSA. Contrary to popular belief, at the onset of our ridiculous COVID restrictions this region has lost more residents overall (considering both in-migration and out-migration) to northeast Ohio than it has to Tampa, Charlotte, or Phoenix.

“onset of our ridiculous COVID restrictions” speaks volumes.

Old 04-02-2023, 08:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,100,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post

Wolf killed our state for sure. Even the Dems know that. He shut us down like only CA and actually even CA could buy wine and liquor. We were the worst state in the 50 and we suffered every bit as much as any other state. We still keep voting in that type though, so we get what we deserve. Florida and Texas on the other hand are going gang busters. Hot as hell, but no one cares because they live free and can actually make up their own minds about things. Sad what our leaders did in PA. We will never recover on any level. Restaurants in FL are doing fine. Here in PA? Closing like crazy still because we haven't been able to get out in so long, we just changed as a society. We are more homebody now. Thanks Wolf and the idiots that voted for another rich idiot, like a Fetterman.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:34 PM

408 posts, read 236,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wolf killed our state for sure. Even the Dems know that. He shut us down like only CA and actually even CA could buy wine and liquor. We were the worst state in the 50 and we suffered every bit as much as any other state. We still keep voting in that type though, so we get what we deserve.
You’re right, we kept voting in majority to super majority republicans for over the past 10 years +. Rigged our state lines (granted both parties do this but in PA, it’s been the R the most). You do know that the republicans could have easily over ruled the liquor items in this state but MOST are for it. You told me a while ago to “read the news”, you should read the bills passed by our state senate and house and see who votes for first before going off the deep end about Democrats.

Quote:
Florida and Texas on the other hand are going gang busters. Hot as hell, but no one cares because they live free and can actually make up their own minds about things. Sad what our leaders did in PA. We will never recover on any level. Restaurants in FL are doing fine. Here in PA? Closing like crazy still because we haven't been able to get out in so long, we just changed as a society. We are more homebody now. Thanks Wolf and the idiots that voted for another rich idiot, like a Fetterman.
I think it’s very easy for people to speak to this, when you’re NOT in the decision making position of COVID and a lot of people are dying (I really don’t care about your personal beliefs on this topic), hard choices have to be made with the information at hand at the time. I lost three family members, my friends lost a few. Sorry but health matters more to some people than crap filled restaurants (which are slowly killing us anyways because the food is typically garbage).

Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
You’re right, we kept voting in majority to super majority republicans for over the past 10 years +. Rigged our state lines (granted both parties do this but in PA, it’s been the R the most). You do know that the republicans could have easily over ruled the liquor items in this state but MOST are for it. You told me a while ago to “read the news”, you should read the bills passed by our state senate and house and see who votes for first before going off the deep end about Democrats.

I think it’s very easy for people to speak to this, when you’re NOT in the decision making position of COVID and a lot of people are dying (I really don’t care about your personal beliefs on this topic), hard choices have to be made with the information at hand at the time. I lost three family members, my friends lost a few. Sorry but health matters more to some people than crap filled restaurants (which are slowly killing us anyways because the food is typically garbage).
Living in fear and shutting it down had great consequences as was easy to see coming. Thankfully Wolf did get his wings clipped from his ridiculous way of handling it, though too late.

https://www.witf.org/2020/06/09/sena...r-concurrence/

He also said he’ll be second guessing his decisions until he dies, while it was easy to see the many of the hUUUgely created problems he was making.

https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/202...iness-waivers/

Last edited by erieguy; 04-02-2023 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh