Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 04:17 PM

10,843 posts, read 4,525,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
"New York, Pennsylvania make top 15 safest states during COVID"

https://www.mytwintiers.com/news-cat...-during-covid/

"Pennsylvania tax revenues stronger than anticipated, $580 million above estimates

The Center Square – Pennsylvania’s tax receipts were strong for March 2022, with the Independent Fiscal Office revising its projections up by $580 million from its August estimate.

Sales taxes, personal income taxes, and corporate net income taxes drove the rise, indicating that the economy is recovering from pandemic-related slowdowns. The labor force participation rate and unemployment rate still have not returned to prepandemic levels, however, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics.

The Independent Fiscal Office’s estimate was closer than the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue’s figures. The Department of Revenue underestimated collections by $659 million. The General Fund collections have been strong through the fiscal year-to-date, totaling $34.1 billion, $2.7 billion more than the Department of Revenue anticipated."

https://www.northcentralpa.com/news/...361814a97.html

so you are saying the central portion of the state grew while the pittsburgh region (the topic) fell? yep. I agree.

lets see why: PAs long arm now extends to ALL internet sales, what was what nearly 30%? low end wages wen up to not so low end, with $15 being the starter norm for late 2020 and 2021 so that went up, and with corporate sending people home, real estate expenditures dropped * a lot*, lessening corporate deductions, raising taxable earnings, AND the final kicker...the free money handed out was indeed spent, raising all 3. in fact, I myself had the strongest year EVER at the store. Yinz were buying my stereos faster than I could restore them.

Funny how truth looks when you research it eh??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 06:34 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,713 times
Interesting to see if PA will cash in on chip manufacturing.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/po...s/202204120087

Old 04-12-2022, 08:44 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Interesting to see if PA will cash in on chip manufacturing.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/po...s/202204120087

Be careful of big companies promising big things. Remember in 2016/17 FoxConn promised something like 50,000 manufacturing jobs in WI? Well the actual number turned out to be roughly 0. Everyone should cheer investments and jobs but PR releases from chip companies aren't really how this all works. Sure, Columbus is getting 3k good paying chip making jobs. Well Pennsylvania added over 200k actual jobs (like they hired people, not they just "announced" jobs), IE, 3k jobs there are a drop in the bucket. A small business going from 10 to 20 employees is how job growth happens and individually, that won't make it into the papers.

In short, don't confuse PR with actual job growth.

What is true is that job the people that lost their jobs the last few years likely don't have the skills to get these "new" jobs. I really feel bad for the turnpike toll workers. They were generally older, likely not a ton of job skills other than cashiering, which is dying. I know there are a ton of people in the same boat, and I don't and I don't think anyone has a good answer.

Last edited by Tweb66; 04-12-2022 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-13-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Be careful of big companies promising big things. Remember in 2016/17 FoxConn promised something like 50,000 manufacturing jobs in WI? Well the actual number turned out to be roughly 0. Everyone should cheer investments and jobs but PR releases from chip companies aren't really how this all works. Sure, Columbus is getting 3k good paying chip making jobs. Well Pennsylvania added over 200k actual jobs (like they hired people, not they just "announced" jobs), IE, 3k jobs there are a drop in the bucket. A small business going from 10 to 20 employees is how job growth happens and individually, that won't make it into the papers.

In short, don't confuse PR with actual job growth.

What is true is that job the people that lost their jobs the last few years likely don't have the skills to get these "new" jobs. I really feel bad for the turnpike toll workers. They were generally older, likely not a ton of job skills other than cashiering, which is dying. I know there are a ton of people in the same boat, and I don't and I don't think anyone has a good answer.
I googled workforce issues. And this article from Licking County (site of new chip plant) came up. Do you think they add to the high tech workforce pressure here? It’s a 2.5 hour drive from pittsburgh at most.

https://amp.newarkadvocate.com/amp/9489672002

Old 04-13-2022, 06:53 AM

1,912 posts, read 738,285 times
No benefit to shutting down:

Quote:
While the study's authors presented their raw data without any specific policy conclusions, the findings are damning for states that imposed harsh lockdowns, which appear to have had little health benefit.

'The correlation between health and economy scores is essentially zero,' say the authors, 'which suggests that states that withdrew the most from economic activity did not significantly improve health by doing so.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...red-worst.html

As I said from the beginning, they should have told the old and sick to stay home and been done with it.

What this accomplished was giving politicians experience in restricting the movement of citizens. You can safely wager these criminals will do it again.

Last edited by Reggiezz; 04-13-2022 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-13-2022, 07:44 AM

987 posts, read 279,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiezz View Post
no benefit to shutting down:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...red-worst.html

as i said from the beginning, they should have told the old and sick to stay home and been done with it.

What this accomplished was giving politicians experience in restricting the movement of citizens. You can safely wager these criminals will do it again.
lol

Old 04-13-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
lol
This is interesting. We shouldn’t have shut it down, yet a dozen or more states have lost population due to more deaths than births. Deaths have spiked over the last year. COVID-19 is number 1 or number 2 in cause of death for every state. The number 1 line of duty death cause for police officers since 2020 has been COVID 19.

I personally think we could’ve managed it better. We had a president in 2020 that didn’t take it seriously. Made vaccines political and resulted in many unnecessary deaths.

It’s funny when you hear these people talk. It’s like they live in a bubble and think the US is the only place in the world affected by this virus. Many countries across the world still have strict policies in place. And we are a global economy and it’s certainly affected supply chains etc.

Had we done nothing, more people would’ve died, states would be more in decline and there would be more open jobs going unfilled. Plus we would still have the supply shortage cause other parts of the world would’ve still done what they did and there would be less people here to process goods and services.

You can’t argue with simpletons. They don’t understand or comprehend the big picture. Not everything is solvable with one slogan, one president, a group of leaders or one government.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
T
It’s funny when you hear these people talk. It’s like they live in a bubble and think the US is the only place in the world affected by this virus. Many countries across the world still have strict policies in place. And we are a global economy and it’s certainly affected supply chains etc.

Had we done nothing, more people would’ve died, states would be more in decline and there would be more open jobs going unfilled. Plus we would still have the supply shortage cause other parts of the world would’ve still done what they did and there would be less people here to process goods and services.

You can’t argue with simpletons. They don’t understand or comprehend the big picture. Not everything is solvable with one slogan, one president, a group of leaders or one government.
1000%. Well stated. Throughout this pandemic, it's clearly been a "catch 22" situation, and the politically-motivated tribal BS vitriol has made it 10-times more difficult to get through it than it had to be.

And yes, it's painfully obvious that people don't understand how the global economy works whatsoever. For example, so many people forget that China, the world's largest exporter of consumer goods, has also been the most COVID-lockdown strict country in the world.

It should be no mystery as to why we're having these issues to anyone with a basic understanding of that fact, yet Americans will continue whine like entitled toddlers when they can't get what they want on demand at the exact same price as though a major disruption to economy never happened. And to boot, they blame politicians who in reality have very little control over something like a global supply chain.

It's as moronic as blaming Biden for your internet connection being weak.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:19 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

It's as moronic as blaming Biden for your internet connection being weak.
Well, to be honest, it is running a little slow today. Never did that before he took office.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:56 AM

10,843 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
This is interesting. We shouldn’t have shut it down, yet a dozen or more states have lost population due to more deaths than births. Deaths have spiked over the last year. COVID-19 is number 1 or number 2 in cause of death for every state. The number 1 line of duty death cause for police officers since 2020 has been COVID 19.

I personally think we could’ve managed it better. We had a president in 2020 that didn’t take it seriously. Made vaccines political and resulted in many unnecessary deaths.

read this: https://www.prb.org/usdata/indicator/deaths/chart/

us biggest jump in deaths per annum occurred long before plague.

plus we are no longer at our replacement rate of 2.1 kids per family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh