Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 04:23 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,333 times

Advertisements

can someone explain to me why local businesses get mixed up in politics

the first example i posted was the square cafe flying the ukrainian flag - what a ukrainian flag has to do with a restaurant that is owned by americans and serves american food i have no idea

there are people of russian descent living in pittsburgh who support putin the same way many americans supported bush during the iraq war - are they not welcome at the square cafe?

now we have another example

Dick's Sporting Goods to reimburse employees who must travel for abortion

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202206240104

"Findlay-based Dick’s Sporting Goods announced Friday that it would provide $4,000 reimbursements for employees who need to travel across state lines to access a safe abortion."

so if i go to dick's and buy $4,000 worth of camping equipment they're gonna give that money to one of their employees to travel out of state to kill their kid?

how about just sell me a bagel or a frisbee and shut the f*ck up

how about dick's can go f*ck themselves and their sh*tty sporting goods business

i hope all these virtue-signaling businesses go bankrupt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 04:51 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,333 times
same sh*t with the steelers and all that national anthem bullsh*t - just shut the h*ll up and play football

i hope the steelers go bankrupt, too

here's an oldie but a goodie

Compilation: Ex Steeler Fans Burning Their Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHRsYi8arc

"These ex steeler fans had enough with the disrespect from there team..."

Old 06-25-2022, 05:42 AM

437 posts, read 187,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post

It's a leftist mindset to show support for the current thing. It's virtue signaling as well. This type of garbage of Team X and Team Y is some bull**** that is prevalent throughout society these days. Many see the current things as a binary choice.

I really don't care for businesses pandering. I prefer to know nothing about the political views of businesses and that goes for whether I agree with it or not.

Michael Jordan supposedly once said that "Republicans buy sneakers, too." Whether or not he said or if it was taken out of context, I don't care because the crux of that statement holds true. If you're a business owner or a CEO, why do you want to potentially **** off half of your customers? And yes, the inverse is true "Democrats buy sneakers, too." The only thing that should matter is running your business as it was chartered to do.

As for Dick's - I don't shop there to begin with because their prices have always been too high but for them to encourage and subsidize employees to cross state lines is beyond the pale. Furthermore, I was led to believe that Kyle Rittenhouse broke the law by crossing state lines. Now Democrats want to do the same thing? Interesting.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 06-25-2022 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM

1,913 posts, read 739,234 times
Some of those Southern Governors won't be happy with this. You would be surprised how large a proportion of people in those states are anti abortion. Ohio has a problem, as the split is dead even. Other than a few states like Ohio, it's clear which way they'll lean.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...tion/by/state/

Old 06-25-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Leftists are unable to anticipate the consequences of their actions. Or... they WANT to close a lot of stores in the South and Midwest voluntarily.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:15 AM

The more I think about this, it's an issue that will speed up the geographic concentration of like-minded people. It's like taxes in that way.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:23 AM

437 posts, read 187,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
The more I think about this, it's an issue that will speed up the geographic concentration of like-minded people. It's like taxes in that way.

Yes, and as far as states go and that's exactly how it should be. Don't like the abortion laws in Texas? Then move to California. And vice versa. Federal Government has been given way too much power over the states. Local and state laws are what should take precedent. Leftists especially love the iron fist of the Federal Government. They love authoritarianism so no surprise there.

What you pointed out is on the state level and that is going to happen but inside the states there is already a concentration of like-minded people when you consider how diametrically opposed cities vs. rural areas are and have been for a while. This is partly why a one size fits all approach of Federal Government making laws isn't optimal. A city dweller doesn't have the same needs as the person that lives in a rural area on 5 acres of land.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:42 AM

I'm opposed to outlawing abortion because the world doesn't need more drug addicted babies who will become psychopaths. You prevent those mothers from getting abortions, that is what you'll get in spades.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:41 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post

the first example i posted was the square cafe flying the ukrainian flag - what a ukrainian flag has to do with a restaurant that is owned by americans and serves american food i have no idea

there are people of russian descent living in pittsburgh who support putin the same way many americans supported bush during the iraq war - are they not welcome at the square cafe?

now we have another example

Dick's Sporting Goods to reimburse employees who must travel for abortion

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202206240104

"Findlay-based Dick’s Sporting Goods announced Friday that it would provide $4,000 reimbursements for employees who need to travel across state lines to access a safe abortion."

so if i go to dick's and buy $4,000 worth of camping equipment they're gonna give that money to one of their employees to travel out of state to kill their kid?

how about just sell me a bagel or a frisbee and shut the f*ck up

how about dick's can go f*ck themselves and their sh*tty sporting goods business

i hope all these virtue-signaling businesses go bankrupt
Why are you concerned about employee benefits? How does this impact you? Live your life and never mind the employee benefit.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Why are you concerned about employee benefits? How does this impact you? Live your life and never mind the employee benefit.
They made it a news item. Virtue signalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh