Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 07:16 AM

10,829 posts, read 4,506,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
wow, thats going back to before we were born....it closed in '73???? that was even before the Bee Gees.

ah, i assumed it was down among the residences....i see it was between Forbes and Fifth. i wonder how that block looked back then.

i do remember forbes avenue as super dumpy. the whole pitt campus area is very nice for an urban campus, compared to its former self. maybe that is true for a lot of urban campus (hopkins, temple, etc....)

lol you utes....bite your tongue. by 1973 the bee gees had 11 albums out for this store to sell. In fact, lonely days - one of my BG favs came out in 1970. had a recording of it from WDVE on 8 track....(to be fair my dad recorded it on his sony deck but I played those 60 minute 'Recoton' 'DVE tapes till they were static)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 07:20 AM

10,829 posts, read 4,506,581 times
btw - trying to research this, the 'free peoples store' exists today in pitt, but appears to be womens apparel? not the first time a pitt icon has been hijacked after its demise, my stereo/record store DBA as 'the sound store ' - some of yinz may remember that, ESPECIALLY the monroeville location.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:48 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
lol you utes....bite your tongue. by 1973 the bee gees had 11 albums out for this store to sell. In fact, lonely days - one of my BG favs came out in 1970. had a recording of it from WDVE on 8 track....(to be fair my dad recorded it on his sony deck but I played those 60 minute 'Recoton' 'DVE tapes till they were static)
The Bee Gees started in what, 1967? That's ok, we forgive him. Though there was a 4th Bee Gees for a while early on. So talented.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:34 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The Bee Gees started in what, 1967? That's ok, we forgive him. Though there was a 4th Bee Gees for a while early on. So talented.
haha - no, i knew they went back a ways....honestly. i meant that 71 is earlier than the BeeGees' heydey with the disco stuff. i actually remember as a toddler being scared by barry and those freakin' chompers of his. he just looked....like an early templater model for Chewbacca, or even Bigfoot.

i wonder if you remember the Walnut Street of that era? an older friend from a past job would tell me that was the energy focal point back in the 60s to mid-70s of the rock people and music culture. not necessarily for record shops....but just for congregating/hanging out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: