Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2023, 05:50 PM

408 posts, read 231,371 times

Advertisements

Keep on fighting to make more improvements to the city steps! I love the steps, and this is the largest amount of money given to it in one drop. Granted they are expensive to fully repair, but I am happy that it is getting some love. The city budget only allocates half a million or less to the steps but we can keep on fighting! I do approve of the method they are using I to plan / allocate this 7 million. Makes sense. When is the last time you used any of the city steps? Below is an interactive map of the City steps.

https://pittsburghpa.maps.arcgis.com...58093c49d38dcc

The City of Pittsburgh received $7 million in federal money to repair and replace city steps as part of a trillion dollar spending bill passed by Congress last year.

This is the largest infusion of funds to repair its city steps in recent memory. But because there is an urgent need for repairs all across the city, it will only help a small fraction of the steps that need i

https://www.wesa.fm/development-tran...illion-upgrade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 05:57 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,196,660 times
That is great news

Last edited by erieguy; 01-23-2023 at 06:18 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 06:14 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Keep on fighting to make more improvements to the city steps! I love the steps, and this is the largest amount of money given to it in one drop. Granted they are expensive to fully repair, but I am happy that it is getting some love...[/url]
there are so few cities on this continent, and maybe a handful across the globe (actual CITIES, not villages connected with steps) that have this amazing network of steps.

i cant believe no one has taken advantage of that for a movie backdrop or an action scene. can you imagine a battle at the top few steps of that monster staircase in Polish Hill, or the one in Summer Hill? with the villain taking a tumble aaaaaaaaaaaall the way to the bottom, where he is rendered unconscious, if not dead?

then of course when the bloodied, worn, bruised hero slowly limps/descends...he finds the villain GONE.

only in Pittsburgh could you get such excitement.

the steps are just amazing....the SS Slopes, Troy Hill to Summer Hill below, the one at Polish Hill that seems a mile high.....

Old 01-24-2023, 04:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Thank you for sharing! Amazing news!

With our finite fiduciary resources the *only* "novelty" steps that should be repaired/replaced would be the Rising Main Avenue steps in Fineview. That is the largest set of steps in the city, and it is an amazing workout! It's also a hidden gem I recommend to tourists to explore if they want to see "old school Pittsburgh" (complete with a bunch of rundown homes at the bottom).

Old 01-24-2023, 08:07 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you for sharing! Amazing news!

With our finite fiduciary resources the *only* "novelty" steps that should be repaired/replaced would be the Rising Main Avenue steps in Fineview. That is the largest set of steps in the city, and it is an amazing workout! It's also a hidden gem I recommend to tourists to explore if they want to see "old school Pittsburgh" (complete with a bunch of rundown homes at the bottom).
I agree and I run these often. An old garden hose acts as a handrailing. The Fineview Step Challenge includes these stairs during their annual October race. I wish the city or someone could save the few homes that remain nearby. They're truly amazing pieces of history.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
there are so few cities on this continent, and maybe a handful across the globe (actual CITIES, not villages connected with steps) that have this amazing network of steps.
Yea the history behind these steps and the actual benefit of a good number of them, goes under looked. Whenever I have guests, I try to take them down a few and actually show how confident they are. As mentioned by others in this thread, you can get a true workout on them lol. I also find it peaceful, just to even stop and enjoy a view or two when you’re on the more scenic steps.

Is there a donation campaign going on at all for the steps? I ask as if there were, I’m sure we could raise a good chunk of cash to be put towards this and try to get outside help for those donations as well. Especially now that potential donators will see that the fed put 7 million towards it. The sticker price for some of these steps still amazes me.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:18 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Keep on fighting to make more improvements to the city steps! I love the steps, and this is the largest amount of money given to it in one drop. Granted they are expensive to fully repair, but I am happy that it is getting some love. The city budget only allocates half a million or less to the steps but we can keep on fighting! I do approve of the method they are using I to plan / allocate this 7 million. Makes sense. When is the last time you used any of the city steps? Below is an interactive map of the City steps.

The City of Pittsburgh received $7 million in federal money to repair and replace city steps as part of a trillion dollar spending bill passed by Congress last year.

This is the largest infusion of funds to repair its city steps in recent memory. But because there is an urgent need for repairs all across the city, it will only help a small fraction of the steps that need i

https://www.wesa.fm/development-tran...illion-upgrade
The new steps on the Squirrel Hill Green Field border looks amazing. The concrete steps are wider than before.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:38 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
The stairs are a unique feature to Pittsburgh and certainly worth the investment. Money well spent. I recall years ago a survey as to what steps people thought should be maintained. There was a nice interactive map.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The stairs are a unique feature to Pittsburgh and certainly worth the investment. Money well spent. I recall years ago a survey as to what steps people thought should be maintained. There was a nice interactive map.
Here are some good maps for the steps and interactive.

https://pittsburgh-steps.samlearner.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: