Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,338 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My girlfriend and I (late 20's) are moving to pittsburgh rather quickly due to a job offer I just accepted and I figured this place was a great place for advice on where in Pittsburgh to live. We are in our late 20's and want something close to downtown. We are looking to rent either a house or townhouse in a safe area that has modest rent prices. We would enjoy a quieter neighborhood with some older homes that has some good nightlife but not really the college bar atmosphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:16 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
There are plenty of places you could live, can you be more specific on your budget? You have to define "modest rent," is this modest rent compared to the rest of Pittsburgh or the rest of the country? Pittsburgh is pretty inexpensive to live in already compared to a lot of other cities.

For city neighborhoods...
Squirrel Hill is probably the first place that comes to mind given your criteria.
Shadyside is a good choice too, however it is one of the more expensive areas in Pittsburgh.
Southside is a little more "gritty" but still safe and a good place to live, unless you live by the Southside Works then its just nice upscale apartments with price tags to match.
Regent Square & Point Breeze are worth looking at as well, but I would put them a notch lower.

There are other places that would be alright to live in as well, but if you can afford Shadyside or Squirrel Hill or the Southworks area, I'd stick with those especially if you don't know the area yet.

If you want a more subburban community, I'd recommend Ross Township area which is where I live, but there are plenty of other options out there where I'm sure you'd be happy.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I'd also suggest Squirrel Hill might be a good fit given your requirements (with the caveat it is on the expensive end as far as Pittsburgh neighborhoods go) and has a large commercial area. A number of other nearby neighborhoods could be a good fit as well, however, particularly provided you don't mind a very short drive or bus ride to expand your nightlife options. For example, Regent Square (my neighborhood) is just across Frick Park from Squirrel Hill. It has its own little "downtown" with several bars, restaurants, and even an arthouse theater. But I think people in your situation would also periodically want to head over to Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, increasingly East Liberty, and so on to expand your nightlife options. Note, by the way, there are a lot of express bus routes from some of these neighborhoods to Downtown that use the East Busway (a dedicated bus-only highway), which is convenient if you are commuting Downtown.

The South Side could be an excellent choice too--you can't beat it for proximity to Downtown (well, except for Downtown itself), and it has a lot going on. My only caveat is that it can come across as a bit of a college bar area, although there is actually a lot of other stuff going on there.

Last edited by BrianTH; 06-10-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
The South Side could be an excellent choice too-
Except that he said:

"We would enjoy a quieter neighborhood with some older homes that has some good nightlife but not really the college bar atmosphere."

Anyhow, the areas Bong477 mention are good or decent.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
If you like people urinating on your front stoop, by all means live in the Southside.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM

Well, one nice thing about the South Side is that you have a lot of choices when it comes to where exactly you live. For example, if you don't want to live in the heart of the action in the Flats, you can live in the Slopes instead.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,338 times
Thanks for all of your replies. You've been a great help narrowing down Pittsburgh. As far as how much we are looking to spend per month is +-750. I don't know if that prices us out of Squirell Hill or Shady Side.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF View Post
As far as how much we are looking to spend per month is +-750. I don't know if that prices us out of Squirell Hill or Shady Side.
For a house or townhouse, unfortunately it will likely be difficult finding anything in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside around 750.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
You can get a nice one or two-bedroom apratment in Shadyside for $750, but not a townhouse. They start at around $1,500 if you can find them.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,662 times
Hello,
My name is Charles Ott and I am an illustrator from Pittsburgh. Like welcome you/your g/f to Pittsburgh. Take a look at my new website, Steel City Artist | Illustrations of Favorites from around the Pittsburgh area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh