Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 18,598 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am moving to Pittsburgh with my girlfriend and our two cats because I got accepted into Carnegie Yay!

So with that being said, we need to find a safe and affordable neighborhood where we can rent an apartment. This is what we're looking for:

*Pet Friendly (we have 2 cats as said)
*Safe neighborhood (want to be able to walk outside at night)
*Access to public transportation
*Our range is $500-700 per month for a one bedroom

We've researched and researched and have heard that Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, possibly Lawerenceville, Dormont, Oakland and Highland Park might be suitable...HOWEVER we are concerned that we can't afford a place in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside (even if they allowed cats) but as soon as we hear that par say Lawerenceville is safe, someone else says it isn't...so we're terribly confused!

Any help is much appreciated! (we're moving from Michigan!)

Sam and Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 02:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,379,228 times
Lawrenceville is a dump and not really safe. Highland Park isn't very safe either. You can afford Squirrel Hill. Look around.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:35 PM

125 posts, read 398,804 times
I'm not too much help since I'm not super familiar with the east end of Pittsburgh, but I interned at a property company in Shadyside last summer (name withheld because they are not so popular), and they had certain buildings that allowed pets. As far as price, you might be able to find something in Shadyside if you looked around, but it's generally known for being expensive.
Dormont is a nice area, but you would be farther away and would spend more time on the T/bus... but I would guess that it's also cheaper there.
I don't know too much about the other places, but hopefully someone else can help you out!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,072,915 times
Just a note, Lawrenceville has some of the highest property value appreciation in the region.

FYI.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 PM

362 posts, read 919,694 times
I grew up in Lawrenceville. It was tough then and much WORSE now. The new Children's Hospital is driving "some" appreciation but don't be fooled. I go back to PA and "Da Ville" to visit family & friends almost every year. I am VERY glad to no longer live in Lawrenceville. The REALITY is that it remains a bad place to live. It hurts me to say that but it's a fact.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,634 times
You should be able to afford Squirrel Hill in your price range. Take a look at Craigslist. City-Data won't allow me to post links to real estate listings, but I did a search in Squirrel Hill with an upper limit of $700 + cats and came up with what looked like at least 10 different options. It might take a little work, but trust me, you can find a decent place in Squirrel Hill in your range. Shadyside might be another matter...

Carnegie Mellon might also have a housing website with lists of reliable landlords or open spots. Sometimes grad school departments also advertise good, cheap apartments that are passed on from student to student.

As far as other neighborhoods go, you might also try South or North Point Breeze, Park Place, or Regent Square. I personally live in N. Point Breeze (transitional but statistically safer than Lawrenceville or Friendship, also gay-friendly) and commute to the University of Pittsburgh every day - let me know if you would like me to send you a PM about my neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 AM

158 posts, read 527,360 times
YOU CAN AFFORD SQUIRREL HILL IN THAT PRICE RANGE. I got a 2 bedroom in Shadyside for that, even. Here's the trick: YOU REALLY OUGHT TO TAKE A WALK AND WRITE DOWN PHONE NUMBERS OF RENTALS BY INDIVIDUALS (NOT COMPANIES). YOU'LL FIND YOUR DEAL THAT WAY. YOU WILL. I did.

...if you are going to CMU, why would you want to live outside walking distance? Just about all of us grad students live in Shaydside or Squirrel Hill. Come join.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 AM

158 posts, read 527,360 times
...by the way, I know several people who rent 1-2 bedrooms with character in Shaydside for under 700. You can also pay 950 for a rat trap. Go on that walk...

Old 05-18-2008, 04:05 PM

84 posts, read 411,548 times
I don't understand why everyone thinks that Highland Park is dangerous. I live here and I have met nothing but nice people and my neighbors are nice. It's not a horrible area, it's very beautiful actually. Yes it is by East Liberty but sheesh it's East Lib, not Homewood. I drive through East Lib every day and never felt like my life was in danger. I don't think Highland Park gets enough credit because everyone focuses on the "horribly scary" East Liberty.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:35 PM

136 posts, read 167,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowACityGirl View Post
I don't understand why everyone thinks that Highland Park is dangerous. I live here and I have met nothing but nice people and my neighbors are nice. It's not a horrible area, it's very beautiful actually. Yes it is by East Liberty but sheesh it's East Lib, not Homewood. I drive through East Lib every day and never felt like my life was in danger. I don't think Highland Park gets enough credit because everyone focuses on the "horribly scary" East Liberty.
I agree...I always thought Highland Park was a great neighborhood. Never heard of anything dangerous happening there and East Liberty is certainly turning itself around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh