Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

803 posts, read 2,971,982 times

Advertisements

What we have, is not a "Pittsburgh" thing, but a general breakdown in the fabric of society, when you have locals assaulting the Firemen and Cops when they turn off an ilegally-turned-on hydrant. . . . people getting stabbed in the head. . . . . and so many gun crimes in a recent period that it makes me on edge. . . . and I wasn't ever afraid of walking around in the Bronx or Queens. . . . .

The racial divide here is deep, and unfortunately, if you look at the crimes being committed, the vast majority of those I see on the news are either black-on-black, or black-on-whatever.... so, we're back again, to that place where we have to ask: "How do we rebuild the social structure in the black community so that these types of crimes are reduced and to where it's no longer 'cool" to be a thug, anymore"?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,843 times
Too many broken homes and kids without father figures.Until this changes,I'm afraid there isn't a lot that can be done.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM

275 posts, read 629,059 times
That has always been the crux of the issue. But, its not racism that feeds it, in fact many white people are sympathetic to the problems in the black community (myself for one) but there is little support from within. Most blacks are still externalizing the issues, blaming goverment, police, or lack of employment. How do you help when the finger is immediately pointed at you?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 AM

This is a problem the black community will have to tackle on its own.I would not know where to start to even begin to help.As I said before,the problem begins at home.It's all about solid family values,something the black communities seem to lack since there seems to be an over abundance of broken homes.Most white folks don't have the wherewithal to relate to the "black problem".Where in the hell would we find time,since we are busy dealing with our own lives.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM

374 posts, read 1,286,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
That has always been the crux of the issue. But, its not racism that feeds it, in fact many white people are sympathetic to the problems in the black community (myself for one) but there is little support from within. Most blacks are still externalizing the issues, blaming goverment, police, or lack of employment. How do you help when the finger is immediately pointed at you?

It’s good that you’re sympathetic but, that is not what that black communities need. We don’t ask for sorrow, we ask for the same equal opportunities as everyone else is granted.
t’s true that lack of a father figure could be one part of the problem but, there is more then just that. Can someone tell what the excuse was to close majority of recreational centers (of some sort in the “poor” parts of the city? Could someone tell me why kids have to travel to one part of town to go swimming? I was raised by both my parents but, I do have friends that have not. Some of those friends made it and moved out of ‘The Hood” some didn’t. IMO the finger could be pointed at both sides.I know the responses for my questions would be the budgets. Ok but, why have the rec centers and the pools opened in the whiter neighborhoods? No, I am not pulling the race card either but the truth is the truth.

These comments of someone who seen both sides!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
It’s good that you’re sympathetic but, that is not what that black communities need. We don’t ask for sorrow, we ask for the same equal opportunities as everyone else is granted.
t’s true that lack of a father figure could be one part of the problem but, there is more then just that. Can someone tell what the excuse was to close majority of recreational centers (of some sort in the “poor” parts of the city? Could someone tell me why kids have to travel to one part of town to go swimming? I was raised by both my parents but, I do have friends that have not. Some of those friends made it and moved out of ‘The Hood” some didn’t. IMO the finger could be pointed at both sides.I know the responses for my questions would be the budgets. Ok but, why have the rec centers and the pools opened in the whiter neighborhoods? No, I am not pulling the race card either but the truth is the truth.

These comments of someone who seen both sides!
Lack of father figure and lack of family and moral values is the main problem,and you see a lot of it in poor black communities.As I said before it all begins at home.Education is the way to equal opportunity and equality.Black kids have the same opportunity at education today as white kids and need to realize this is the only way out of poverty.Talking like knuckle heads (ebonics) and acting cool will get you nowhere.Just being realistic not racist.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 AM

275 posts, read 629,059 times
Schools are a great tool to address community issues, but even schools and teachers are being marginalized. Again, back to parents, or the lack of them. Colleges are working to actively recruits black students, and also many work places like UPMC, but there are not enough qualified blacks.

From wathcing the news I see and feel that the black community is still living with blinders on. They darn well know who is selling drugs and committing crimes, but say nothing.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Schools are a great tool to address community issues, but even schools and teachers are being marginalized. Again, back to parents, or the lack of them. Colleges are working to actively recruits black students, and also many work places like UPMC, but there are not enough qualified blacks.

From wathcing the news I see and feel that the black community is still living with blinders on. They darn well know who is selling drugs and committing crimes, but say nothing.
I agree with you 100%

Old 08-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Lack of father figure and lack of family and moral values is the main problem,and you see a lot of it in poor black communities.As I said before it all begins at home.Education is the way to equal opportunity and equality.Black kids have the same opportunity at education today as white kids and need to realize this is the only way out of poverty.Talking like knuckle heads (ebonics) and acting cool will get you nowhere.Just being realistic not racist.
Ummm and you know this how? You want to talk about schooling compair the inner city schools and the schools in the suburbs. Now as stated before I could say in the suburbs the schooling is way different. When I lived in Mckeesport I was 3.0 student but when every I started school in the city they wanted to bump me to CAS. If heard so many times teachers saying " who cares I am going to get paid anyways.

It's funny that you mention being racist also. To even think all black kids are "knuckle heads" is being racist. I grew up in a family of five in which none of my siblings never seen a pair of shiny bracelets. Yes, there are time where we talk ebonics and also we talk proper. You want to talk about all the white kids the basically run all over their parents? Honestly in my life time, I've never seen so much disrespect as I seen when chilling with my white homies.

Please for the sake of god stop sterotyping all black people. I admit there are some black families that fit your discription of " knockle heads" but, as a black male with two sons that is hurtful.

P.s. if you really want to know how black families really are pm me, we can hang out togeter.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:25 PM

85 posts, read 308,580 times
Although black communities have a lot of issues, there are a whole lot of welfare queens who are white trash, and can't speak proper english. This is not a problem that is due to one race, it is the lack of guidance from the home and marginalization of education mixed with people idolizing sports and hollywood figures.

All the people who have made it are deemed sellouts from the poor among both black and white races. Other communities (for example, asians) don't ridicule people who have made it, and try to bring them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh