Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times

Advertisements

I have seen my fair share of "Pittsburgh weather sucks" threads in this forum. I will not attempt to comment on the validity of these threads.

My point is; why doesn't anyone talk about the weather when the weather is great?

I can't remember the last time that it rained for any significant duration at my place in the East Suburbs. The sun has been out almost everyday, and the high temperatures have been in the upper 70's to mid 80's with reasonably low humidity. Nice and comfortable at night in the mid 50's to low 60's too - just open the windows and zzzzzzzzzz.

I'm not trying to say that this weather is "the norm" year 'round or anything, so let's keep it reasonable. I was just wondering why we hear all the complaining on the cloudy March days, but nobody defends the beautiful days?

Now, get outside and enjoy Yinz!

Last edited by Johnny C; 08-19-2008 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM

165 posts, read 663,171 times
I am loving this weather, I was prepared for horrible humidity and blazing temps. I hope it stays this way until fall. What's fall like here??

Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times
Yeah - Pittsburgers tend to exaggerate the hot summers here. Yes, it gets humid but usually not for long extended periods. Normal high temps are the 80's, not the 90's. Anyone from the south would scoff at our "hot summers".

I think september is one of the most beautiful months in PA because it is a nice transition month between summer and fall. Sept. weather is much like it is now, but a little cooler with high temps dropping into the seventies more frequently.

October is my favorite month of the year - the high temps are usually in the 60's and occasionally the 70's (indian summer). The nights are cool and even crisp with the occasional frost. I have even seen snow squalls in October, but they are certainly not the norm. The leaves begin to change early in the month, but don't reach peak colors until ~mid month depending on the weather and some other factors. It really is a great month.

I always love putting on the hoodie and jeans for the first time and then I head out to a high school football game to complete the experience.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
This is my second summer in Pittsburgh and I have loved both of them. Coming from the
South I laugh at Pittsburghers claims of humidity and unbearable heat. The last two have been nearly perfect in my book.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,754 times
the weather has been really nice for about the last month
it was lousy may, june, and the first week of july.
but it has been really nice since

Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The weather has been outrageously nice recently. But I was fine with it in the spring and early summer too ... in fact, currently our lawn and garden are somewhat missing the periodic thunderstorms we were getting a little while back.

Quote:
What's fall like here??

Generally, I'm a fall guy, having been born in October and raised in Michigan, and the falls here are very similar to what I grew up with, which to me is a good thing.

Typically the highs will still be in the high 60s and 70s in September, but the lows will start staying in the 50s. In October the highs will march down through the 60s and into the high 50s, with the lows in the 40s. In November the highs usually keep marching down through the 50s to the high 40s, with the lows getting in the 30s, and we might see our first snow (fun fact: I believe the largest snowfall on record was actually in late November of 1950). Of course all this is just general trends--we will often get freak periods of several days that are either much warmer or much colder than usual.

It should keep getting drier after our June/July rainfall peak until the snow starts up in November and December--in fact, as I recall October may be our driest month on average. But we will also start getting a few more cloudy-but-little-or-no-rain days, like we got back in the spring, and in November that really picks up.

The fall foliage season tends to be nice and long thanks to the extended periods of cool-but-not-freezing nights. And to really extend the season you can take trips outside Pittsburgh. In addition to just driving around, here is a list of some other ways to enjoy the foliage:

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/fall/...ue_foliage.htm

Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
My point is; why doesn't anyone talk about the weather when the weather is great?

Now, get outside and enjoy Yinz!
Cute! But what's to talk about when the weather is great? That's the difference!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cute! But what's to talk about when the weather is great? That's the difference!
There you go, that's the Pittsburgh spirit! Something good is not worth talking about, but when there is something you don't like about the 'burgh, you must complain about it constantly and exaggerate how bad it really is to make this area seem like it's hell on earth.

I saw the sun go behind a cloud earlier this morning, this freakin' town is always so gloomy!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I thought the weather was the standard example of something you can talk about no matter what, hence why it is the default small talk topic.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
There you go, that's the Pittsburgh spirit! Something good is not worth talking about, but when there is something you don't like about the 'burgh, you must complain about it constantly and exaggerate how bad it really is to make this area seem like it's hell on earth.

I saw the sun go behind a cloud earlier this morning, this freakin' town is always so gloomy!!!
You misunderstood me greatly. It's the same reason "good" news doesn't make the newspapers. A string of good weather days is simply not newsworthy, is what I meant. There are more threads on the Denver forum about snow than about sunny days, which vastly outnumber the snow days.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-20-2008 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: