Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:58 PM

240 posts, read 838,094 times

Advertisements

These pictures were taken today at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. Though I now have a new camera, I'm still trying to figure it out, plus I compressed the images to reduce their size, so the photos are not of the highest quality. Phipps was founded in 1893 and is located in Schenley Park. See this map for the location. More information about Phipps can be found here and here. There is no affiliation between me and the posted links.

Carnegie Mellon University as seen from Phipps

Oakland as seen from Phipps

Outside shot of Phipps

Sunken Garden in Phipps

Flowers in the Sunken Garden

Another shot of the Sunken Garden

Desert Room in Phipps

Victoria Room in Phipps

Broderie Room in Phipps

East Room in Phipps

Fern Room in Phipps

Serpentine Room in Phipps

Another shot of the Serpentine Room

Orchid in the Orchid Room in Phipps

Another orchid in the Orchid Room

And another orchid in the Orchid Room

And yet another orchid in the Orchid Room

Plant in the Tropical Forest in Phipps

South Conservatory in Phipps

Back to the gloomy Pittsburgh day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
There's a stark beauty to the gloom. I love bare trees. Bare trees hold promise to the future...

Old 05-18-2008, 06:43 AM

36 posts, read 246,582 times
Beautiful! Does the T (light rail),If so what station? I will be in Bethel Park,how do I get there?Thank you

Old 05-18-2008, 10:51 AM

240 posts, read 838,094 times
Phipps is now showing "Chocolate! A tasty new exhibit." There is no T in Oakland. Driving directions are here (http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/directions.htm - broken link). Map here.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:53 AM

I do not drive.I will be visiting from New York.Is there a bus or subway?
Is this a safe area?Thank you.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytopitts View Post
I do not drive.I will be visiting from New York.Is there a bus or subway?
Is this a safe area?Thank you.
You can take the T Downtown from Bethel Park and then any of the 61A, 61B, or 61C bus routes to Oakland, getting off at Forbes and Bellefield and walking over to Phipps. It is a quite safe area during the daytime.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 AM

32 posts, read 99,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
These pictures were taken today at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. Though I now have a new camera, I'm still trying to figure it out, plus I compressed the images to reduce their size, so the photos are not of the highest quality. Phipps was founded in 1893 and is located in Schenley Park. See this map for the location. More information about Phipps can be found here and here. There is no affiliation between me and the posted links.
Those pictures are beautiful thanks for sharing .........i'm not really a fan of Pgh but when i see beautiful things like that it makes me realize there is some beauty still here in the city..............i really appreciate you sharing those...........thanks again

Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 PM

It is beautiful,and more important to me are the people seem so helpful!
I will be moving in a few years,and thank you all for all your help.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM

299 posts, read 1,009,191 times
Right across the street from Phipps are the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History. Check them out while you're in Oakland, too!

Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Carnegie Museum of Art Homepage

Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM

Great idea.Yes I will be going to the museuems,also.I love museuems,and they are so close.I can't wait to visit me future home.Thank you for the great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh