Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times

Advertisements

Anything in the Pittsburgh metro built between 1720-1840 is fair game for this thread. I originally thought this might be difficult since Pittsburgh is so noted for being a Victorian-era city, but scouting out these areas, I found there is much more Georgian-period architecture in the area that I could reasonably expect to photograph.
The first piece is one of the oddest and most interesting houses I've found in the area. The core of the structure was built somewhere in between 1815-1835 with the wings added sometime before the Civil War. It is located in Scenery Hill, PA.

Ambridge, PA--1820s: There are about 80 of the small brick houses scattered around the town; many are in disrepair while others are bought by private investors.

Old Economy Village is the part of Ambridge, PA that is owned by the state and fenced off from the rest of the city. Like above, most structures are from the 1820s.

The Bradford David House in Washington, PA was built in 1788 and was the home of the Whiskey Rebellion.

The LeMoyne House was built in 1812 in Washington, PA and is one of only 6-8 Historic Landmarks in the country marking the Underground Railroad.

I don't know the name of this house in Freedom, PA, but it was built on the Ohio River in the 1830s by a Philadelphia sea captain.

This building is now the Western PA Conservancy and was built in the 1830s. It is in Downtown Pittsburgh and is Greek Revival.

These buildings are from Washington and Jefferson University. The first, Old Main was built in the 1831 (center building). The other building is from 1793, is Greek Revival. The wings of the latter were added in 1816, also Greek Revival.

This house in the Hazelwood neighborhood of Pittsburgh was built in the 1790s and is obviously under repair.

The Brush Hill Home in Irwin, PA was built in 1798 and was the first "mansion style" house west of the Allegheny mountains.

I don't know if this house is old or not, but it looks old and was very close to the last house!

The Fort Pitt Blockhouse is the oldest extant structure in the city of Pittsburgh and I believe it may be the oldest west of the Allegheny Mountains. It was built in 1764.

This is the Century Inn or Hill's Tavern in Scenery Hill, PA. It was built in 1794 and has operated as a restaurant continuously for 214 years.

Hope you enjoyed it! I leave you with the bonus pic of Primanti Bros. downtown.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,717 times
Nice stuff

Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Hi, ainulinale! Nice to have you back!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hi, ainulinale! Nice to have you back!
Thanks. I missed not seeing you and the others I know on here...it's just I get so obsessed with this site. Hell, I feel I should've written a novel or two with all the time I spend on here!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I like the pix, BTW. Old Economy is near my childhood home in Beaver Falls. We used to take the out of state relatives there. I recall they had some programs there, re-enactments of the Old Economy days. The Harmony Society people laid out Beaver Falls.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Thanks. I missed not seeing you and the others I know on here...it's just I get so obsessed with this site. Hell, I feel I should've written a novel or two with all the time I spend on here!
One of the hardest things I faced out here in California is the notion that brick and stone are BAD HOUSES. Out here in earthquake country, at least.

To me a stone or brick house is the epitome of safe and sound.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Ditto. I think of how many better ways I could have utilized the time it took for me to amass my 10,000+ post repertoire, and it saddens me sometimes. Nevertheless it's wonderful to see you back; you were always one of my favorite Pittsburgh posters, along with BrianTH, Katiana, and guylocke (wherever he went?)

These photos are absolutely lovely. As you probably have already deduced I'm a huge aficionado of the Victorian-era architecture that Scranton is so replete with, but I never realized just how gorgeous the Georgian style was as well. Thank you very much for opening my eyes to a new aspect on architecture!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
One of the hardest things I faced out here in California is the notion that brick and stone are BAD HOUSES. Out here in earthquake country, at least.

To me a stone or brick house is the epitome of safe and sound.
Yeah, the West Coast definitely doesn't have the magnitude of brick and stone work that we have in the East. Oddly enough though I seem to meet people from the West that love Eastern architecture--one who was from Seattle couldn't get over how beautiful Pittsburgh's buildings are. He hated that everything in the West is new.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Ditto. I think of how many better ways I could have utilized the time it took for me to amass my 10,000+ post repertoire, and it saddens me sometimes. Nevertheless it's wonderful to see you back; you were always one of my favorite Pittsburgh posters, along with BrianTH, Katiana, and guylocke (wherever he went?)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
These photos are absolutely lovely. As you probably have already deduced I'm a huge aficionado of the Victorian-era architecture that Scranton is so replete with, but I never realized just how gorgeous the Georgian style was as well. Thank you very much for opening my eyes to a new aspect on architecture!
Thanks again! I really appreciate it. Yes, Victorian architecture is beautiful and so very much defines cities like Pittsburgh, St. Louis and, of course Scranton; but I think Washington DC represents the height of those styles.

The old city of Allegheny area of Pittsburgh has some great Victorian stuff too though:

Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,172 times
really nice photos. i never thought that western pa had a lot of that style of architecture. reminds me of areas around lancaster pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh