Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 13,832 times

Advertisements

I lived in Gibsonia when was 5-10 years old and have lived at the jersey shore since. Needless to say it is far too expensive to live here and the job market is SAD. I have been looking at moving back to Pitt I have never stopped loving the city since the moment I left (even tho I was a kid) lol - I am looking to move near the city, I want to be able to take public trans or cabs at night to the clubs and bars so close proximity owuld be good. I come from the safest town in the US so I deff want to feel safe and secure in the neighborhood I choose. My boyfriend and I would be able to pay up to abut 900 per month and would prefer a 2 br apartment with decent room. I have seen alot of office jobs which is up my alley but he is more of a hands on person. He currently does landscaping, are there opportunities for people in Pitt when it comes to working with the elctric, gas company?? I imagine he will end up in a sector like this since he is incredibly hard working and smart. Anyways the thought of moving back to my Pitt is absolutely exciting to say the least!!!! Please offer me some ideas on neighborhoods, jobs, and so on. Thanks guys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
I would try South Side, Oakland or Shadyside.

South Side:
http://www.southsidepgh.com/index_new.htm (broken link)

Oakland:
http://www.onlyinoakland.org/

Shadyside
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadyside_(Pittsburgh)

Old 10-15-2008, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 65,259 times
If you want nice and safe you would need suburb life. IMO, parts of Beechview/Dormont/Mt. Lebo area. (I'm 30 and enjoy quiet, plus I have a 5 year old) both of which you can find apts for $900 and under. I rented on Florida (Mt. Lebo) and my rent was $550 plus g/e. The T was 5 minutes away by foot and cabs can get you home from/to the clubs for about $12.00 ish....life experience...

Oakland is not the quietest with the choppers and parties when college is in (I lived on Meyran/Semple/Parkview/North Craig)

Shadyside is nice, but is a tad overpriced. I lived on Kentucky and Elmer.

Southside I cannot give a yay or nay. I lived in Southside works before it was even a dream. When I was there it was Southside Works was a field.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlst40 View Post
If you want nice and safe you would need suburb life. IMO, parts of Beechview/Dormont/Mt. Lebo area. (I'm 30 and enjoy quiet, plus I have a 5 year old) both of which you can find apts for $900 and under. I rented on Florida (Mt. Lebo) and my rent was $550 plus g/e. The T was 5 minutes away by foot and cabs can get you home from/to the clubs for about $12.00 ish....life experience...

Oakland is not the quietest with the choppers and parties when college is in (I lived on Meyran/Semple/Parkview/North Craig)

Shadyside is nice, but is a tad overpriced. I lived on Kentucky and Elmer.

Southside I cannot give a yay or nay. I lived in Southside works before it was even a dream. When I was there it was Southside Works was a field.

You lived in the field that is now South Side Works? I am glad that things have gotten better for you.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Good paying entry level jobs in the Pittsburgh region are scarce to begin with, but are quickly becoming dinosaurs with the bleak national economy. Fortunately, the cost of living and the reasonable prices of housing help offset the wages that you might earn initially. The key for your boyfriend and you would be to make yourselves more marketable (learn a trade/become better educated).... it means little that your boyfriend is intelligent and hard-working when ironworkers, boilermakers, masons, electricians, nurses, etc. are what employers might need. If I were in your circumstances (and 30 years younger!), I would attempt to contact the various trade organizations and inquire about their apprenticeship programs. He/You may not make much to start, but the future would hold much promise for you.

With winter approaching, the demand for landscaper skills decline significantly... they are usually our local snow removal people. My suggestion would be to find your job(s) first, find your apartment to minimize your travel expenses, and welcome to a great city to live. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 65,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
You lived in the field that is now South Side Works? I am glad that things have gotten better for you.
No Silly

I lived on Wrights Way between 24th and 25th.

I tried the field, but the animals wanted to much for rent, etc. Those little bugger drive a hard bargain.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM

39 posts, read 88,017 times
The jobs aren't here either.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
You should be able to find something in Dormont in your price range without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeWorldwide View Post
The jobs aren't here either.
More here than many other places in the country these days.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 PM

39 posts, read 88,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

More here than many other places in the country these days.
I've been looking for a job for almost 5 months now. Over 150 applications. Very little response aside from - Sorry, but due to the economic uncertainty of the economy we cannot extend a job offer to you.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Excela Hospital has at least 300 job openings right now... they are in Westmoreland County.
Everything from housekeeping through nursing.
Jobs ARE available!

What sort of job are you wanting and not getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh