Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,768 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job at CMU. The rest of us will be moving in June. We want a combo of a decent commute time plus a good school district plus decent taxes. HELP!

What is the commute time from Peters Township? Taxes and school district seem good. What is the best time to get on the road (a.m. and p.m.) if you want to avoid much of the traffic?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 08:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzaro View Post
My husband just got a job at CMU. The rest of us will be moving in June. We want a combo of a decent commute time plus a good school district plus decent taxes. HELP!

What is the commute time from Peters Township? Taxes and school district seem good. What is the best time to get on the road (a.m. and p.m.) if you want to avoid much of the traffic?

Thanks!
Commuting from Peters Township to CMU will be terrible. The best school district within a short commute time would be Fox Chapel School District. Consider housing in Fox Chapel or O'Hara because O'Hara is also part of the Fox Chapel School district. If you live in Fox Chapel, his commute time will be 15 to 20 minutes---30 minutes in the worst imaginable traffice (i.e., rubber neckers looking at an accident). I know this because I drive regularly to Squirrel Hill via the Highland Park Bridge.

There isn't a decent commute time outside of Allegheny County. Peters Townships taxes are low because it's in another county. But out of the townships in Allegheny County, Fox Chapel is among the lowest.

These are the Allegheny County townships with the lowest taxes: Ben Avon Heights, Fox Chapel, Ohio, Kennedy, Indiana, Ross, Liberty, Sewickley Hills, Robinson and Sewickley Heights.

Check out the following site for a detailed listing of some of the lower tax municipalities surrounding Pittsburgh: http://www.twp.cranberry.pa.us/townshipfinances/taxcomparison.htm (broken link)

Fox Chapel is the closest to CMU.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 AM

153 posts, read 685,848 times
Why don't you tell us what you're comfortable spending on a new home and what your idea of decent taxes are?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:29 PM

31 posts, read 128,259 times
I actually work in Peter's a lot as a computer tech. I'm always on the road so I would say that (in terms of taxes) it's better to live outside of Allegheny county. Many people leave in Washington county or sorrunding counties to save on the taxes. Really, it's a difference of 1% which may or may not be a large amount to you. However, different areas here have different expenses and local taxes.

Going from Peters to CMU might be a hike! You will probably have to use rt 19and go through the tunnels, or, you can hop on 79 north and take the highway into town.

Fox Chapel is a nice area though as the person said before this thread. CMU is awesome. Congrats to your husband.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,790 times
Default Taxes as a basis for choosing a home

Wow, with all respect, what a crazy thread! It's old, so hopefully no one is reading it. But just in case...

I am not sure a fractional difference in tax rates is a good way to choose a home. All the suggestions made here would result in hours in traffic every day, burning away any small tax difference in gasoline, sitting in traffic stuck behind some tunnel or bridge. Not to mention dying of boredom in Peters township or wherever.

Perhaps that's why most of the professional CMU staff live in the East End, mostly Squirrel Hill, Greenfield or Regent Square. I think most of the time instead of being quick to reply with a factual-but-misleading answer to an out-of-town poster, it would be better to ask a clarifying question. Like, "Are you sure you want to live in the countryside with nothing to do and doom your husband to hours of commute, while your husband's colleagues meet up regularly for after-work drinks at one another's houses in Squirrel Hill?".

Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piquin View Post
Wow, with all respect, what a crazy thread! It's old, so hopefully no one is reading it. But just in case...

I am not sure a fractional difference in tax rates is a good way to choose a home. All the suggestions made here would result in hours in traffic every day, burning away any small tax difference in gasoline, sitting in traffic stuck behind some tunnel or bridge. Not to mention dying of boredom in Peters township or wherever.

Perhaps that's why most of the professional CMU staff live in the East End, mostly Squirrel Hill, Greenfield or Regent Square. I think most of the time instead of being quick to reply with a factual-but-misleading answer to an out-of-town poster, it would be better to ask a clarifying question. Like, "Are you sure you want to live in the countryside with nothing to do and doom your husband to hours of commute, while your husband's colleagues meet up regularly for after-work drinks at one another's houses in Squirrel Hill?".
Also, Point Breeze, Highland Park, Lawrenceville and Shadyside. Friendship, Morningside and East Liberty also have CMU staff living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh