Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of needy familes here where I live, but I do not live in Pittsburgh, I live in Springfield, MA, There is an oranization we did a food drive, I am pretty poor also, but I also like to help others, I can give you the name of a 501 3-c organization or church to donate too, or if you'd like I can locate a family.
Sicerely and best wishes for the upcoming holidays,
Angela
Springfield College Student (School of Human Services)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces View Post
Holidays are tough for many families. I have looked through many different websites to help families during the holiday, but have not found what I wanted to find. All I would like to do is buy some food, presents, and make Christmas time for a family something that they will remember. We are on hard times, my wife and I have the ability to help people, just looking for someone who need it.

Any ideas?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 PM

137 posts, read 354,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces View Post
Thank you, I will call them today and help. Hopefully this will work out. I love the idea that instead of giving each other gifts, you will give gifts to those children. Thanks again.
Now here's somebody that actually knows what to do with the money God is testing them with....

Old 12-27-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 15,101 times
I’ve always told myself that there are an abundance of good people still living. My friend has four kids, recently relocated from Florida (trying to escape the mental abuse of her kids’ father in 2006), and suffered an aneurysm in September. She survived but was hospitalized for 2 months. Her living arrangements aren’t the best. She’s now living in a home that my mother owns without furniture. Her mom refinanced in 2007 but paid her bills instead of making repairs in the home. The house is poorly insulated, the foundation is cracking, the middle of the house is sinking, there are major repairs needed to be made, rodents in the kitchen and basement, and the rooms don’t have rugs. Her utilities are high and the sewage bill in the town where she lives is double her water bill. She was in a terrible relationship with a guy that took more than he gave. He totaled her car in the summer of 2007 and didn’t think twice about helping her bounce back. She bought a used vehicle form Ultra 1 Motors on Verona road (that has recently closed) which she was constantly repairing. She went to Chrysler for assistance and they leased her a vehicle/bought out the loan from Ultra 1 Motors and now her car payments are almost 600 a month. Needless to say she made a bad investment. She worries every month about paying her bills, paying my mother rent and feeding her kids. But with all that she’s gone through I still look to her as a survivor yet she never asked anyone for assistance. Her kids didn’t have a Christmas this year and it nearly broke her heart; I often wonder why she never sought services from a shelter. Her mother wants to renew her lease but she’s stressed because she can’t afford to pay her.

God bless and Thank you to everyone who donates and volunteers during these hard times.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Hey, at least you still have the internet connected! Heck with the other stuff.
"They have one of those Amish computers that runs on Kerosene."

There was a program in the Punxsutawney area last year.
I do not know anything about it.
But I might guess that it was ran by the Salvation Army.

This agency took donations and used the money to buy a lot of things that a family might need, right down to a full Christmas dinner. There was presents for the kids, food and gifts and maybe even some money.

All the people seemed to get on the bandwagon on this one.

There was a fellow with a new Chevy truck that had his family with him, that was delivering this stuff. Believe me - one family's worth wouldn't fit in two bushel baskets.

They were unfamiliar with my area and so they stopped and asked if I knew where some of these people lived. Now excuse my french, but most of these people were gypsies. They spend their money on beer and cigarettes. But there was one name on the list that really got my dander up.

My mom's next door neighbor was getting a delivery.

I will list some of their possessions and you can decide for yourselves how needy these people are.

They have 4 automobiles. The husband has a brand new jacked up 4 wheel drive pick up truck. The wife has a Tahoe and a new Impala that she drives in the summer time, the other pick up truck looks like new but is only a '96.

They have a speed boat - like what you saw on Miami Vice, with a 200 hp engine on it.

They have at least 3 or 4 ATV four wheelers, all fairly new.

They have at least 3 snowmobiles in the 3 car garage.

New garage in the back yard.

1 - fairly new street bike, Honda or Kawasaki or Yamaha.

1 - John Deere Backhoe

All kinds of guns, the husband collects them.

A outdoor furnace that blows smoke constantly at my parents house and made my sister so sick she has had cancer 3 times and has lost both of her breasts and one of her ovaries and she is only 40 years old.

A house that the previous owners had triple mortgaged which had over $100,000 of work put into it, that they bought for $16,000 from the bank.

The husband works for the gas company and has two company trucks. He came from a job where he did maintenance work for the low income housing and was a supervisor and made darn good money. The wife is also a maintenance worker at the Low income housing and makes good money - because she is a woman and you can't discriminate.

They have three children, each to a different father. The husband was never married and didn't have any children before the marriage and has one child to this woman.

This guy has all kinds of tools and chain saws and stuff and is always working and cutting fire wood and doing all kinds of stuff and going on vacations and stuff and they have money! Add the two incomes together and they probably make over $70,000 between the two of them - in a place where you can buy a old house for $48,000 or less and live like a king because the cost of living is very low.

Even their garage is heated in the wintertime from the outdoor furnace.

Now I can see the gypsies with $1000 worth of toys scattered through the yard and 3 dogs tied to the front porch that are their neighbors down the road.

I can see the gypsies up the road that hit the lottery and paid more money for their half of a house ($18,000) - which was dilapidated and falling down but was the only place they could afford and so they bought it and tried to fix it up. Energy Assistance gave them and their sister down the road last year brand new furnaces.

The sister down the road who's husband sold dope and was arrested and put in jail 3 times and basically lives off relief.

But not the people who has everything and good jobs.
That just makes my blood boil!

You want to help people and all some people do is take advantage of the system.

Last edited by Honest Bob; 11-01-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
We live in Pittsburgh, and could definatly use some help. We are a small family going through some tough times.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Hey, at least you still have the internet connected! Heck with the other stuff.
people can use the internet at the library.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
Default family who could use your generosity

Hello there, I was just doing some research for my church when I came across your post. I wanted to let you know of a family that goes to our church that could use and appreciate your help. This woman is a single mother of 4, she has 2 older boys 14, 8 & 2 small babies 2 1/2 & 1. In the past 4 yrs her life has turned into shambles. Due to an issue she couldnt control her husband left her hi and dry, then she got very depressed when she had her 2 1/2 yr old & deeper into depression with the last little girl. She had been diagnosed with variety of medical conditions which have prevented her from working a normal full time job like she had been used to for her entire adult life. Her youngest son then had been diagnosed with a muscle condition that prevents him from doing the things a normal child could do at the correct age. Due to all this he goes to extensive therapy sessions & doctors appts are plenty. she does all this w/out a car that really runs, as she has problems with it constantly and is at other's mercy for rides here and there. Her mother seems to only help when she's in the spotlight or when the woman pays her (WHICH in my opinion is horrible and greedy) so needless to say if her car isnt working that day or overheating she cannot do the necessary errands she needs to get done for the kids, the boy misses alot of his therapies etc... she cannot apply for toys for tots as it is now closed for applying b/c her car was broken down for the past month or 2 and she didnt have the extra cash to pay her mother for gas to take her anywhere. I feel for this family and we are going to try to help them in any way we can. I have 2 small girls as well so Im going to donate all their old clothes to her little girl so she doesnt have to purchase those at least.

Recently she decided to let the father of these babies back in her life after a very long parting with him due to violance and his alcohol abuse. After 2 weeks he beat her up severely to where her face was so black and blue you could barely notice who she was for awile. Her face had been cracked in 2 spots and other issues with her eyes! She needed to go to PGH hospital to see a surgeon about the facial broken bones however couldnt find anyone to watch the babies or take her both on the same day so it didnt come togethr for her, so she's having permanent pain and other issues going on now as well as the other things already going on in her life.

This woman is a devoted Christan and she still has faith in the Lord, God Bless her soul! She keeps going every day and knowing she doesnt have a thing to put under her tree for the kids she still keeps going. It sais alot for to me and I only wish I could think more like her.

Im telling you this b/c she's in need very badly so if you havent found someone to help I ask that you consider her as a canadate. If you email me I will give you her info

Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 23,909 times
Hi,you should call the children hospital in your area ,you can give gifts to the children that will be their over the holidays,or call a nursing home so many seniors are with out family .

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
My family has started doing the same thing--we are very blessed and have decided for a second year to adopt families instead of giving gifts to each other, to be honest we and our kids really don't need anything and are thrilled to help others during the holidays--we live east and have taken on three families this year (last year it was 4) and I know that there are others--if anyone would like to adopt a family--or would like to assist with us and the three that we have already---please let me know. To give you an idea of what we do--we take care of the gifts for the children, the tree, food and even gifts from the kids to the parents--this is all done through a church in Verona--and is completely anonymous. We can even provide receipts for donations for tax deductions if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading and we wish everyone a safe and happy holiday.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,105 times
I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 2 GIRLS, 14 AND 6. I WORK BUT IM BASICALLY WORKING FOR BILLS AND A ROOF OVER MY CHILDRENS HEAD. IM HAVING A BAD YEAR THE STORE I MANAGED WENT OUT OF BUSINESS I WENT FORM 10 DOLLARS TO 7.25 AN HOUR. I HAVE TRIED CHURCHES ORGANIZATINS I AM EITHER TO LATE, OR HAVENT SIGNED UP ON A LIST.. IF ANYONE KNOWS OR A CHURCH OR ORGANIZATION THAT COULD HELP ME I WOUL APRRICIATE IT SO MUCH!! ALL I WANT IS TO SEE MY KIDS EYES LIGH UP WITH EXCITEMENT AND HAPPINESS. THEY DESERVE THAT. THEY DESERVE TO BE HAPPY AND HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS, IT BREAKS MY HEART TO KNOW THERE MAY NOT BE A CHRISTMAS AT MY HOUSE THIS YEAR..IT BREAKS ME DOWN...PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOW ANY PLACES THAT COULD HELP ME THIS LATE IT WOULD MEAN ALOT TO METHANKS SO MUCHVALERIEvalgil777@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh