Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM

727 posts, read 1,891,564 times

Advertisements

You don't want to move downtown.....like someone else said Downtown is still developing. You might wanna try Oakland,Squirrel Hill,Shadyside or parts of East Liberty. GL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
East Liberty? Why? What areas?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,419 times
When do apartments start taking applications? I've been calling and e-mailing different places, and everybody says that they don't know when they'll have apartments available for July until April.

Is that typical for Shadyside?? Should I wait that late or should I just try to sign up for one now??

Old 12-15-2008, 10:47 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teroko View Post
When do apartments start taking applications? I've been calling and e-mailing different places, and everybody says that they don't know when they'll have apartments available for July until April.

Is that typical for Shadyside?? Should I wait that late or should I just try to sign up for one now??

If a real estate agency has a place available now, they do not want to hold it for a person to move in seven or eight months later. They want to get someone in there ASAP. They do not want to promise the place to a prospective tenant for July if someone can move in sooner. It is not like a hotel or vacation rental. You will probably have to sign a year lease. If someone is moving out December 31st, the person who can move in January 1st will get the place over the person who can move in February 1st even though the February 1st person inquired about the place sooner. Shadyside has a lot of students renting. Pitt gets out of school in April, so that will free up a lot of places as many of these students will go home for the summer. Most agencies at that time can get a better read on availability of their housing inventory. They can deal with it being vacant for a month or so to do maintenance for the new tenant or tenants who will be attending school in the fall or moving to Pittsburgh or whatever. These agencies are waiting on what their current tenants plan on doing after April. Unless you buy a condo or house, you cannot get a place so far in advance. The only way you can do that is if it is a new apartment complex slated to open in June. They would most likely allow you to sign a lease now provided that you meet the criteria.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 12-15-2008 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teroko View Post

Shadyside is a college neighborhood and many apts. get rented by students during the school year. That's probably why they say they won't know until April - to see if leases get renewed or not.

If I own apts. there that are always rented or that rent fast when they are vacant, I may not start taking applications until a month before a lease expires. That could be any month of the year. People other than students also rent there.

If you are going to apply for an apt. a deposit that may not be refundable could be required so make sure you want the place. Usually the first month's rent and the same amount as a security deposit are due at the signing of the lease.

There are more apts. available in Shadyside during the summer because that's not part of a typical school year. If you wait you should have a lot to choose from. Did you look at the Franklin-West site?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 54,626 times
I'm 23 and a college student in Oakland. I think Shadyside or Oakland would be your best bet (preferable shadyside). If you would consider oakland or squirrel hill you would have faster access to the parkway. Cranberry is a good 30 min drive without traffic. With traffic and during rush hour expect 45 min-hour....just keep that in mind.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,419 times
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to move up! =)

Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
Either Squirrel Hill or Shadyside or The Strip District. Oakland is probably a little too dingy for a non-student. The Strip is awesome but housing is limited and pretty expensive, but if you want to live in a hip, modern loft it's a good bet. Shadyside has the most energy and where a lot of the 20 something night life is. Be aware that Shadyside has some sections that aren't as safe as others. Squirrel Hill is a nice combination of urban and quiet, and is pretty safe almost anywhere. All three neighborhoods have a decent Asian population and young professionals. Definitely life in the city if you're in your 20s...that is very smart of you. It's a bit of a trek from Cranberry but it's against traffic.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 AM

95 posts, read 208,115 times
All the areas you mentioned are very nice. You need to walk around and see what you like as far as aesthetics, cost and time to and from your new job.

You should take a look at Mexican War Streets. My Husband and I think we found ourselves a new townhouse and are going to make a offer after Christmas.

Good luck with your new job........Westinghouse is a great company and I wish you well finding a new home.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I would really rethink the Mexican War Streets. No way would I live there unless I had a garage and one hell of a security system. Don't believe the hype, I have a good friend that lives in that area, crime is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh