Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sorry, just not true. One of the major transformations of the 1920's was precisely the use of automobiles by the average American rather than just the wealthy. That is when it started, not the 1950's. Next you're going to spout nonsense like it was all because of Henry Ford and the assembly line.

Still inaccurate. More often than not during the last 40 years San Fransisco real estate has been affordable and even became cheap between 1990-1995. And I moved there in 97. I didn't see it myself in real time, therefore I don't believe it.

I did live in one of the cheaper NEIGHBORHOODS. Wow, that wasn't so hard. It took me 2 seconds to type.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Can everybody please stop saying "nabe"? It's not even a word and for some reason it makes my skin crawl.

I can put all the ignorant boobs on ignore that I want, but then people quote them and I flirt with the idea of deleting my account, which deep down I really don't want to do. I can tune out all the other nonsense, but that word cuts through it all like a laser and I throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Ignorant? .... Why? Cause maybe someone knows more than you, or doesn't share your opinon on how Pittsburgh is more desirable than SF? Come on, SF is known the world over. Pittsburgh is not.....

Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
What nabe did you live in?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
People who used to live here 20 years ago or people who have never lived anywhere else are the bane of the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
That's the BIG problem with realestate in Pittsburgh, the prices creep up. Sure you don't have a bubble there like other cities. But it's nice to actually make a profit off a piece of property too. Whoever bought in NYC or SF before 2000' and sold within the last couple years, made a KILLING!
You know, pittsteelerfan, I have disagreed with you some on CD, but I completely agree with you on this. My parents bought a house in 1956, and we sold it in 1996 for about 4X what they paid for it! That is not much appreciation in 40 years! I was shocked. This was in Patterson Hts, near Beaver Falls.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, pittsteelerfan, I have disagreed with you some on CD, but I completely agree with you on this. My parents bought a house in 1956, and we sold it in 1996 for about 4X what they paid for it! That is not much appreciation in 40 years! I was shocked. This was in Patterson Hts, near Beaver Falls.
I don't know how to multi-quote so it's getting harder for me to respond to their replys. How do you multi-quote?

Ya, Pittsburgh is basically every 20 years a home will double. And that's if you have it updated in many cases. Buying a house and not keeping up with the rest of the nabe, will not do you justice when you try and sell.

The housing bubble bursted. But how much money was made from flipping properties leading up to the burst? None of it was made in Pittsburgh for this very reason.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I don't know how to multi-quote so it's getting harder for me to respond to their replys. How do you multi-quote?

Ya, Pittsburgh is basically every 20 years a home will double. And that's if you have it updated in many cases. Buying a house and not keeping up with the rest of the nabe, will not do you justice when you try and sell.

The housing bubble bursted. But how much money was made from flipping properties leading up to the burst? None of it was made in Pittsburgh for this very reason.
To multi-quote, click on the quote mark on the lower right of the post.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
People who used to live here 20 years ago or people who have never lived anywhere else are the bane of the Pittsburgh forum.
My man, unlike you, I was actually BORN and RAISED in Pittsburgh! Unless I have you confused with someone else, you're a transplant to Pittsburgh. If I'm wrong, by all means say so.

And 'if' someone from Pittsburgh never lived anywhere else, why would they be banned from the Pittsburgh forum?

Are you some kinda of big shot now cause you've lived in a few cities? If so, don't brag about living in the Burg now!.....

Old 03-28-2009, 09:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
What you consider "insanity", others consider the price for living in an internationally known city. And one by the way, one that hasn't lost half it's population in the last 50 years. So to them, maybe you're the "insane one"!.............
Yes, I'm sure they consider all sorts of things, none of which will be particularly rational. The Pittsburgher could easily get a very nice place in the 1000 sq range for $100k and have $400k to spend each summer for the rest of their life in Paris. The fact is that people do the same sort of crap day-to-day regardless of where they live.

Paying 5~10 times more to live in an "internationally known city" is just stupid financially unless you are rich. But guess what? The younger folks that are suppose to buy the overpriced shacks from their boomer elders are now realizing just how stupid it is.

Pittsburgh is not a glamorous city and its very easy to visit other places and think "Oh this is better". But it is the cost vs benefit analysis where Pittsburgh does well. I sorta get a kick out of the youngsters that come to San Fransisco, LA, etc from places like Pittsburgh. The pattern is pretty typical. They come and live like rats in a shoe box and have some fun for a bit and once it wears off realize they are sick of living like they were in a 3rd world country.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, I'm sure they consider all sorts of things, none of which will be particularly rational. The Pittsburgher could easily get a very nice place in the 1000 sq range for $100k and have $400k to spend each summer for the rest of their life in Paris. The fact is that people do the same sort of crap day-to-day regardless of where they live.

Paying 5~10 times more to live in an "internationally known city" is just stupid financially unless you are rich. But guess what? The younger folks that are suppose to buy the overpriced shacks from their boomer elders are now realizing just how stupid it is.

Pittsburgh is not a glamorous city and its very easy to visit other places and think "Oh this is better". But it is the cost vs benefit analysis where Pittsburgh does well. I sorta get a kick out of the youngsters that come to San Fransisco, LA, etc from places like Pittsburgh. The pattern is pretty typical. They come and live like rats in a shoe box and have some fun for a bit and once it wears off realize they are sick of living like they were in a 3rd world country.
You don't believe in the old saying, "You only get what you pay for"? How many of those youngers are moving back to the Burg though? See, the stats just don't back up your statements. Pittsburgh continues to lose people, it doesn't gain them!

P.S. I still don't know how to multi-quote and just pick sentences out of a paragraph!.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh