Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
Whoever said that Pittsburgh is second in the country in being overcast is an idiot.

While Pittsburgh is certainly not the most sunny city in the US, its far from the worst.

And while Philly does have more sunshine, it doesnt have much more.

According to the government ran National Climatic Data Center website, the most overcast city in the USA is Juneau, Alaska, which receives only 30% of the annual possible sunshine. Other very cloudy cities include Quillayute, Wash.; Elkins, W.Va.; Hilo, Hawaii; and Anchorage.

Here is a full list... the first number is the number of years the report has been ongoing, and the number under the month is the % of days that City recieves sunlight for that month.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt

Pittsburgh is around the middle of the pack.
I'll put this in terms so you can understand. Think of ANY MAJOR METRO AREA that could possibly have more overcast. It's easy to think of what a MAJOR METRO AREA is. Almost all of them have Pro Sports teams (especially the NFL).

Now think, how many of those teams that you watch on Sunday have gloomier weather than Pittsburgh? It certainly ain't any teams in the South or West or West coast (with the exception of Portland or Seattle).

P.s. That chart you posted sucks big time, I think it might even be the "medium temps" for the month. It was too hard to read, alot of those numbers looked like there was barely a difference. Especially some place that I know with my own eyes should be alot different. Post something that's readable next time!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM

94 posts, read 422,786 times
I'm sorry if calling you an idiot offended you. I shouldnt have said that, it was rude.

But if you would look at the list I posted, those were major cities.

I have done a lot of traveling, which has included extended stays (6 months plus) in Atlanta, San Diego, Las Vegas, Columbus Ohio, and Ottawa Ontario.

While Pittsburgh is less "sunny" than any of those places, you are worng in saying that it is the 2nd most overcast City in the country behind Seattle, when infact Seattle is NOT even the most overcast city in the Country.

The chart I posted came from a government website... just trying to post something factual, rather than talking out of my ass without facts to back it up.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
pittsteelerfan..

we get it.
You hate Pittsburgh's weather.

But others have different experiences. You do not have to argue every one.
They are entitled to their opinion too!

My daughter does feel that Pittsburgh is WAY better than Seattle weatherwise.
And I don't care how much sun Philly has... it is still Philly.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I'll put this in terms so you can understand. Think of ANY MAJOR METRO AREA that could possibly have more overcast. It's easy to think of what a MAJOR METRO AREA is. Almost all of them have Pro Sports teams (especially the NFL).

Now think, how many of those teams that you watch on Sunday have gloomier weather than Pittsburgh? It certainly ain't any teams in the South or West or West coast (with the exception of Portland or Seattle).

P.s. That chart you posted sucks big time, I think it might even be the "medium temps" for the month. It was too hard to read, alot of those numbers looked like there was barely a difference. Especially some place that I know with my own eyes should be alot different. Post something that's readable next time!
That chart was very understandable after looking at it for 30 seconds. It showed the percentage of time the sun is shining. The first column was the number of years data had been taken. The next 12 columns were the average for each month (% of sunshine). The last column was the average percent for the year.

It was very useful data. It shows the Pgh is very overcast in the winter months peaking with December being the most overcast month. On average according to that data, the sun shines 28% of the time in December. The best month is July, where the sun is shining 57% of the time. Our summer months are comparable to other cities, we take a hit in the winter months though.

Just as an aside, we get sunshine 45% of the time on average throughout the year. According to that data, in some places in Guam and America Samoa (South Pacific) they get less sun on average thoughout the year than Pittsburgh.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
pittsteelerfan..

we get it.
You hate Pittsburgh's weather.

But others have different experiences. You do not have to argue every one.
They are entitled to their opinion too!

My daughter does feel that Pittsburgh is WAY better than Seattle weatherwise.
And I don't care how much sun Philly has... it is still Philly.
Actually, I LOVE Pittsburgh weather. See, this is what happens, someone makes a 'factual' statement, and all of the sudden they must hate the 'city', or something about it. I was just being honest with the OP, that's all. NOWHERE is perfect, NOWHERE! He asked about the weather in Pittsburgh, and said that "sunshine" was very important to him. He said that was the reason he didn't move to Seattle. To me, Pittsburgh and Seattle are VERY similiar in terms of overcast.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Actually, I LOVE Pittsburgh weather. See, this is what happens, someone makes a 'factual' statement, and all of the sudden they must hate the 'city', or something about it. I was just being honest with the OP, that's all. NOWHERE is perfect, NOWHERE! He asked about the weather in Pittsburgh, and said that "sunshine" was very important to him. He said that was the reason he didn't move to Seattle. To me, Pittsburgh and Seattle are VERY similiar in terms of overcast.
I think they're similar in "cloudy days" but the overcast in Seattle is oppressive, and I love overcast.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
That chart was very understandable after looking at it for 30 seconds. It showed the percentage of time the sun is shining. The first column was the number of years data had been taken. The next 12 columns were the average for each month (% of sunshine). The last column was the average percent for the year.

It was very useful data. It shows the Pgh is very overcast in the winter months peaking with December being the most overcast month. On average according to that data, the sun shines 28% of the time in December. The best month is July, where the sun is shining 57% of the time. Our summer months are comparable to other cities, we take a hit in the winter months though.

Just as an aside, we get sunshine 45% of the time on average throughout the year. According to that data, in some places in Guam and America Samoa (South Pacific) they get less sun on average thoughout the year than Pittsburgh.
So, now you're trying to compare Pittsburgh's weather to some tropical island that may even have parts that are considered a 'rain forest'? I can tell most of you people haven't travelled around the country all that much.

States like Florida, California, Texas, Arizona, etc are obviously known for their "sunshine". But who thinks of "sunny" places being in Colorado? Or Nebraska? Or Kansas? People who have travelled extensively around America know what I'm talking about here.

When you walk out your front door in Pittsburgh and the sun is shining, you'll notice the difference. In most places, when you walk out your front and see that it's cloudy, you'll notice the difference. It's the complete opposite of Pittsburgh. Nobody saying that the sun NEVER shines in Pittsburgh, but compared to most other places?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
So, now you're trying to compare Pittsburgh's weather to some tropical island that may even have parts that are considered a 'rain forest'? I can tell most of you people haven't travelled around the country all that much.

States like Florida, California, Texas, Arizona, etc are obviously known for their "sunshine". But who thinks of "sunny" places being in Colorado? Or Nebraska? Or Kansas? People who have travelled extensively around America know what I'm talking about here.

When you walk out your front door in Pittsburgh and the sun is shining, you'll notice the difference. In most places, when you walk out your front and see that it's cloudy, you'll notice the difference. It's the complete opposite of Pittsburgh. Nobody saying that the sun NEVER shines in Pittsburgh, but compared to most other places?
I NEVER compared the weather, I compared the Sunshine, it could very well be a rain forest in that area. I am just stating facts from a study that I thought was interesting.

I lived in Florida for several years while I attended college, and honestly I really didn't notice the difference in sun (other than it being hotter and more intense). Not saying it was not sunnier, I just didn't notice. Maybe I am not the kind of person that needs sunshine to be happy?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM

94 posts, read 422,786 times
Quote:
In most places, when you walk out your front and see that it's cloudy, you'll notice the difference. It's the complete opposite of Pittsburgh. Nobody saying that the sun NEVER shines in Pittsburgh, but compared to most other places?

I can appreciate what you're saying.

But in your orginial argument you said that Pittsburgh was the 2nd most overcast major city in the country behind Seattle... and that is far from the truth.

I posted facts from a government study that confirms my statement.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
I can appreciate what you're saying.

But in your orginial argument you said that Pittsburgh was the 2nd most overcast major city in the country behind Seattle... and that is far from the truth.

I posted facts from a government study that confirms my statement.
Another interesting thing I found in that study, in the months of July - August - September, the sunshine percentage in Pensacola Florida and Pittsbugh is about the same, but they have a big advantage in most of the other months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh