Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:17 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving up that way, seeing this makes me think it must be a pretty good place, since none of this seems real bad to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This Steelers fanaticism seems similar to what people in Buffalo do. I wonder if other former rust belt cities have this for their respective teams.

It happens in the Washington, DC area, too. To a greater extent than Pittsburgh. When Sean Taylor died (was murdered) a couple years ago there was serious talk about closing schools for the day of the local memorial service. They weren't but it was an excused absence if a student went.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It happens in the Washington, DC area, too. To a greater extent than Pittsburgh. When Sean Taylor died (was murdered) a couple years ago there was serious talk about closing schools for the day of the local memorial service. They weren't but it was an excused absence if a student went.
It's always an excused absence to attend a funeral. Denver did not close its public schools after the Broncos won their Super Bowls, or the Avs won the Stanley Cup, or the Rockies made it to the World Series. Having lived in both places (Pittsburgh and Denver), I can honestly say that Pittsburgh is way more sports crazed, especially for the "Stillers".

Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's always an excused absence to attend a funeral. Denver did not close its public schools after the Broncos won their Super Bowls, or the Avs won the Stanley Cup, or the Rockies made it to the World Series. Having lived in both places (Pittsburgh and Denver), I can honestly say that Pittsburgh is way more sports crazed, especially for the "Stillers".

An excused absence, or a school closing, for a football player, that few of the kids had met?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
An excused absence, or a school closing, for a football player, that few of the kids had met?
A funeral is a funeral. Who are the schools to judge whose funeral it is and if it's important to the kid? John Denver's funeral was open to the public here, and I'm sure the schools gave excused absences for that.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This Steelers fanaticism seems similar to what people in Buffalo do.
No no no.....when I lived in Erie, especially in my 20's, I hung around Buffalo a lot and it's nothing like Pittsburgh fans.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,859 times
Default so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
If you aren't originally from the area and aren't a Steelers fan, you will always feel like an outsider. At least I have.
So true! Also if you weren't with the original highs school gang, you are on the outer circle. That is Pittsburgh's problem, if you don't welcome the outside community, your town will never grow and be what you want it to be...Don't brag that you lived here all your life and you still go out with your HS buddies. It makes you seem narrow minded to us newcomers...Us newcomers are what bringing jobs to your kids!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsthecat View Post
So true! Also if you weren't with the original highs school gang, you are on the outer circle. That is Pittsburgh's problem, if you don't welcome the outside community, your town will never grow and be what you want it to be...Don't brag that you lived here all your life and you still go out with your HS buddies. It makes you seem narrow minded to us newcomers...Us newcomers are what bringing jobs to your kids!

It's like that nearly everywhere. I moved from a small NWPA town 25 years ago to where I am now. Same thing there, same thing here. I've been here long enough that a lot of folks "remember" things we "did" in high school-except I was in PA.
The best thing to do is try to fit in, don't whine and complain that you don't, and don't try to overlay your old culture (especially don't say "well where I was before we did it this way").

Old 03-01-2009, 03:59 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsthecat View Post
Well I am a newcomer and I feel perfectly welcome.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Neither did Philly close their schools when the Phillies won the World Series last October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh