Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM

19 posts, read 36,396 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I hope that this is the correct forum for Altoona-Johnstown area. I have put in an offer to purchase some land in Hollsopple which if you are unfamiliar with the area is about 10 mins outside of Johnstown. I came to visit Pennsylvania in early February and found a piece of property that I really like, and it looks like I'll be moving by fall.

But it's just that a piece of property. No septic or home, so I'm going to need your input, I have 2 small children (2 and 6 months) and I have very little time and am feeling overwhelmed already. My husband is a Quarry Manager and is familiar with heavy equipment operation, textiles, etc. he needs some leads for a new job. Also I need some info about the area, personal experiences please. Do you know a great home builder or someone selling a mobile home in the area? I will need a rental for a while and have yet to find one (please leave word if you have any suggestions). Or someone who installs septics or does perk tests? I would also love to hear some stories especially about schools, as this is the reason for the move. Please leave local information, I am so looking forward to the move I can barely contain myself, so I had to come here and ask you guys once more to help me out. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:44 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,190 times
You may be better off posting this in the Pennsylvania forum. Pittsburgh isn't that far from Johnstown/Altoona, but I think the people that would be more helpful to answer your questions are probably better found there... //www.city-data.com/forum/pennsylvania/

Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

285 posts, read 862,189 times
I grew up in the Johnstown area, went to school in Richland School District. Hollsopple is served by Conemaugh Township Schools. A few of my friends went there. I don't have a ton of details about it, but I know it is a pretty good school, and all of my friends enjoyed going there.

Johnstown is a little small, and kind of behind the times, but I love it. It was a great place to grow up. Two restaurants you MUST try - Rizzo's (Italian) on Graham Avenue in Windber, and Coney Island, downtown on Clinton Street. Coney Island doubles as a sight seeing attraction - go around 2 or 3 in the morning and watch the locals stumble in :]

Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks Kate!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM

285 posts, read 862,189 times
Also, while Hollsopple is nice, and Conemaugh Township is a good school district, I have to throw this out there, just because I'm biased, haha.

If you haven't actually purchased this property in Hollsopple, and you don't have your whole heart set on living in Hollsopple, I really suggest looking into into Richland. I don't know what your budget is, but Richland has homes to fit every budget, mostly newer construction. Also, a lot of land in Richland is just being developed, so if you would like to buy a lot and build your own home, that is definitely an option in Richland.

Most of the shopping in Johnstown is in Richland, it's convenient to highways, and the schools really are the best. I say that with my own prejudice aside. Outstanding music program, good sports, and constantly scores best in the region on standardized tests.

Last edited by Kate88; 02-25-2009 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Okay I'll do that right now, thanks again!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
If you are not from the area, I would look for a good local bank -- sorry I have no recommendations -- I'm here in California. The reason you want local vs regional or national, is that a local bank reinvests in its community -- they are the ones handing out construction loans. Maybe they can recommend a builder. You want a builder that is busier, that has contacts. A smaller local builder that has a thriving business. A really small builder might only have one guy that he knows that plasters, and if his plasterer goes batty and lands himself in jail, you're waiting till he finds another plasterer, and then you're BOTH wondering about the quality of his work. A larger guy will have several plasterers at hand and can call another one if the one he subbed out your walls to flakes.

This is totally versus asking a reallly large home builder like Ryan to come in and build. With them, it's my understanding you can't get any real customizing done other than paint colors and carpet and countertops. You're going to get A4-736-B plan, with optional wooden deck.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Great advice, I took it! Found a great contractor, and a great bank! I can't wait to really get there, thanks everybody for the ideas! Oh yeah keep them coming....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh