Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Awesomeo isn't a troll.

Also, it really depends on your definition of suburbs as far as sidewalks go. The city proper of Pittsburgh is surrounded by boroughs that are totally walkable. Past those, maybe there aren't many sidewalks, but "that's true of most places in the U.S."
Who said anything about Awesomo? Not me! Virtually every suburban city in Colorado has sidewalks. In fact, this has been discussed on "General US" before and virtually every suburb from Chicago west has sidewalks. This no sidewalk thing is an eastern trait.

This poster's posts sound bogus to me. This isn't the Denver I know, and I've been here 29 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM

111 posts, read 257,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who said anything about Awesomo? Not me! Virtually every suburban city in Colorado has sidewalks. In fact, this has been discussed on "General US" before and virtually every suburb from Chicago west has sidewalks. This no sidewalk thing is an eastern trait.

This poster's posts sound bogus to me. This isn't the Denver I know, and I've been here 29 years.
Not bogus I assure you, I am referring to the westminster/broomfield area where I grew up, or DTC area, or stapleton, or reunion, etc, all of those types of new outcroppings where once there was field and now there are fully modern *PLANNED* developments. Obviously I was exxagerating a little bit, but honestly the apartment I just lived for the past year in broomfield was built in like 2003 on what was field, next to a strip mall with about 6 stand alone restaurants in the overgrown parking lot.

Go check out what they've done with the old northglenn mall area for example, humungous parking lot strip mall with a killer ittalian resturant called cinzettis and the old biggs has been totally renovated when it's only like 15 or 20 years old to begin with - here it seems everything is like 7 decades old and never been renovated (at least it looks like that from the outside).

I just drove from work to robinson when I got off in rush hour and it was really bad inside pittsburgh but only about 50 minutes on the whole which would be fine. The shopping areas all seemed quite modern like I was used to, but I didn't see a single apartment complex anywhere around there as I looped around the town center area.

Also note, yes I am looking to rent, I'm on a 6-12 month contract job and literally staying in a hotel right now, my fiance is packing my stuff into a truck back in denver as we speak to drive out here in a few days, so I need to find and sign a lease ASAP, that ventana hills place is with the same management company as does a place up in cranberry which sounded mighty nice. Might go view something there or at Montour tomorrow over lunch..

Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
The shopping areas all seemed quite modern like I was used to, but I didn't see a single apartment complex anywhere around there as I looped around the town center area.
I'm not sure that there is anything surrounding the immediate shopping areas of Robinson. I'm not sure if there is anything at The Point at North Fayette (the area of Robinson with Sam's Club, Best Buy, Chipotle, and others). I think they might just be hotels surrounding that part.

Some parts that have residential areas in shopping developments are:

SouthSide Works ... this is the newer part of the South Side with The Cheesecake Factory, Urban Outfitters, and some other smaller chain stores. This isn't really suburban at all. South Side is a neighborhood of the city and this doesn't have big box chains or anything like Robinson.

Welcome to The Waterfront ...this is the Waterfront in West Homestead. Again, hardly suburban. Not as large as Robinson, but larger than South Side Works. Your Target at the Waterfront is going to have a lot more "city" type of folk compared to your Target in Robinson.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I feel like someone is trying to lure awesomo2000 out of the woodwork. I hope it works; I miss his humor.
Actually a post on the general forum MADE me have to sign back up. I read these boards once in a while at work since closing my account. But reading a post on the general board about how if people would just live like everybody in the sprawling suburbs we would not be in this financial mess our country is in right now! It was a riot. He was seriously posting about how this mess is on citizens of N.E. citizens, and living in a McMansion subdivision around Houston was financially responsible. City-data.com at its finest.

To the OP; Can't you just find another job in Denver? If there is no point in moving somewhere and trying to experience another city's culture, and view what makes it different, than what is the point in moving anyways? I grew up in the suburbs and had my first real town experience in State College, PA. I now cringe when I see a homogenous housing subdivision off a highway. Those poor kids that have to grow up in that crap! Again, I have no problem with cool old real suburban towns. It is this new age garbage we built like wildfire in the 90s-ealy 2000s that looks like complete crap and was built on credit from our futureselves that I can't stand. What is wrong with old existing towns, and making them better? Why do we need keep creating more crappy Maranda or Ryan housing subdivisions when a perfectly walkable town? I just don't get this philosophy of homogenous subdivisions and stripmall living. I just hope to God that my nephew's generation sees how incredibly inefficeint and culturally stupid it is and abandon that lifestyle.

Anyways, why did you never give Capitol Hill, Washington Park, Uptown, Highlands, or even Cherry Creek a try. A lot people when they hit 20 who grew up in the burbs are really itchen to move out into the city they either live around or another one. I do have some suburban friends that moved only to live in the burbs. I guess it makes sense. I had a friend from Plum that moved 1,400 miles to Denver when I was out there to live in Arvada. I just could never really understand it.

But to each his own, unless you are harming my environment by your useless sprawl!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo2000returns View Post
Anyways, why did you never give Capitol Hill, Washington Park, Uptown, Highlands, or even Cherry Creek a try. A lot people when they hit 20 who grew up in the burbs are really itchen to move out into the city they either live around or another one. I do have some suburban friends that moved only to live in the burbs. I guess it makes sense. I had a friend from Plum that moved 1,400 miles to Denver when I was out there to live in Arvada. I just could never really understand it.

But to each his own, unless you are harming my environment by your useless sprawl!
I lived in highlands (actually just south of highlands in an older renovated neighborhood, not an older tore down and rebuilt neighborhood) for a year after moving from a well established convenient old area in lakewood, only reason I'm saying I want something modern in pittsburgh is because near as I can tell, old in pittsburgh doesn't mean old like it does in denver where everything was maintained. I could be wrong, but in denver if a building looks abandoned on the outside, it usually is, here they appear to be leasing.

To be sure, I've lived in most parts of lakewood, including belmar towers before they tore villa italia and all of it down to put up what's there now, I've lived in lone tree, boulder, broomfield, DU area, and the highlands.

As to why don't I just find a job in Denver, let me think, might it have to do with an economic crisis putting every other company in a hiring freeze? I got a good job in Pittsburgh so I jumped on it, hopefully in a year when my contract's up the economy will be better and I will be able to find a job back in Denver.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM

when I moved to Denver I just lived in Aurora and never tried to discover anything out about the city.

What are you even talking about old in Pittsburgh doesn't look like old in Denver? It just comes off as you are insulting this city. As if our buildings are falling down. I bet you didn't even see Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, The south side, The Mexican War Streets, Observatory Hill, the Mansions of Point Breeze, and much much more, but already judging this city as, "if a building looks abandoned they are leasing it". Typical suburbinites. Denver has old sections of town like Capitol Hill or Five points, but they are not as extensive to Pittsburgh's old neighborhoods and many of the structure were tore down in Denver. In my opinion, I am happy Pittsburgh kept more of its older structures. When I moved back from Denver, I felt Pittsburgh looked much different and more grittier. However, in a matter of months I loved it, and found it much more charming and more characterfull than Denver's neighborhoods. Colfax may be a long and twisted street, but it is a shame they tore down old buildings for pizza huts, and other chains in the 50s. I would much rather walk down Carson st. on the southside with its full facade of mid to late 1800s buildings. Try to open your mind a little and value the differnce in things. I never could understand the obsession with only like the homogenous 90s strips. My parents are the same way.

Then you made that statement with everything looks like the 1970s style buildings. True, but every city has its 1970s style suburbs and its newer 2000s style suburbs. Aurora was developed in the 70s. It is no different than here.

While you do your little stint here, try to go the carnegie museums, go to the Strip and shop on a Saturday, Take a architectural walk of the Golden Triangle (some amazing architecture downtown), Shop in Squirrel hill, go to Walnut st in Shadyside, walk the neighborhoods of the east end, go to the National Aviary, the Warhol Museum, get drunk on Carson st, ride the inclines, and experience something. Don't just eat at applebess in Robinson.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 AM

I see a brand new built apartment complex (supposedly brand new?) in East Liberty and reading about it gives me the idea it may be something similar to LODO, though maybe before all the rehabilitation there, can anybody tell me if East Liberty is a safe neighborhood now, or does it still have projects like I'm reading it used to?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 AM

297 posts, read 505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
I see a brand new built apartment complex (supposedly brand new?) in East Liberty and reading about it gives me the idea it may be something similar to LODO, though maybe before all the rehabilitation there, can anybody tell me if East Liberty is a safe neighborhood now, or does it still have projects like I'm reading it used to?

I would not move to East Liberty. I mean, maybe if you're a single guy with a gun and a pitbull you might be ok. But, East Liberty still sucks. Taking the EBA will make commuting to downtown great, but there is a lot of thugs in the area and I would not pay the high rent of a new complex to live in that dump.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Comparing Denver neighborhoods to Pittsburgh is very difficult.

Nothing is really like LoDo here. We have Carson St. which has the bars, but LoDo was like Denver's original downtown, and then the newer downtown just crept north as time went on, so you had the high skyscrapers north of Larimer st, and the historic downtown south in LoDo. The Golden Triangle is landlocked so our downtown never really shifted. They just built the higher skyscrapers towards the back like Grant st.

A big difference between Pittsburgh and Denver is Pittsburgh is more oriented in its neighborhoods where Denver has more of its action downtown and along colfax and broadway.

I will try my best, but these are not exactly the same, but close.
The South Side works = Stapleton
Squirrel Hill=Kind of Wash Park. But Squirrel hill is much more urban, and has a much larger business district.
Shadyside=kind of Cherry Creek in that they are the yuppie areas. But shadyside is much older, and a great well kept neighborhood. It reminds me of San fran actually.

Thats really it.

Everything else just doen't even come close to matching up. We have a lot of very urban rowhome neighborhoods like the southside flats, the mexican war streets, lawerenceville that Denver doesn't have anything even close that resemble them. Nothing in Denver really is like Oakland. Auraria campus isn't anything like Oakland. The cities are very differnet actually. I loved East Denver, but it is different. There really is no Capitol Hill neighborhood here. Denver's architecture was different with more western style facades with the large windows. However, there are Robinsons, Cranberrys, and Wexford style suburbs around Denver and every other city!

Also, East liberty is not great, but it is not horrible. Towards the Sharpedge on the friendship side is not as bad. My sister and law lived there when in college. There are far more new apartments being built in Denver with urban infill. They are trying to do that to East Liberty, but it is a while off.

One thing that is very different is Capitol Hill was VERY MIXED. You had a high end condo next to a dumpy apartment like mine. Pittsburgh is mixed in that there are a large variety of different neighborhoods, but not a single neighborhood being as mixed as Capitol Hill. I hope this makes sense.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
The very first time I saw the DU campus, it reminded me of the Pitt campus, and the area around there reminds me of Oakland. Not the same, but similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh