Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM

68 posts, read 246,181 times

Advertisements

I'm moving soon. I've a lot of stuff and a huge couch.although the new place is only a few blocks away, but I'm thinking finding a moving company to help coz I don't have too many friends here, and don't have a truck.

anyone used moving company before? i found some on craiglist but don't know how their reputation is. also how many hours it takes to move my couch, a few small furnitures and say, six big boxes from 2nd flr down and up to 3rd flr just a few blocks away?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasbackup View Post
I'm moving soon. I've a lot of stuff and a huge couch.although the new place is only a few blocks away, but I'm thinking finding a moving company to help coz I don't have too many friends here, and don't have a truck.

anyone used moving company before? i found some on craiglist but don't know how their reputation is. also how many hours it takes to move my couch, a few small furnitures and say, six big boxes from 2nd flr down and up to 3rd flr just a few blocks away?

thanks.
Back when I rented, I used Wilkinsburg Moving Exchange -- (412) 371-3285‎. Their prices were the best, and the crews were always very competent. Through the years, I have recommended them to friends and co-workers, and there was never a complaint. I think it should only take an hour to move the quantity of stuff you mentioned---if you already have everything packed and ready to go.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Last year I actually used Hopes' recommendation for the Wilkinsburg Moving Exchange (not directly--I found it searching here), for about a three-block move, and was very satisfied. Basically, for about the hourly price of a two-man crew from Two Men and a Truck, they supplied a four-man crew (which obviously saves you money since it takes less time). I also called the major movers in Pittsburgh that everyone has heard about, and they were all more expensive.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Thanks for sharing, Brian! I'm so glad to hear that your experience was positive!

Now I feel like my posts here have a purpose, and I'm not just wasting meaningless time on the internet!

Wilkinsburgh Moving Exchange was the most affordable I could find when I was moving, and the team was very efficient. I used them over and over (I moved many times before I became a homeowner) and I was always very pleased with their service.

Funny story. I used them so often that once I got the same crew who recognized me immediately. They walked into my place and said "THIS is REALLY NICE, why would you want to leave here?" I replied, "I'm leaving the man, not the place."

I guess all that moving came to some use here. I've lived almost everywhere!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 AM

94 posts, read 422,837 times
I used 2 Men and a Truck and was very happy. They are friendly and gentle with your belongings. I'd use them again anyday!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
Get your quote in writing. When I moved last August I got a quote over the phone from Sigmund Transfer. They showed up hours late and then wanted to nearly triple the price. Luckily, I didn't have to move on that exact day and I just had some friends help me two days later. It took less than half the amount if time these guys suggested it would.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 124,618 times
Default South Hills Movers

Anyone heard or worked with them? I heard they were good and prices were decent.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:07 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shie0023 View Post
(South Hills movers) Anyone heard or worked with them? I heard they were good and prices were decent.
They are one of the moving companies that lots of people recommend (along with Don Farr), and we used them once. It was an OK experience, but not great: it wasn't a big job and they sent over two young guys. One obviously was very new, and had to be instructed in everything by the other guy. They were also coming from a job earlier in the day, and they were obviously very fatigued in the latter parts of doing our move.

Still, I wouldn't exactly recommend against them, and indeed we got a quote from them when we moved last year. It was just notably more than the Wilkinsburg quote, and we had no complaints about the job the Wilkinsburg guys did, so that is why I wouldn't make South Hills my first recommendation.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shie0023 View Post
(South Hills Movers) Anyone heard or worked with them? I heard they were good and prices were decent.
I moved our offices downtown. The quote from South Hills movers was way too high, and the sales person who came to give the estimate was unprofessional.

I went with George Moving and Storage for the office move. The price was right, they only billed me for the estimated amount (even though we went over the hours quoted), and the entire staff was very professional.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 AM

17 posts, read 124,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I moved our offices downtown. The quote from South Hills movers was way too high, and the sales person who came to give the estimate was unprofessional.

I went with George Moving and Storage for the office move. The price was right, they only billed me for the estimated amount (even though we went over the hours quoted), and the entire staff was very professional.
Thanks Hopes, that's great to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh