Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 05:57 PM

82 posts, read 302,187 times

Advertisements

Here, we would have to pay $600 every July so that 2 of our kids could ride the school bus. We drive them instead because it is cheaper and the schools are only 2 miles away.

We also have to pay $6.50 for a package of 4 trash bags that are bright orange and emblazoned with our town's seal, plus $140 a year for trash pickup once a week.

Both of these costs used to be covered by our property taxes.

Is this happening in the Pittsburgh area too? I almost hate to ask in case I give anyone any bright ideas!

Thanks,
RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:11 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
If you decide to live in Mt.Lebo, all kids either walk or parents drive them, there are no school buses. Most school districts provide transportation in the Pgh area.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 PM

82 posts, read 302,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
If you decide to live in Mt.Lebo, all kids either walk or parents drive them, there are no school buses. Most school districts provide transportation in the Pgh area.
The house we are interested in is .7 miles from the high school. The kids can walk, burn calories, strengthen muscles, use up energy ... that sounds great to me.

Maybe I'll be so happy living in Pittsburgh that I'll greet each morning with zest, and the dog and I will walk them to school. Dog Breath would like that. Maybe the kids wouldn't though.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I'm not aware of any district charging for school buses. At our last house (in Edgewood), I believe we were paying for trash pickup for a while and then they actually stopped that and folded it into property taxes.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
School buses are free here. If your children attended a private school, the school district would have to provide them bus service if it was within 10 miles of the school district border. There's a state law saying that if a school district provides bus service, it must provide it for private school students if the school is within 10 miles, and if it's free to district students it has to be free for private students too. The reason is because private school students's families are tax payers too. To my knowledge, Mt. Lebanon is the only school district in the area that doesn't provide transportation.

We pay for trash collection. This might depend on township. I believe there was a time (might still be a time) when trash collection was free to city residents. Most townships charge for trash collection, but some might provide the service through taxpayer dollars. I think our trash collection costs around $30/quarter, but I'm really not sure what we pay, if anything, these days.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Trash collection is part of property taxes here in the city.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:33 PM

33 posts, read 110,600 times
As other said...I have never heard of any borough / township paying for school bus service.

As for trash...my borough pays $90 a year for trash pickup and they take just about anything.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBSN View Post
As other said...I have never heard of any borough / township paying for school bus service.

As for trash...my borough pays $90 a year for trash pickup and they take just about anything.
Wow, that's cheap! I pay about $30 a month for a weekly pick-up of one garbage can, plus every other week pick-up of recycling bins for paper, plastic, bottles, cans, & yard waste here in the SF Bay Area. Does Pittsburgh or the surrounding areas offer curbside recycling?

Oh yeah, when my kids were in K-8 I had to pay $30 per kid per month during the school year for school bus service. They eventually cancelled the service and I had to drive them. Took about 20 - 30 minutes each way. That's four trips a day. No fun! A time-eater, plus not so great for the environment to have most of the kids in separate cars vs. all on one bus.

Much as I like my relatively low property taxes here in CA, we pay for a lot of stuff ourselves as a result.

Last edited by Goodjules; 04-18-2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention...

Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 PM

33 posts, read 110,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Wow, that's cheap! I pay about $30 a month for a weekly pick-up of one garbage can, plus every other week pick-up of recycling bins for paper, plastic, bottles, cans, & yard waste here in the SF Bay Area. Does Pittsburgh or the surrounding areas offer curbside recycling?
For my $90 / year - I get curbside garbage pickup but we are not required to recycle in my borough due to the number of residents. But my parents live in a borough and they do not pay for trash pickup nor recycling pickup and yes, they get curbside pick up for both garbage and recycling.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I've never heard of anyone NOT having curb side pick up for garbage and recycling in the Pittsburgh area. Years ago, you didn't even need to take your garbage cans to the curb. The garbage men came and took them from wherever you kept them on the property. Those were the good-old-days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: