Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,595,463 times

Advertisements

How about, respect the office, if you don't want to go, don't go, but keep your mouth shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I agree that it was a lame excuse, but, you know, if he had said, "I won't be going because I believe that the President is using meeting with the Superbowl champions as simply some way of creating political capital and I won't be taken of advantage of in that way", I think everybody could respect that.

And if you think about it, he might very well have been feeling that, but not been able to elucidate it...

(Or I could just have a much better line of BS than he does. It's a pity I can't play football like he does.)
It's traditional for the prez to meet with the Super Bowl winners, no? If so, then how does the meeting become a method of creating political capital? If I got invited to meet the president, any president, I'd be there.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM

102 posts, read 296,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I agree that it was a lame excuse, but, you know, if he had said, "I won't be going because I believe that the President is using meeting with the Superbowl champions as simply some way of creating political capital and I won't be taken of advantage of in that way", I think everybody could respect that.

And if you think about it, he might very well have been feeling that, but not been able to elucidate it...

(Or I could just have a much better line of BS than he does. It's a pity I can't play football like he does.)
Considering every president invites every winner of every major sport, there is no political capital involved at all.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,414,066 times
Default Look who cares! a meathead and a mayor and hundreds of thousands...

Who cares, just win another ring, ok... Numerous posting's about the mayor's office, city life, etc will not bring forth the emotion and response as professional sports in Pittsburgh does. Just half of the energy that these teams garner from the public and media redirected towards social and civic cause would be reason to stand and cheer. Opps, I'll be darn mayor Luke has taken on the colors of Pittsburgh's sports teams as his election drive look. Well ok then, go black and gold. get to DC you meathead.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,213,788 times
Quote:
It's traditional for the prez to meet with the Super Bowl winners, no? If so, then how does the meeting become a method of creating political capital?
Quote:
Considering every president invites every winner of every major sport, there is no political capital involved at all.
Just a theory--somewhere along the line, a presidential staffer said, "Mr. President, I think it'd be a great idea for you to have the championship team come for a visit. You know, show the people that, at heart, you're just a regular guy, like them." That is creating political capital.
Quote:

Opps, I'll be darn mayor Luke has taken on the colors of Pittsburgh's sports teams as his election drive look.
Case in point. Political capital. (And Mayor of Pittsburgh is strictly little league, compared to the American Presidency.) Call me cynical, but I don't believe the President blows his nose without somebody considering the political ramifications.

So how would you feel now if the President decided that the Steelers would be the first team in decades that didn't get to meet him?

That rotten SOB President has dissed the Steelers!!

The President is kinda stuck with the tradition now...

(And Mr. Harrison is free to snub the President, because he gets paid a ton of money for knocking people down on Sunday, and the Rooneys' and Mike Tomlin's are the only votes that count in his election.)

Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 AM

371 posts, read 800,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantra View Post
Is this the same idiot who punched one of the cardinals during the super bowl?
Yes, and he should have been ejected from the game, immediately, without regard for his spectacular play earlier in the game.

I like the Steelers and am glad that they won but the officials dropped the ball on that one.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
If I were invited to see the president, you can bet your boots I'd be there!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,552,320 times
James does not like to fly. If he'd kept his mouth shut none of this would be happening. I surely don't fault anyone not wanting to visit Washington DC just because it's a tradition. People have lives regardless of what thier profession is. There is no law saying James had to go. He didn't go after Super Bowl XL, so why is this any different?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,062,180 times
Check out this video of James yesterday at practice....yoo..dude is FUNNY!!! LMAO!!
Video (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/19508856/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,062,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
James does not like to fly. If he'd kept his mouth shut none of this would be happening. I surely don't fault anyone not wanting to visit Washington DC just because it's a tradition. People have lives regardless of what thier profession is. There is no law saying James had to go. He didn't go after Super Bowl XL, so why is this any different?
Doesn't he have to fly to away games, though?

Still crackin' up at that video...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh