Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,384 times

Advertisements

each city has its own identity, and pittsburgh is no exception. that said, which do you think is a bigger influence on pittsburgh, ny/philadelphia; or mid western cities like columbus and detroit. thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Oh Pittsburgh is definitely "nicer and sleepier" - more mid west than east coast. Philly has a much harder edge than even the edgiest parts of the burgh. IMO

Old 05-22-2009, 06:58 PM

152 posts, read 638,837 times
Pgh is definitely more midWest IMO but it still has sort of weird mix of both.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Neither! There is a highlands region between the East Coast and Great Lakes which has a history and culture of its own, one that dates very far back (back to the pre-Revolutionary War period), and Pittsburgh is smack in the middle of this region.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Ah, a question not asking "Which region do you think Pittsburgh falls in?" but rather "Which region has a heavier influence on Pittsburgh?"

To answer the latter, I'd say the Northeast has a heavier influence on Pittsburgh.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:21 PM

250 posts, read 359,563 times
Well we are right on the threshold of East Coast meets Midwest meets South and I'd say attitudes of all three influence our unique culture. I've heard the saying "northernmost southern city in the country" and can easily see where it comes from. Also I think the drastic transition in industry from rust belt giant to medical/technological/educational hotspot has further kept Pittsburgh from falling into any easily generalized cultural norms. Just listen to the accent, tells you all you need to know about uniqueness!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Oh Pittsburgh is definitely "nicer and sleepier" - more mid west than east coast. Philly has a much harder edge than even the edgiest parts of the burgh. IMO
So the midwest is "nice and sleepy"? I think you'd get some disagreement with that from those of us who have lived there. Look at Chicago and Detroit, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Well we are right on the threshold of East Coast meets Midwest meets South and I'd say attitudes of all three influence our unique culture. I've heard the saying "northernmost southern city in the country" and can easily see where it comes from. Also I think the drastic transition in industry from rust belt giant to medical/technological/educational hotspot has further kept Pittsburgh from falling into any easily generalized cultural norms. Just listen to the accent, tells you all you need to know about uniqueness!
I think you're right, in general, but I have never heard that expression about Pittsburgh. I have heard it of DC, also the reverse (northermost southern city).

Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Ah, a question not asking "Which region do you think Pittsburgh falls in?" but rather "Which region has a heavier influence on Pittsburgh?"

exactly. hopefully no one misinterpreted the question. thanks for the replies everyone

Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 PM

102 posts, read 295,604 times
Neither. Pittsburgh is the largest city in Appalachia. And when you live here, you can definitely feel the Appalachian influence in the thoughts/actions/hygiene of the people around you.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I had an epiphany on this yesterday, while discussing all the out of state students that come to the University of Colorado from California. When I was at Pitt, most of the out of state students seemed to come from New Jersey, and there were a lot of kids there from Philly, despite the fact that Pitt is only 30 miles or so from Ohio, and not much more from W. VA. So I would say that Pgh orients east, rather than midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh