Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Beechview isn't even really a Hispanic neighborhood IMO. The Hispanic stores that were there a few years ago are now nearly all closed, and there wern't even any in the Foodland when I was there a few months ago. Now I saw a coulple outside but considering the city of Pittsburgh is only about 1.7% Hispanic there can't be that many in Beechview. In a way Hispanics and Pittsburgh is like apples and oranges. (Well for some reason Flamers fast food joints in the malls seem to only have Hispanics working) I would reccomend Brookline also since it's very close to Beechview and Dormont and it is a decent business district and isn't that out of the way from the big box places in the Robinson area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
I purchased a duplex in Dormont back in the 80's, lived for about 4 years, then kept it as a rental property. After 20 years the value barely doubled, not a great area for investment. I would have kept it but the Dormont taxes area really high, municipal services are mediocre at best and the school district is average. Not a good return on the taxes you pay IMHO.

As to Beechview, not a bad area, but not on the upswing.

Hispanics find welcome mat in Beechview - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
The link for the article didn't work and I remember seeing that article 2 or 3 years ago anyway so it's a little old.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
From the article you posted:

Quote:
Hispanics are the nation's largest minority group, but not in Western Pennsylvania. The nation's estimated 44.3 million Hispanics account for about 15 percent of the population but represent just 1.2 percent of people in Allegheny County -- and even less than that in five surrounding counties.
Hispanics might be fanning out across the country, but there isn't much work for them here. They're not going to come Pittsburgh in droves. And if they do, it won't matter where the OP buys property because they'll most likely move where she lives if she buys lower priced housing.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
From the article you posted:

Hispanics might be fanning out across the country, but there isn't much work for them here. They're not going to come Pittsburgh in droves. And if they do, it won't matter where the OP buys property because they'll most likely move where she lives if she buys lower priced housing.
I doubt we'll see many Hispanics here anytime soon with the economy the way it is. I read on an MSNBC article that Hispanics who do come to the USA still are again staying put in places where there are a lot of them such as CA, NJ, and FL and aren't moving to places with a low amount such as our area. Plus, with the job thing there aren't many for them with the amount of jobs today now equaling the amount here in 1999 because of the recession.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 05-24-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's the demographics on Allegheny County and Hispanics: 1.4% in the entire county.

Allegheny County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Washington county is .9% Hispanic.

Washington County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Heck, there's only 4.5% within the entire state of Pennsylania.

Can we all agree that having a Hispanic population discussion is totally irrelevant for Southwestern PA?
That is not the case, at least a year ago. I used to drive through Beechview every morning on my way to work. There are quite a few living there especially around Broadway. I even got rear ended buy someone who wasn't a legal citizen and didn't have insurance

Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
That is not the case, at least a year ago. I used to drive through Beechview every morning on my way to work. There are quite a few living there especially around Broadway. I even got rear ended buy someone who wasn't a legal citizen and didn't have insurance
That's when you should take that person's plate number and report it to police for the abobe.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
It happened right in front of a police officer, they held him for questioning, not sure what happened to him.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
It happened right in front of a police officer, they held him for questioning, not sure what happened to him.
Well he hopefully and probably got deported. The least that happened hopefully was the cops impounded his car away but since he's illegal he break the law by driving without a license and driving without insurance. Since this isn't somewhere like CA or virginia they probably did depot him for all of the above. Plus I was in Beechview in summer of 2006 and it seemed like it was becoming Hispanic but when I was there in Feb. 2009 I only saw two or three and when I was in the Foodland I didn't see any in there.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 PM

66 posts, read 226,722 times
Shatzy, I have to second the Brookline suggestion, I lived there for a little over a year and can't say enough good things about it. There is a very low population of minorities all together and I'm told it has a very high population of city employed workers, ei. police officers, paramedics, fire fighters, etc. I always felt very safe there and it had a real community feel to it. I also was born and raised in Washington PA. It is relatively safe, compared to the city anyway, taxes are lower but if you're interested in city living Wash is not the place to be. Having lived there most of my life I feel qualified in saying it's a very close minded place. Although it's not an extrememly long trip into Pittsburgh, for some reason Washingtonians think it requires a road trip to come into the city. It's a nice safe place to raise a family but if you're looking for diversity and culture, stay in Allegheny county.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
There are quite a few living there especially around Broadway.
I often hear people walking up and down the sidewalks in Beechview speaking Spanish, but, I wouldn't consider it a sizeable enough population to call it a Hispanic neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh