Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_hey View Post
If architects could give us well insulated apartments to keep noise and neighbors out, there is no reason why someone that has a desk job needs land to mow.
Neighbor noise and smells are the only things I mind about apartment life. You'd think some smart developer would spend a little money making those things go away. Instead, they only spend money on differences you can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 PM

254 posts, read 591,779 times
I think part of Point Park should be developed for residential.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I disagree. It's a historical park. There is plenty of abandoned housing to rehab for residential.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I thought he was refering to Point Park University, not Point State Park. Point Park University does have ambitious plans that include student housing.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM

254 posts, read 591,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I thought he was refering to Point Park University, not Point State Park. Point Park University does have ambitious plans that include student housing.
No, I did mean the Point Park, not the University. Point Park just seems so barren and lifeless. And if by historical, Katiana means it dates from the urban renewal of the 40's, well, that's not historic in the traditional sense to me. Actually, historically, that land was densely developed with residential, retail and industrial uses.

Of course, given its high visibility, the architecture would have to top notch.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times
Well, the park doesn't go back that far, true, but it is the original location of the fort. I prefer having the park there. There's a residential building right on the edge of it already, and I wonder if the new owners of the former state office building might not consider making that one as well. Not that offices don't like views too, of course, but the upper floors especially are in a good spot to have a commanding view of the point.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
When they finish renovating Point Park, and eventually complete the Three Rivers Park concept . . .

Three Rivers Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10150/1061564-109.stm

. . . it will be the centerpiece of one of the most impressive and distinctive urban parks in the United States. I wouldn't think about touching it, at least not until the existing footprint of Downtown couldn't accomodate any more residential--which is a long time off.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 PM

Oh, and Millcraft is indeed considering putting 220 apartments in the State Office Building:

Pittsburgh's apartment market No. 1 - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,832,059 times
Quote:
Q: Are you confident the city center can sustain retail? A lot of people still won't come Downtown to shop.
A: It's a vibrant neighborhood. There's more foot traffic [than our old space]. We have the new [Fairmont] Hotel next door, the new Three PNC Plaza, [retailers] Heinz Healey and Nettleton Shop, Market Square [renovation] is almost finished, and EQT is coming back from the North Side. It's very good.
I say to people, look, if you haven't been down here, you need to see what's going on because it's just lovely. We're really giving people a reason to come. It feels very energetic and positive.
Read more: Third-generation owner steers Downtown Pittsburgh clothier Larrimor's in new location

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Yet another boomeranger story (about a young native who left Pittsburgh for greener pastures, only to eventually find herself returning).

Anyway, I think that question itself is ill-conceived: getting tons of people Downtown just to shop isn't likely to happen, and that is why all the ideas that basically boil down to creating a competitor for suburban-style shopping malls Downtown haven't worked out. But people work Downtown, increasingly people live Downtown, people visit Downtown for business and pleasure--those are the primary people you are after, the ones who also have some other reasons to be Downtown besides just shopping. And I would note that Ms. Michael's answer to the question touched on all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh