Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 26,870 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm a former Pittsburgh resident (8 years back, college) relocating back to the city. My work will be on the Northside on the river, close to PNC park. I'm looking at downtown, Strip District, Northside and Southside living options.

I've lived in Shadyside/Squirrel Hill/Bloomfield and while I'm familiar with the neighborhoods closer to downtown I've never lived in any of them. Have a couple of criteria and questions, and any advice would be really appreciated.

My info/criteria:

-Young(ish) professional, single
-Willing to pay up to $800-900 for one bedroom but prefer to pay a lot less
-Walk or bike to work is a major criterion for me
-Walkable neighborhood is also critical - like to have local options for restaurants, bars, bookstores, coffee, groceries, gym. Reasonable street life and nighttime safety are also essential
-Preferred housing types are loft-style or apartment in older home (basically anything without wall to wall carpet)
-Always try to find a space where I can paint and make other art - could be second bedroom or possibly a separate working art space. Local art class/museum options are a plus.

Questions -

1. Would it be reasonable (and pleasant) to walk or bike to work from Southside or the Strip District to the PNC Park area? Bike trails make the Southside seem doable but I'm not sure if this is an accurate assessment.

2. I know downtown is somewhat dead after weekday working hours and am not sure about the Strip District beyond clubs/bars or Northside. Any thoughts on this?

3. Any thoughts on the following assessment of the neighborhoods?

-Downtown - good for walking to Northside, but dead at night and lacking in some of the more cultural amenities I'm looking for
-Strip District - good for restaurants/arts amenities, but not sure about walkability at night or to work
-Southside - probably my ideal in terms of living situation, but unsure about commute to work
-Northside - know the least about this neighborhood - obviously easiest commute to work but don't get the sense that it'd have any of the amenities I'm looking for beyond the couple of museums

4. Are there other neighborhood options I'm completely missing here?

Your input is really appreciated - thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:00 PM

24 posts, read 73,598 times
Default bike pgh message board

I'd consider posing this question on the bike pgh board. They field questions like this a lot.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:45 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
I wouldn't be so quick to take downtown off the list, it has changed alot in 8 years......Still not a Manhattan subsitute, but it has changed for the better...Penn Av / Cultural District has lots of activity after work hours.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCon View Post
-Downtown - good for walking to Northside, but dead at night and lacking in some of the more cultural amenities I'm looking for
By cultural amenities, what do you mean? Downtown as a lot of cultural amenities if you mean galleries, live theatre, etc.

You might also want to look at Lawrenceville.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/neighborhoods/p/lawrenceville.htmd

Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
I agree Downtown proper might be worth some reconsideration--over the last few years it has started taking off as a residential neighborhood, and I think that trend is likely to continue. It is also extremely convenient to the rest of the Greater Downtown area you are looking at, so in that sense would preserve the most options for things to do on a regular basis.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 AM

315 posts, read 665,026 times
downtown sucks don't move there

Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 AM

ignore the Hometown Haters!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM

315 posts, read 665,026 times
Do you work for the Pittsburgh visitor's bureau

Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM

No - who do you work for Cleveland???? How bout learning to put things into some perspective, rather then your usual overbearing "Pittsburgh Sucks" Rhetoric. Its Lame and Fictional

Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Downtown might be a tad expensive if you want a place big enough to paint. I would try the Mexican War Streets mainly because of price and being so close to work. There is a neighborhood pub and as well as the business on East Ohio Street and Downtown. A close second would be Lawrenceville. More businesses but a further bike ride although you could cross over the 40th Street Bridge and proceed down the trail by the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh