Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times

Advertisements

City Council, mayor embrace controversial five-year recovery plan
- Tribune Review

City Council embraced a controversial five-year financial recovery plan designed to chip away at Pittsburgh's $1.1 billion in debts by seeking to privatize city parking garages, tax nonprofits and possibly charge fees to college students, hospital patients and all-day parkers.
Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he will sign the bill into law today to meet a state-mandated deadline.
"It's good news for Pittsburgh. We're very excited that we were able to reach a compromise, and one that is financially responsible," he said.
The next step would be going to Harrisburg next week and beginning to lobby for state support on revenue sources that require the approval of the Legislature, like levying payroll taxes on nonprofit organizations, he said.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the original source

Last edited by Yac; 07-01-2009 at 02:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I think portions of the proposal makes sense. It's taxing the people who likely don't pay taxes in Pittsburgh---students, patients and commuters. People shouldn't have a free ride using Pittsburgh's services. Personally, I think it's about time UPMC pays more taxes, but the UPMC spokesperson made a good point about the 100 million pledge for the Pittsburgh Promise.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think portions of the proposal makes sense. It's taxing the people who likely don't pay taxes in Pittsburgh---students, patients and commuters. People shouldn't have a free ride using Pittsburgh's services. Personally, I think it's about time UPMC pays more taxes, but the UPMC spokesperson made a good point about the 100 million pledge for the Pittsburgh Promise.
My huge concern though is UMPC and other companies who would relocate to the area may bypass building or relocating in the city and may just go to the suburbs; thus increasing sprawl in an area that should have no sprawl. I think the city should do an incentive to live here with Act 47, such as lowering the EMS tax and the surcharges at colleges and hospitals for people who live in the city limits. That would be a way to get people to move here.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
My biggest gripe about the commuter tax is that it hits city residents too. I own a house in the South Side and I bike to work in the strip district. I already pay high property taxes – and I'm not really a burden on the city's road infrastructure, so why am I getting nailed more? I feel like there should be an alternative commuter incentive that erases the commuter tax for people who use alternate forms of transportation to get to work. There are some federal versions of that, but nothing local.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM

I agree that people who already pay city taxes shouldn't pay extra student, patient or commuter taxes.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I mostly agree about giving a break to City residents, but I disagree a bit when it comes to students: they tend not to have much in the way of income or property while they are students, so they usually aren't going to be paying taxes like most City residents.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I mostly agree about giving a break to City residents, but I disagree a bit when it comes to students: they tend not to have much in the way of income or property while they are students, so they usually aren't going to be paying taxes like most City residents.
Are you saying that you think there shouldn't be a student tax?

Or are you saying that you don't think students who are city residents should get a break since they don't really pay much in taxes?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM

315 posts, read 664,945 times
thanks we can continue pay for the sins that we weren't around here for. i can't wait to leave this city.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
thanks we can continue pay for the sins that we weren't around here for. i can't wait to leave this city.
What "sins" would you be talking about?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
i can't wait to leave this city.
What's stopping you from leaving now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: