Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 57,451 times

Advertisements

ok so ive almost lived here a year, and i still can't get it all straight. So many town names with sub towns and so on. But I am considering to finally buy on the south side slopes on stromberg st...right by the southside works and 27th street.

But i have heard really mixed reviews about the slopes...and i want to make sure I am investing wisely...because i know some not so nice areas are close by.

so what do you think? worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
The Slopes are perfect, if you want Quiet, but still want to close to the action (this being the flats).

I think the Slopes are still largely undiscovered, but are rapidly receiving spill over from the popularity of the Flats.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 PM

76 posts, read 319,396 times
I hope someone will give you a specific answer about Stromberg Street.

I can generally tell you 15 years ago the southside area was a mostly a poor white area. Lots of townhomes (not all) could be bought for under 20K. I can't see why the value of the homes in the flats or slopes would lose any value in the future. So many people (Baby Boomers, Gen X, & now Gen Y) continue to buy the townhomes.

Compare the neighborhood of Carrick to Southside. Carrick continues to fall into a less than favorable neighborhood. Not many Gen Y or Gen X buying in Carrick. Homes set on the market for over a year. The neighborhood now sees a steady sale of drugs and prostitution on Brownsville Road. Southside continues to repair and replace old homes due to a rising market value. Carrick appears to be a good example of the "Broken Windows Theory". Homes are starting to lose value in the Carrick Area because of crime and vacant homes.

"http://www.nasw.org/users/mslong/2008/12_SpreadOfDisorder.htm

For the right price I would have a hard time walking away from any property in the Southside.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
My general feeling is that you can't go too far wrong in the South Side Slopes if you are getting a good view at a decent price. That said, it definitely seems to me like there is some speculation built into the pricing these days, which may be warranted but represents a bit of risk.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,104 times
The Southside Slopes are a nice place to live - close enough to Carson Street to do stuff, but far enough away so that you don't have drunk college kids pissing on your house. However, the Slopes are no longer the secret that they used to be. More and more houses are being snatched up, rehabbed, and sold at astronomically high prices. But, you may be able to find a deal somewhere.

The higher up the Slopes you go the ****tier the neighborhoods get. Also, people will advertise a property as being "on the Slopes" when in reality it is in Carrick or something. Keep this stuff in mind and buyer beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh