Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 AM

137 posts, read 367,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I spent 3 months in Williamburg, Brooklyn, NYC. (I spent a few years in Manhattan, but those 3 months in Williamburg were embarrassing to be white).

UGGH! I like the 'concept' of hipsters....but the 'hipsters' of Williamburg that I met were some of the most annoying people I ever met.

First off, they ALL complain about how they weren't accepted wherever they are from...so they were ALL wearing nearly identical 'hipster' gear to identify themselves as one. If you didn't conform EXACTLY to what it means to be called a 'hipster', then you don't get to be one. So back when I briefly lived in Williamsburg, if you didn't have a baseball cap that said 'MACK' or 'JOHN DEERE' or whatever, then you weren't one.

I also HATED getting off at that subway stop...because NYC is a very multicultural city, but every single young white kid living in the entire city got OFF the fricking train ONLY at that station. Being a 'white person' myself, the last thing I want or need is to be seen as one of those 'white kids' while living in a very exposively dynamic, diverse, international, multicultural city, but trying to conform to a bunch of white kids wearing mack truck hats. It has more farmer mentality written all over it.

That being said, I like the 'CONCEPT' of 'hipsters', just couldn't stand the people. Way too much conformity for me.
Hahaha. Right now I live in Clinton Hill but occasionally take the G a few stops up to Williamsburg for bars and stuff. I love your comment about feeling embarrassed to be white by the hipsters. I've felt that way many times. They are kinda embarrassing.
The New York Times recently ran an article about how the economic downturn has forced a lot of the Williamsburg hipsters to actually find jobs because their parents can't fully support them anymore. The reporter interviewed some local business owners who mentioned that many of the "kids" applying for jobs are in their mid to late 20's and have zero job experience. One guy even said he had a girl complain when he told her the job would require 8 hour days, as if that was some ludicrous concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
To answer the OP's question they are laying in traction while hanging from the ceiling of The Bat Cave.

What's a Hipster?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM

I must be missing something. I didn't see any posts that were overtly offensive towards any one person specifically. It simply looks like a few people are voicing their opinions about the actions of a particular segment of the population.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I must be missing something. I didn't see any posts that were overtly offensive towards any one person specifically. It simply looks like a few people are voicing their opinions about the actions of a particular segment of the population.
Sounds like newbies getting their knickers in a knot....

Same old same old....

Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Back on topic people, please.
Yac.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
So I used to associate with/study the "hipsters". I lived in Seattle and played in a band and frequented the "hipster" bars because that's where my friends were. Then, I left. Then, I went out to L.A. to stay with my real "hipster" friend and scope it out as a place to live. I had the true L.A. "hipster" experience, which I can't recount here for fear of incriminating myself. I wasn't that impressed and I went back to Richmond, VA (somewhat "hip" these days) to regroup. Then I ended up in Pittsburgh! I briefly fell in with a group of "hipsters" and hung out at Gooski's and the Brillobox before realizing how much I couldn't stand "hipsters". Now I live the life of the middle-aged on the outskirts of town and couldn't be happier. And to think, we almost moved to Lawrenceville. Hope this helps.

P.S. The Mattress Factory, while kind of neat, is staffed by truly insufferable "hipsters". Far more intolerable than the Andy Warhol Museum, which surprisingly wasn't that bad at all.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 AM

Where do all the hipsters meet?
South Street, South Street.
Where the dancin' is elite.
South Street, South Street.

Thanks for the post Creepsinc. It sounds like the Hipsters are somewhat offensive to a large number of people in your area. Here in KC the most offensive people are the older generations while the younger generations run a close second. The least offensive people in the KC area inhabit the area cemeteries.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 AM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Shadow Lounge

Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
Shadow Lounge
So this is what Americans consider hip hipster hang out interesting. I on a personal level don't find a place that has a Wednesday Night special of Taco Wing and Margaritas as being hip. Then again this is Pittsburgh's way of being hip i guess.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
So this is what Americans consider hip hipster hang out interesting. I on a personal level don't find a place that has a Wednesday Night special of Taco Wing and Margaritas as being hip. Then again this is Pittsburgh's way of being hip i guess.
Try it on a Tuesday night...Longstanding poetry, open mic night...

But, yeah, you are right...it's Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh