Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times

Advertisements

Have always done the self move with a rental truck or paid movers, but this PODS system looks intriguing. I like the idea of being able to pace the move as you like, and if I need to store items, I like that it comes to me, not me to the storage facility.

Anyone here have experience with the Pittsburgh or Greensburg PODS franchise, and can tell me about your experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 AM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
I don't have any experience with the PODS. But I'll be interested to see the answers here.

If I ever move again, I'd use PODS (or something similar, there are some others out there). And here's how I'd do it:
- Arrange to get the POD at my move-out-of place.
- Go to a local moving company and get pricing on bpxing/packing, or bpxing, packing and loading the POD. Tip: many of moving guys do it as day labor, and you might be able to hire on eor two people for a day directly, not through an actual moving company (Craigslist woud be an alternative here).
- Get the POD transported to move-in place.
- If you need help, go to any local moving company (or craigslist) and get hire some muscle for the day.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
I used PODS when I moved up here from Florida and it was a GREAT experience! It was so much less stressful to be able to load and unload at my convenience and just give PODS a call when I was ready for them to pick it up. They were on time picking up the POD and delivering it from FL to PA, and not a single item moved and inch in transit, there was no damage whatsoever. Of course, you pack it so it's really up to you how well you pack everything in to prevent damage. But they certainly do take care of the POD in delivery, unlike most moving companies that directly handle your stuff and inevitably break or lose something.

I had the POD in my driveway for a whole week once I got up here and took my time unloading everything while I waited for a friend to come down and help me. Even though I moved 1000 miles, it was the least stressful move I ever did. This move would have been HELL with a rental truck.

So yeah, I highly recommend PODS.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Here's the approximate conversation I had when I when I tried to use PODS:

"Hi, I need a POD dropped off."

"What's your current ZIP code?"

"601XX."

"I see. Are you moving?"

"Yes ma'am."

"After the pod is loaded, will you need it dropped off at your new address?"

"Yes ma'am."

"And the ZIP code of your new address?"

"606XX."

"I'm sorry sir, but we can't drop off in that ZIP code."

"Why not?"

"Because we cannot drop off a pod in the city of Chicago."

"Why not?"

"Because there isn't enough space to drop off our pods in the city."

"So this has nothing to do with city ordinance or anything?"

"No, it's a space thing."

"Oh. Well my new place is pretty far up on the northwest side. My neighborhood is mostly single-family homes, and I have a driveway. Shouldn't be a problem."

"I'm sorry, we don't operate in the city of Chicago."

"So if I needed a drop-off in Harwood Heights or Norridge which are surrounded on all 4 sides by the city and are no different from the city neighborhoods around them, you could do that?"

"I presume so."

"But not for someone who lives just outside of Norridge?"

"Is your new address in the city, sir?"

"Yes, it is, but I have a driveway."

"Sorry, we don't operate in the city."

"But I have a DRIVEWAY."

"Sorry sir, I can't help you."

Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
From what I researched, PODS are a good deal for local moves but for distance moves vary a lot in how much they cost compared to other solutions. I've moved a few times running the spectrum from doing it myself to hiring professional full service movers. Moving yourself is obviously cheapest, but I can think of few things I hate more than hauling heavy furniture and boxes. Hands down the best value was hiring people to load and unload the truck and renting the biggest drive it yourself truck available. There was enough space (and some left over) to move a 3 bedroom house... cost about 1/4 of what full service movers were charging. If you have a huge place, it might not be enough space though. The labor was about $20/person/hour ballpark, cost somewhere around $400 total to load and unload everything.

I don't see the big attraction to PODS and similiar unless you need temporary storage.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I like the PODS idea too, though I've heard they're expensive.

Just to run down some other ideas:

SAM is a competitor, same exact idea as PODS far as I can tell: sam portable storage and moving containers. let sam lend a hand

Now, the boxes like that apparently you can have at your place indefinitely. If you don't need to have the box/truck hanging around quite that long, another similar option is ABF U-Pack. http://www.upack.com/ They drop off a trailer, I think you get a week to load, then after you secure a divider in the truck they fill the rest with LTL (less than truckload) freight. Then it gets hauled to the other location, and after they unload the freight they drop it at your new place where you get a week to unload. You pay only for the space you actually fill. Seems like a better option for longer move vs a local one, but may still work even for local.

For a full service mover, esp local, try Two Men and a Truck: http://www.twomenandatruck.com/ Have heard very good things.

I like the idea of having several days to load and unload stuff, but it's possible this could be achieved just as easily by renting a drive it yourself truck for a week, maybe for less $$, I don't really know. When it comes time to do this again, that's something I'll price out and see. Although I don't really want to carry all the crap, I certainly don't put much trust in day labor. I think day labor is what made our office move a few years ago kind of a wreck. Never ever use Don Farr (I think this has been mentioned before). They were our second choice. We tried to get South Hills Movers, who have a good rep, but they wouldn't return our calls!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Here is my recent experience with PODS.(yesterday) I filled out the info for a quote on their site. I requested a "move & storage" from WY to PA. Storage for 9 months in PA. My quote back was $2,905.77. Spoke with a manager yesterday. He proceeds to tell me that the quote was for "1 MONTH". Drop off POD, move to PA, store for 1 month...............$2,905.77!!!!!!! He then tells me that for each additional month the storage fee, including tax & insurance would be $248.00/month!!!!!!

I told him I put in storage for 9 months on their site and the quote DID NOT specify a "1 MONTH" price. Needless to say, I will PASS on the "deal" from PODS! Can you say HIGHWAY ROBBERY????

Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
I don't think that's that bad a quote really for such a long move depending on how much stuff you had. 5 years ago it cost us about $600 more than that to move a 2 bedroom apartment worth of stuff from Norfolk VA to Pittsburgh and I priced around (had quotes as high as twice as much).

Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
I don't think that's that bad a quote really for such a long move depending on how much stuff you had. 5 years ago it cost us about $600 more than that to move a 2 bedroom apartment worth of stuff from Norfolk VA to Pittsburgh and I priced around (had quotes as high as twice as much).
Jeez. Seeing how my furnishings are basically "college-eclectic," I think for that much money I'd just put all my crap except personal items on craigslist, put whatever doesn't sell in the alley and let the scrappers scoop it up, and start over in my new town -- which hopefully would have an Ikea nearby.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 PM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
This is a quote for ONE container. He never said what size and I never asked as I was stunned when he told me the 1 month price and the monthly price.

Container size choice is 8'x8' or 8'x16'. Either way you are not making a whole house move with ONE. Not even close.

My move will be paid for by employer. I am going to put "storage & garage" stuff in a storage unit while my house is being built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: